Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Homeless expert lays out Sarasota County plan 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This is going to be a fucking disaster.

By Jessie Van Berkel
    Published: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 10:21 a.m.

SARASOTA - After years of an erratic approach to homelessness that even landed Sarasota the title of the nation's meanest city, the community has a clear path to get people into housing and the apparent political will to make it happen.

Facts

Read more about the proposals put forth by Robert Marbut in his draft report, Homeless Services Gaps Analysis of Sarasota County, presented to the Sarasota County Commission Tuesday night.

Over the past four months, homelessness consultant Robert Marbut has evaluated 65 sites for the location of an adult homeless shelter.

He narrowed the field to four top choices based on proximity to existing programs and the county jail, buffers around the facility, whether there was a willing seller, cost, size and site-readiness.

CLICK HERE to see an interactive map of the proposed homeless shelter sites.

Those sites are:
    • 1003 N. Washington Blvd.
    • 1121 Lewis Ave.
    • 1330 N. Osprey Ave. and/or 1530 N. Osprey Ave.
    • 1800 East Ave.

Marbut also found six sites that are possibly viable and possibly available:
    • 295-625 S. School Ave.
    • 1022 10th St.
    • 1060 Goodrich Ave.
    • 1502/1562 N. Lime Ave.
    • 1761 17th St.
    • 3941 Butler Ave.
    That path is outlined in a 55-page report from consultant Robert Marbut, who was brought in to address the very visible homeless population. And the will is evident in the interest of deep-pocked foundations, local agencies and politicians.

These shit-for-brains Libtards in the City of Sarasota are going to try and
    turn Sarasota into a HomeLess Haven that is going to attract every piece
    of scum in SW FL.

The article in the paper is incredible!!! They have no concrete plan yet but like Obamacare,
    they just want to "start"!!!

These so called plans are just Libtard wet dreams!!

My plan is much more simple and cheaper. Ship them to Naples. Naples FL that is.

I just can't believe the utter stupidity of "these people". You're going to take a resort
    city like Sarasota and fill it with homeless!!! Oh boy, that'll help the property values!!!
    These people are idiots!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    I guess the first question would be: Is there an example of a homeless shelter that is clean, safe, productive, and not damaging to the area around it anywhere in this country? I ask because I am not aware of such a place.

As a rule I maintain that if government is involved in housing the poor, the better idea is to scatter them rather than build a permanent poverty zone. I notice that he thought it was a good idea to put the homeless near the jail. Do homeless people work at the jail? Wouldn't a better place to house the homeless be trailers on the edges of the tomato fields? Then, if a trailer became too disgusting you could just haul it to the dump.

PS - I am not being snide. I really think that if we could get some poor people to work in the fields their lives and health would improve and we could send some of the Mexicans and Guatemalans packing.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    This is going to be a fucking disaster.

These shit-for-brains Libtards in the City of Sarasota are going to try and
    turn Sarasota into a HomeLess Haven that is going to attract every piece
    of scum in SW FL.

The article in the paper is incredible!!! They have no concrete plan yet but like Obamacare,
    they just want to "start"!!!

These so called plans are just Libtard wet dreams!!

My plan is much more simple and cheaper. Ship them to Naples. Naples FL that is.

I just can't believe the utter stupidity of "these people". You're going to take a resort
    city like Sarasota and fill it with homeless!!! Oh boy, that'll help the property values!!!
    These people are idiots!!!
    Two words: Santa Monica.

This formerly lovely ocean side beach town is now a homeless haven.

The problem with the homeless is that they want to be, like everyone else, near the beach in a warm climate. The fact that working middle class people pay a lot to live there doesn't mean anything to the homeless nor to their "advocates."

Most of the homeless you see are males and many are mentally ill. The females and their children are often living in cars and are often not safe in homeless shelters.

Banned
    It's even happening here in Hawaii. In Waikiki and such.

It's gotten so bad,some like me want them shipped out of hawaii and brought to the mainland

http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/20...k-to-mainland/

Give them all shells like turtles.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Two words: Santa Monica.

This formerly lovely ocean side beach town is now a homeless haven.

The problem with the homeless is that they want to be, like everyone else, near the beach in a warm climate. The fact that working middle class people pay a lot to live there doesn't mean anything to the homeless nor to their "advocates."

Most of the homeless you see are males and many are mentally ill. The females and their children are often living in cars and are often not safe in homeless shelters.
    I lived in Venice for a couple of years, right on the line with Santa Monica, and it was truly wretched. The city would prosecute businesses that tried to keep the homeless away, so you'd get hassled for spare change while you were eating at a sidwalk cafe on the promenade or otherwise given all manner of grief. Crime rose in direct proportion to the number of homeless in the area. I remember one incident where a bum had broken into my jeep and stolen the CD player, breaking the dashboard in the process. The bum probably got about $5 for the player, but I had to spend over $300 to repair the damage. It would have been cheaper and easier to leave vials of crack on the seats.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I lived in Venice for a couple of years, right on the line with Santa Monica, and it was truly wretched. The city would prosecute businesses that tried to keep the homeless away, so you'd get hassled for spare change while you were eating at a sidwalk cafe on the promenade or otherwise given all manner of grief. Crime rose in direct proportion to the number of homeless in the area. I remember one incident where a bum had broken into my jeep and stolen the CD player, breaking the dashboard in the process. The bum probably got about $5 for the player, but I had to spend over $300 to repair the damage. It would have been cheaper and easier to leave vials of crack on the seats.
    I had a friend who lived in Venice, which is now infested with gang activity. She used to lie flat on the floor at night in case the flying bullets from the gang fights came through her window.

Increasing the number of homeless and not allowing businesses to defend themselves lowers the standard for everyone and definitely contributes to crime. It's like that old "broken window" theory: if a neighborhood has run down houses with broken windows, criminals will assume nobody will care if they set up shop there. The same with allowing the homeless to run rampant. It's not their lack of home that is the issue: that could be easily solved with shelters. It is their constant aggressive (often mentally unhinged) behavior that ruins a place.

When I lived in LA, I also had the CD player stolen from my car. There's no one to call when that happens; the police just laugh at you.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Some of the Bay and Gulf front condos here have yearly property
    taxes of 20 - 60K. I'm sure having a thriving homeless "Village"
    here is going to encourage real estate investment...

Then these same pinheads in county gubmint are going to wonder
    why people are dumping their properties.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by hai View Post
    It's even happening here in Hawaii. In Waikiki and such.

It's gotten so bad,some like me want them shipped out of hawaii and brought to the mainland

http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/20...k-to-mainland/
    I thought they were already relocating the homeless there, I did not realize they decided not to.

Our homeless just live in the desert and really do not bother anyone.