Thread: Reid, Democrats trigger ‘nuclear’ option; eliminate most filibusters on nominees

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,125
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Loss Prevention RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    We are screwed, no way the senate is going to go R for quite a while, kiss your 2nd amendment rights away among many other freedoms, once these courts are packed with liberal scum many freedoms we enjoy will go bye bye

    I agree.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I agree.
    only if you want an abortion will your rights be safe
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota,FL
    Posts
    41,917
    The Libtards are drunk on power.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    In an action of compassion and goodwill the Republicans will change it back again.
    I don't think so. The Republicans in the senate feel badly burned by this. They had considered it when the Democrats were filibustering Bush nominees, but ultimately decided not to because they respected the rules. Reid, OTOH, respects nothing but getting his way, and any Republican who is stupid enough (*cough* McCain *cough*) to try to change it back will be reamed by the rest of the caucus. The truly delicious irony will be the Democrats demanding that the rule be reinstated when they are out of power, and the highlighting of their obvious hypocrisy. The media will try to cover for them, of course, but imagine the sputtering at MSDNC when Tingles is confronted with the fact that it was the same Democrats who changed the rule when they had the majority who are now demanding that it be changed back because they are out of power. This sucks in the short term, but in the long term, it really screws the Democrats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    We are screwed, no way the senate is going to go R for quite a while, kiss your 2nd amendment rights away among many other freedoms, once these courts are packed with liberal scum many freedoms we enjoy will go bye bye
    No, the polling that we're seeing right now puts the senate in Republican hands in 2014. Obamacare is destroying the Democratic party, and it's only going to get worse as they get further into implementation. Obama's "fix" will not work, partly because many of the states aren't implementing it, but mostly because those that are will find themselves sowing more chaos into insurance markets. This is a desperation move because they know that in less than a year, they will no longer have the votes to put their nominees on the bench, and if they don't get them through now, it won't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    The Libtards are drunk on power.
    No, they are desperate. When they were drunk on power, they passed Obamacare and a boatload of other idiocies. Now, they realize that they've overreached and every poll shows Republicans picking up enough senate seats to become the majority party in 2014. They have a very narrow window to consolidate their gains and fill the courts before they are out of power, and this is how they are doing it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post



    No, the polling that we're seeing right now puts the senate in Republican hands in 2014. Obamacare is destroying the Democratic party, and it's only going to get worse as they get further into implementation. Obama's "fix" will not work, partly because many of the states aren't implementing it, but mostly because those that are will find themselves sowing more chaos into insurance markets. This is a desperation move because they know that in less than a year, they will no longer have the votes to put their nominees on the bench, and if they don't get them through now, it won't happen.



    No, they are desperate. When they were drunk on power, they passed Obamacare and a boatload of other idiocies. Now, they realize that they've overreached and every poll shows Republicans picking up enough senate seats to become the majority party in 2014. They have a very narrow window to consolidate their gains and fill the courts before they are out of power, and this is how they are doing it.
    Our winning will depend on if we can overcome the ilegal voting, Obama has had 5 years now to further currupt the integrity of the ballot, I am pessimistic for good reason.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,090
    There is a counter to this power grab. I can't find the story (Search Fu is weak) but I heard that one of the congressional committees that sends nominees to the Senate for confirmation was stalled because they didn't have a quorum to vote on the nominees before them. Rules require there to be 2 members from the minority party to be present for a vote to take place and all of the Republicans on this committee stayed home.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,125
    Well lookie here:
    http://legalinsurrection.com/

    Obama personally lobbied on filibuster rule change


    The Wall Street Journal came out with this report late yesterday afternoon that Obama Personally Lobbied Senators to Curb Filibuster:

    President Barack Obama personally lobbied three Democratic senators who were unsure about a proposed ban on filibusters of presidential nominees, an 11th-hour effort earlier this week that reflected how much the White House expects to rely on executive actions to press its second-term agenda.

    A Senate Democratic aide said Mr. Obama called senators who were on the fence and told them “how important this was to him and our ability to get anything done for the rest of the term.” The White House confirmed that Mr. Obama contacted senators but declined to say whom he called.

    On Thursday, the Democratic-led Senate changed its rules so executive and most judicial nominees could be confirmed by a simple majority, rather than a 60-vote threshold needed to overcome threatened filibusters. White House officials now expect the Senate in December to confirm nominees for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, a top housing regulator, the Department of Homeland Security and the Environmental Protection Agency who had been blocked by Republicans.

    The White House believes the rule change’s primary value is that it gives Mr. Obama more scope to operate through direct administrative action, by removing barriers in Congress that denied him a full roster of officials.
    Professor Jacobson speculated as much, in a post entitled Naked Emperor.

    It’s not for nothing that Obama nuked the filibuster rule. Yes, Obama. Harry Reid would not have done it except with marching orders.

    Others have commented on the issue of leadership.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I don't think so. The Republicans in the senate feel badly burned by this. They had considered it when the Democrats were filibustering Bush nominees, but ultimately decided not to because they respected the rules. Reid, OTOH, respects nothing but getting his way, and any Republican who is stupid enough (*cough* McCain *cough*) to try to change it back will be reamed by the rest of the caucus. The truly delicious irony will be the Democrats demanding that the rule be reinstated when they are out of power, and the highlighting of their obvious hypocrisy. The media will try to cover for them, of course, but imagine the sputtering at MSDNC when Tingles is confronted with the fact that it was the same Democrats who changed the rule when they had the majority who are now demanding that it be changed back because they are out of power. This sucks in the short term, but in the long term, it really screws the Democrats.



    No, the polling that we're seeing right now puts the senate in Republican hands in 2014. Obamacare is destroying the Democratic party, and it's only going to get worse as they get further into implementation. Obama's "fix" will not work, partly because many of the states aren't implementing it, but mostly because those that are will find themselves sowing more chaos into insurance markets. This is a desperation move because they know that in less than a year, they will no longer have the votes to put their nominees on the bench, and if they don't get them through now, it won't happen.



    No, they are desperate. When they were drunk on power, they passed Obamacare and a boatload of other idiocies. Now, they realize that they've overreached and every poll shows Republicans picking up enough senate seats to become the majority party in 2014. They have a very narrow window to consolidate their gains and fill the courts before they are out of power, and this is how they are doing it.
    Ody I respect you greatly, you are very concise and intelligent and our Army is very fortunate to have you but that being said the republican brand name has been tarnished by the very party (and by outsiders as well) demographically conservatives are dying breed (much to this countries sorrow) I really hope you are right though
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Ody I respect you greatly, you are very concise and intelligent and our Army is very fortunate to have you but that being said the republican brand name has been tarnished by the very party (and by outsiders as well) demographically conservatives are dying breed (much to this countries sorrow) I really hope you are right though
    If Conservatives are a dying breed as you claim...explain 2010? And while you're at it explain why there is a bigger fight among establishment Republicans to quash Conservatives than there is to stop Democrats?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •