1. #1 DOE interrogates children without parents or attorney present....over race. 
    Power CUer
    I don't understand why this isn't national news already. How can the Dept of Education interrogate your children without you or your attorney present?

Department of Education civil rights investigators descend on a West Texas school
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...as_school.html

Recently, U.S. Department of Education officials visited a West Texas town to investigate its public schools.

The investigators were from the Education Department's (DoED) Office for Civil Rights (OCR)...

The DoED Secretary is Arne Duncan - former CEO of the Chicago Public Schools, a basketball buddy of then Illinois Senator Barack Obama in Chicago, and the federal official featured in a Washington Post November 16, 2013 article:

"U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told a group of state schools superintendents Friday that he found it 'fascinating' that some of the opposition to the Common Core State Standards has come from 'white suburban moms who - all of a sudden - their child isn't as brilliant as they thought they were, and their school isn't quite as good as they thought they were.'"
    Common Core State Standards have been adopted by 45 states and the District of Columbia. They've not been adopted by Texas. But, there is a struggle underway in the state concerning another Common Core-type progressive-driven initiative....

...The day before teams of OCR personnel came to a Lubbock high school all the students' home phones received an audio message addressed to parents from the school's administration. The message stated that their child may be called out of class, selected at random, to be interviewed by representatives of the DoED. No reason was given for the interviews.

The next day, approximately 40 students, divided into two groups, were summoned to a room where two ORC personnel awaited them. In separate 30-minute interview sessions, the ORC officials queried the students about race relations in their school, particularly as it applies to the school's disciplinary policies and practices.

No school administrator or teacher was present during the interviews - just the students and the ORC interview teams.

One group was largely made up of white and Hispanic students, while the other was largely African-American.

When a local radio station called the school district's communications office to inquire, the reporter was told it was a "routine procedure." The reporter didn't probe further.

But a source with firsthand knowledge of the event stated that the DoED claimed to be following up on "three-year old data" that indicated that some students may have been subjected to racially-biased disciplinary action in the district.

Here's a non-verbatim account of some of the questions that the ORC investigators asked the students:

What are your school's policies on discipline?
    How do teachers discipline?
    Are some teachers stricter than other teachers?
    What are their (the stricter teachers) names?
    Do police officers help enforce discipline?
    Drugs and fighting - how many offenses can a student have?
    What is the majority race of this school?
    Do teachers treat that group (the majority race) differently?
    Do teachers treat that group (the majority) better?
    Is one class/group/race in lower or higher academic levels of classes?
    Concerning Pre-AP (advanced placement) and AP classes -is there a majority race in either of those levels?
    When you get into trouble who do you go - to the principal or to the police?

When asked why the school district granted OCR-access to students without either parents or local school officials being present, a spokesperson in the office of a Texas State House member who represents the area said, "They [the school district] get a lot of money from the federal government."

...So, to summarize, the OCR conducted a "compliance review" in a West Texas independent school district based on three-year old data as, at the same time, Battleground Texas ramps up in the state and Obamacare navigators are exposed as partisan operatives.

Also, this happens as a battle continues within the Texas State Board of Education concerning a controversial, public school curriculum called CSCOPE, which, according to FOX News, "has been likened to the Lone Star State's own version of the controversial national Common Core Standards."

It makes you wonder: Is the timing of the OCR's visit to West Texas school district merely coincidental to the partisan battles underway in the state? Or part of it. In short, was this a DoED "fishing expedition," as a persosn familiar with the school's student interracial-relations suggests?

Just a note: "racially biased disciplinary action" is code for punishing or expelling a minority kid who is acting up, throwing chairs, committing illegal acts, etc. If you remember Trayvon Martin, he had committed three illegal acts, each one watered down in the school police reports as part of a "diversionary program" which deliberately blocked arrest and imprisonment for illegal activities by teens of color.

That Lubbock allowed this completely floors me. That is not the city I thought I knew. I do have to admit not being in town for several years but..... This is west Texas and entirely not fitting with the folks, friends and family I'm acquainted with.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    This is west Texas and entirely not fitting with the folks, friends and family I'm acquainted with.
    That Lubbock might be conservative is probably the reason the DoEd wants to interfere. Texas is going to be a big battleground in 2014.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I have no doubt on the reasons for the choice, I'm just floored that the PTBs allowed it to happen. The folks I knew who lived there would have had lawsuits, injunctions, local LE personnel and hay bale fences in place 5 minutes after the request came down.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    That Lubbock allowed this completely floors me. That is not the city I thought I knew. I do have to admit not being in town for several years but..... This is west Texas and entirely not fitting with the folks, friends and family I'm acquainted with.

This isn't West Texas or how we do business in the least.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Forty years ago I can see this happening without question. But these days I should think that it would et off alarms with conservatives or liberals on staff alike. You simply don't give access to the students to outsiders whether it's the federal government or the Gideon Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Forty years ago I can see this happening without question. But these days I should think that it would et off alarms with conservatives or liberals on staff alike. You simply don't give access to the students to outsiders whether it's the federal government or the Gideon Society.

The problem with your thinking on this is that you assume the Liberals have an interest in protecting the child's rights. Especially where it comes to black letter law such as in this case.

Today's Liberals don't give a rats ass about things like laws and procedures...especially if they interfere with the advancement of their Statist agenda.

They'd arrest their own grandmother if they had to...because nothing can get in the way of the State and it's quest for Utopia.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

It seems to me that the DOE could have learned the same information more accurately by doing a written survey of all the students at the school, instead of singling out a small group to represent the entire student body.

I personally don't have any problems with any of the questions being asked-my problem is that they are sampling in a way that they can cook the numbers to say what they want them to say.

The school district itself should have enrollment records to reflect the racial makeup of the school-some even post them on their websites. If the DOE is looking to see how the students are perceiving their schools, that's fine and all but really more of a state level responsibility.