Thread: Soups, Stews, and Chilis!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Soups, Stews, and Chilis! 
    Post your favorite recipes here. Tis the season!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    You started a thread in the recipe forum without posting a recipe? Isn't that against the rules or something? You suck.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Easy tortellini Soup

1 small onion, diced
    garlic (as much as you like)
    a few carrots, sliced
    a few stocks of celery
    1 large can chicken stock or broth
    a bag of frozen tortellini (cheese or chicken)
    Dried parsley

Add some olive oil to a pot and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies just start to get soft. If you have some leftover chicken you can throw that in, too. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the tortellini and a bit of parsley. If you want to use fresh parsley, add it at the end. Boil, covered, until the tortellini are cooked.

My family has been making this soup for years. It's always one of my favorites, especially on a cold day.
    www.klingtocash.com - my blog, helping you save more of your money.

This is what I'm going to throw in the slow cooker in a few minutes:

Cubed pork browned in olive oil
    Cubed potatoes
    Diced carrots
    1 peeled and cubed Honeycrisp apple
    Sweet peppers (large dice)
    1 diced onion
    A mess of slivered garlic

Dump in the cooker and add:

1 can of Golden Mushroom soup + 1 can of water
    A healthy dose of soy sauce
    1/2 cup leftover coffee (trust me here)
    1 bay leaf
    A couple of decent shakes of hot pepper flakes/seasoning
    A couple of good grinds of black pepper
    A pinch of rosemary

Cook on high for 1 hour and reduce to medium or low for 3 or 4 hours (you know your own cooker so adjust as needed). Check it for liquid level from time to time. Add a handful of frozen peas toward the end.

Serve with salad or biscuits or fresh baked bread. :)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Sopa Seca: Mexican Noodle Casserole

Have you ever had a mound of soup? Or a "dry soup"? In a Mexican restaurant such a thing might be on the menu, as Mexican cuisine has a class of soups called sopas secas that are dry and can be served as a mound. The "dryness" and "moundability" of the soup comes from a large quantity of thin, short noodles (called fideos) that are added to a thin broth in the last few minutes of cooking. As the noodles cook, they absorb much of the liquid and give the soup its texture and shape.
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for pan
    12 ounces fideos (bundled vermicelli)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
    1 teaspoon New Mexican chili powder
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 cups canned whole tomatoes
    1 to 2 chipotles en adobo sauce, minced
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade, or low-sodium canned
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups shredded smoked turkey
    1 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
    Mexican crema, or sour cream thinned with a bit of milk
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Brush a 9-inch square baking dish with oil. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fideos and cook, turning them with tongs, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bundles and any broken pieces to a plate.

Add the onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, coriander, oregano, chili powder, and bay leaf, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Crush the tomatoes over the pot with your hand and add them to the pot along with their juices. Add the chipotles, increase the heat to high, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, the toasted fideos, salt, and pepper, to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently, uncovered, breaking up the fideos with a spoon, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the turkey.

Remove the bay leaf. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, sprinkle the grated cheese over the top, and cover loosely with foil. Bake until the cheese melts and the casserole is hot through and through, about 20 minutes. If desired, serve with some crema drizzled over the top.

I LOVE vegetable soup. Depending on the season, I throw everything fresh that I have in a kettle. Corn, tomatoes, cabbage, kale, onions, garlic, broccoli, carrots, celery, eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms, etc etc. Usually a few diced tomatoes, used as the base. I like things spicy, so I add several different peppers, sea salt, water, a few tablespoons of olive oil. Bring to a simmer and cook until it looks good. I make a huge kettle of it and eat it for my main course. Maybe 2 huge bowls at night for a week or so until it is gone. Sooooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I LOVE vegetable soup. Depending on the season, I throw everything fresh that I have in a kettle. Corn, tomatoes, cabbage, kale, onions, garlic, broccoli, carrots, celery, eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms, etc etc. Usually a few diced tomatoes, used as the base. I like things spicy, so I add several different peppers, sea salt, water, a few tablespoons of olive oil. Bring to a simmer and cook until it looks good. I make a huge kettle of it and eat it for my main course. Maybe 2 huge bowls at night for a week or so until it is gone. Sooooo good.
    I love making a big pot of soup on the weekend and eating it for the rest of the week. When I've been eating horribly I find that I crave soup with lots of vegetables.

Tonight I'm going to make a lentil and sausage soup. I've never made it before, so we'll see how it works out.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I love making a big pot of soup on the weekend and eating it for the rest of the week. When I've been eating horribly I find that I crave soup with lots of vegetables.

Tonight I'm going to make a lentil and sausage soup. I've never made it before, so we'll see how it works out.
    lentils are horribly bland and blah .They are almost as bad as Cuban Black bean soup.I recently had the misfortune to order in my ignorance and when it came It looked like used motor oil and tasted like dense warm mud .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    lentils are horribly bland and blah .They are almost as bad as Cuban Black bean soup.I recently had the misfortune to order in my ignorance and when it came It looked like used motor oil and tasted like dense warm mud .
    I've only had black bean soup once. It wasn't bad, but I agree it was a bit bland. Both are good for low carb diets, though. The lentils are a good protein. I'm feeling "healthy" lately.

Okay, soup's on.

1 medium onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1 leek
    1 celery stalk
    4 plum tomatoes
    3/4 pound smoked sausage
    1 cup dry red wine
    32 ounces chicken broth
    1 pound lentils
    chopped spinach
    salt
    pepper
    garlic
    bay leaves
    paprika

It's simmering now and should be done in about 1/2 an hour. We'll see how it tastes.