Thread: Thousands Flee Flooding In Cedar Rapids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Thousands Flee Flooding In Cedar Rapids. 
    Levee breaks near city, thousands evacuate
    Cedar Rapids also loses power; 53 of Iowa's 99 counties are disaster areas

Jeff Roberson / AP
    NBC News and news services
    updated 27 minutes ago

DES MOINES, Iowa - The rising Cedar River burst through an earthen levee Thursday just outside Cedar Rapids, and at least 10,000 people there have been ordered to evacuate, officials told NBC News.

The evacuations follow a round earlier Thursday when 3,900 homes were cleared out in Iowa City and Cedar Bluffs.

In Cedar Rapids, power is out for most of downtown, complicating rescue efforts, city spokesman Dave Koch told NBC News.

Officials estimate 100 blocks are underwater. "We’re seeing very substantial flooding," said Craig Hanson, the city’s public works maintenance manager.

Cedar Rapids firemen have been organizing boat rescues of stranded residents, Koch said.

The new evacuations follow a 150-foot breach in an earthen levee early Thursday.

If flooding continues, Koch said, Highway 30 will likely be shut down where it intersects the Cedar River.

:(

MSNBC

Patent Member
    They closed the hospital in Cedar Rapids. Unforunately, that is the main hub for most of Iowa Health Systems' business (accounting, payroll, email servers, etc.).

The flood is a huge issue, we had severe warnings of the Des Moines river flooding last night, and one of the major side roads is closed because of it.

noonwitch
    I am always grateful at this time of year that the Detroit River doesn't flood, because it basically connects lakes, and always can empty into Lake Erie.

Between the flooding and the tornado that hit the Boy Scout camp, Iowa is taking a beating from the weather, this week.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I am always grateful at this time of year that the Detroit River doesn't flood, because it basically connects lakes, and always can empty into Lake Erie.
    Don't forget that the Detroit river could catch on fire again. Then it would be more than just the riverfront destroyed.

Between the flooding and the tornado that hit the Boy Scout camp, Iowa is taking a beating from the weather, this week.
    And a couple weeks ago we had a big tornado in Parkersburg.

noonwitch
    [QUOTE=biccat;7027]Don't forget that the Detroit river could catch on fire again. Then it would be more than just the riverfront destroyed.

I don't remember the Detroit River ever catching fire, but I remember the Cuyohoga River in Cleveland catching fire at one point in the 60s or early 70s.

The Detroit River is filthy, though, and I can't believe people actually go swimming at the beach on Belle Isle. I won't even swim in Lake St. Clair, because it's been closed for fecal coliform bacteria enough in the last decade that I don't believe the DNR when they tell us it's safe.

I'll still swim in Lake Michigan, it should be warm enough to swim by 7-4 in St.Joseph. It'll be August before it's warm enough in Traverse City, so I'll go visit Grandpa then.

Patent Member
    I don't remember the Detroit River ever catching fire, but I remember the Cuyohoga River in Cleveland catching fire at one point in the 60s or early 70s.
    My bad, getting my states confused. I remember some big fire in Detroit however. Maybe it was in the 1800s?

The Detroit River is filthy, though, and I can't believe people actually go swimming at the beach on Belle Isle. I won't even swim in Lake St. Clair, because it's been closed for fecal coliform bacteria enough in the last decade that I don't believe the DNR when they tell us it's safe.

I'll still swim in Lake Michigan, it should be warm enough to swim by 7-4 in St.Joseph. It'll be August before it's warm enough in Traverse City, so I'll go visit Grandpa then.
    The problem with Lake Michigan is that it's so darn cold. Even when it's really hot out, I always think it's too cool to spend much time. Besides, it's more fun to go to the wineries around Traverse City than spend the day at the beach :D

Vepr
    My old home state has been taking a pounding lately. :( My parents said the rain has been unreal.

Power CUer
    [QUOTE=noonwitch;7066]
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Right you are, madam. It was 1969, and Randy Newman wrote a song about it.

There's a red moon rising
    On the Cuyahoga River
    Rolling into Cleveland to the lake

There's a red moon rising
    ON the Cuyahoga River

There's an oil barge winding
    Down the Cuyahoga River

There's an oil barge winding
    Down the Cuyahoga River

Cleveland, city of light, city of magic
    Cleveland, city of light, you're calling me
    Cleveland, even now I can remember
    'Cause the Cuyahoga River
    Goes smokin' through my dreams

Burn on, big river, burn on
    Now the Lord can make you tumble
    And the Lord can make you turn
    And the Lord can make you overflow
    But the Lord can't make you burn

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Terrible weather!

We're supposed to get more T-Storms tonight and tomorrow. It was 97 here today when I was out this afternoon. Just got done cutting the lawn and it's only 88 with a nice breeze. :D

I have been out doing damage assessment in Wisconsin here since Monday. Which amounts to living out of a Toyota 4x4 and driving into the worst hit areas and doing surveys on residential property damage. I got caught in flash flooding yesterday and almost got washed off the damn road. :(

They are calling the events here a 500 year flood.