Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Judge orders baker to serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs 
    The First Amendment is dead. I suppose a cake for a Wiccan wedding, complete with pentagram, is next.

Judge orders baker to serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/06...gious-beliefs/

A Colorado judge says a baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony must serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs, a ruling that a civil rights group hailed as a victory for gay rights.

Administrative Law Judge Robert N. Spencer ruled Friday that Jack Phillips, the owner of the Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver, will face fines if he continues to turn away gay couples who want to buy wedding cakes.

ďThe undisputed facts show that Respondents (Phillips) discriminated against Complainants because of their sexual orientation by refusing to sell them a wedding cake for their same-sex marriage,Ē Spencer wrote.

Last year, David Mullins and Charlie Craig visited the Masterpiece Cakeshop to order a cake for their upcoming wedding reception. The couple had planned to marry in Massachusetts and hold a reception in Colorado.

Phillips told the men that he could not bake their cake because of his religious beliefs opposing same-sex marriage. He offered to make them any other baked item, but not a wedding cake. The couple immediately left the shop and later filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division.

Fabulous Poster
    I don't give a rat's patoot about their "Christian" beliefs. However, I do care about Freedom Of Association. The only compromise I would approve of in this regard is that if a business is going to discriminate (for any reason) it should be required to post on the front door the groups it chooses not to work for. If West Imperial Bakery wants to refuse service to gays and black/chinese hybrids then all they should have to do is post it on the door.

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"

Correct!

But its not about service, its about forcing people to do what you want no matter what they have to say about it.

This couple could have a good number of bakeries to do their order for them, but instead they were going to " force " this bakery to their will, to punish them for saying ' no ' to them.

Free speech, free will , freedom of choose ? Only if you're with the Moonbat's program.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Hundreds turn out to support cake shop owner
    http://www.9news.com/rss/article/368...ake-shop-owner

LAKEWOOD - On Friday, hundreds of supporters flooded the small Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood in support of the store's owner, Jack Phillips.

Phillips made national news in 2012 when he refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, claiming it violated his Christian beliefs. The couple sued him, and the American Civil Liberties Union filed a complaint on their behalf.

Last week, administrative law judge Robert Spencer made a ruling on the case. He said Phillips would have to sell gay couples wedding cakes or risk facing penalties and fines.

On Friday, Phillips' supporters fired back by supporting his business and making donations.

Supporter Sharon Taylor says she and her friends have purchased cakes from Phillips for years. She wanted to show her support because she says Americans should have the right to stand by their religious beliefs.

"When we heard that [Peter Boyles] was on the radio today supporting him, we knew we had to come out," she said. "There are a lot of us out here who believe that our freedoms are slowly being taken away and that we need to stand up and protect them when we can."

Other supporters were first time customers.

"I've never been here before. I came today because of this cause. This guy has rights; he has freedoms; he's allowed to do what he wants to do as long as it doesn't hurt other people," Rich Wyatt said. "America's in a difficult position right now, and we're losing rights every day that we can't afford to lose. I'm proud to see Americans coming out today and supporting this guy's rights to make a cake for whoever he wants to make a cake, or not."

Phillips was unable to comment when 9NEWS requested an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I don't give a rat's patoot about their "Christian" beliefs. However, I do care about Freedom Of Association. The only compromise I would approve of in this regard is that if a business is going to discriminate (for any reason) it should be required to post on the front door the groups it chooses not to work for. If West Imperial Bakery wants to refuse service to gays and black/chinese hybrids then all they should have to do is post it on the door.
    They don't choose to not work for gays, the choose not to do wedding cakes for what they consider sham marriages. If a gay couple wanted a cake for their kid's graduation, do you have any doubt that they'd make the cake?

This decision creates a dangerous precedent. Supposing the baker had been approached by two couples, one straight and one gay, and they only had time to create one cake, would choosing the straight couple be discrimination if it were known that they also disapproved of gay marriage? I don't have a religious objection to gay marriages, but I do have political objections. Does the court have the right to compel someone who doesn't think that the government has the right to redefine marriage to provide services to a gay couple? Would the court have the right to compel that person to provide services to other political agencies that he found objectionable? Would a Jew be compelled to provide a cake for a Nazi Party event? Could a Kosher butcher be compelled to provide pork for the event? Would a black baker have to provide a cake for the KKK? Supposing the gay couple was as contemptuous of religion as you are? Would a devout Christian have to provide a cake if he knew that he had been sought out in order to compel his services, that he was only selected in order to be mocked and ridiculed by the client?

If the government can compel us to provide services for people whose conduct offends us, then we have no liberty.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They don't choose to not work for gays, the choose not to do wedding cakes for what they consider sham marriages. If a gay couple wanted a cake for their kid's graduation, do you have any doubt that they'd make the cake?

This decision creates a dangerous precedent. Supposing the baker had been approached by two couples, one straight and one gay, and they only had time to create one cake, would choosing the straight couple be discrimination if it were known that they also disapproved of gay marriage? I don't have a religious objection to gay marriages, but I do have political objections. Does the court have the right to compel someone who doesn't think that the government has the right to redefine marriage to provide services to a gay couple? Would the court have the right to compel that person to provide services to other political agencies that he found objectionable? Would a Jew be compelled to provide a cake for a Nazi Party event? Could a Kosher butcher be compelled to provide pork for the event? Would a black baker have to provide a cake for the KKK? Supposing the gay couple was as contemptuous of religion as you are? Would a devout Christian have to provide a cake if he knew that he had been sought out in order to compel his services, that he was only selected in order to be mocked and ridiculed by the client?

If the government can compel us to provide services for people whose conduct offends us, then we have no liberty.
    AS I understand the construct of public accommodation in the law, a business is required not only to serve but to equally serve. I have already stated that I support freedom of association. But just as gas stations are required to post their prices conspicuously, it's not unreasonable to require businesses to post their prejudices. Since public accommodation protection isn't likely to go away, then it should apply to sexual orientation as it does to race, religion, ethnicity, etc...

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Supposing the baker had been approached by two couples, one straight and one gay, and they only had time to create one cake, would choosing the straight couple be discrimination if it were known that they also disapproved of gay marriage?
    Discrimination accusations are sticky as it is. Blacks are particularly on alert to what they perceive as different levels of service. I have seen the "funny look" more than a couple of times in my time working in restaurants. If two parties are seated and Waiter A offers the special to his table but Waiter B doesn't make the offer either because he forgot, he's lazy, or he just came from the kitchen and the special is no longer available you often have to be proactive in preventing hurt feelings.

We live in a touchy world.