Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Unfeeling bastard!!!

Just cross your fingers that this doesn't happen to you, and that you have nothing serious to deal with in your own health care in future.
    There are still no other paycheck jobs which have the earning potential that a doctor has.

Medicine is changing. Years from now, you might not have doctors in sole proprietorship, sole operator businesses any more. Before Obama was even known outside of Chicago my doctors were forming their corporate and cooperative practice. They were sharing patient information. They were referring patients within their buddy circle.

How many times will people fall for this crap? How long ago was it that the impending doom of doctors leaving the ob-gyn practice was a certainty in conservative circles. Has it happened? No. It hasn't happened. And it won't happen as long as there are doctors being graduated from colleges at rates lower than need. How stupid is the American public not to figure out that one?

Your new doctor is Dr. Ahok Krishna Mahindra and he's quite pleased to make $250K/yr and live in a waterfront home with a BMW in the driveway and money to send home to Visakhapatnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

Yes, I have a chronic borderline acute condition. The doctors I see are competent, not miraculous.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/br...ansplants.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Clearly we are doing something wrong in the US. In countries where kids grow up in houses with too many people and no air conditioning, they grow up and want to be a doctor. In the US, we raise our children in suburban tract homes with two rooms per person and air conditioning, and they want to grow up and be on The Voice.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    OK, that made me laugh.

My physician in the 1980's died in a car accident in 1986. Shit happens.
    I had to switch doctors when Megabank changed plans from United to Humana. Life goes on.
    Soon I will have to switch doctors because I am moving. Big deal.

Yes, I have a chronic borderline acute condition. The doctors I see are competent, not miraculous.
    Nova, you have no idea ...

Switching doctors is not that easy to do as it once was. For many reasons, I have no intention of getting into at the moment.

The doctors I see are competent, not miraculous.
    My husband is one of the lucky folks that did not have to go through the old fashioned way of treating esophageal cancer, by cutting open the chest from the front, and the back, as well ... then removing the esophagus, pulling up the stomach, and attaching it to the throat. Nice huh?

No ... a surgeon in Knoxville TN. whose name escapes me at the moment, invented the procedure, in the recent past, of treating it (if not too far gone) with lasers. He has since retired and has trained other doctors in the procedure.

Don't tell me, that these doctors are anything less than "miraculous" in what they are doing for my husband.

In this case, Nova ... being merely "competent" doesn't cut it!!!

~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 12-10-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Nova, you have no idea ...

Switching doctors is not that easy to do as it once was. For many reasons, I have no intention of getting into at the moment.

My husband is one of the lucky folks that did not have to go through the old fashioned way of treating esophageal cancer, by cutting open the chest from the front, and the back, as well ... then removing the esophagus, pulling up the stomach, and attaching it to the throat. Nice huh?

No ... a surgeon in Knoxville TN. whose name escapes me at the moment, invented the procedure, in the recent past, of treating it (if not too far gone) with lasers. He has since retired and has trained other doctors in the procedure.

Don't tell me, that these doctors are anything less than "miraculous" in what they are doing for my husband.

In this case, Nova ... being merely "competent" doesn't cut it!!!

~ ABC
    In 1980-something I became severely ill. My weight dropped to 128 pounds (skin and bones on me) and I could not stay hydrated, nourished, or maintain my electrolytes. INfections were starting to set in. The very fine doctors, miracle workers to some of their patients, at Presbyterian Medical Center (in conjunction with University Of California) told me that I had "a new form of cancer which affects gay men". I flatly rejected their diagnosis, but not until they had done some damage to my liver and kidneys. My dad whisked me away to the Washington Hospital Center because we knew that they had experience with my somewhat unique physiology. They did some surgery, and I recovered. The first time I was told I would be dead soon was when I was 16 and they said I wouldn't live past 25.

The point of all that is that the patient cannot completely rely on one doctor or group of doctors. The patient knows his body better than anyone else. The patient is able to go elsewhere. A big part of the scare tactics against Obamacare and Single Payer is that the patient won't have the ability to find a doctor he believes in. I reject that. At all times in my journey I have had to work within some kind of insurance policy. When I fell into my parent's canal and my leg got so badly infected that i almost lost it, two doctors turned me down as a patient because they considered me too high risk. Former President Bush's doctor finally referred me to an Egyptian doctor who saved my leg.

All of that was frustrating. All of it was more work than we might think it should be. None of it had anything to do with ACA or Single Payer. It was all done while I was covered by a major oil company.

I understand your fear and frustration. I also know that while some doctors may be able to stay in business without accepting popular plans, and other may well become realtors or politicians, most are going to do what my doctors have done and that it to figure out how to live with managed care and the payment structure. When my doctor sells his mercedes or his waterfront home I'll let you know that hard times have arrived.

Power CUer
    I am not making an assumption at all. He is indeed 64 years old. He is indeed retiring according to his ad. He is also making a political statement. All true.
    The question is not whether he is retiring, but whether he would have retired at 64 instead of keeping his practice open another 5 or 6 years if Obamacare hadn't gone through.

But then you know that.

Power CUer
    A big part of the scare tactics against Obamacare and Single Payer is that the patient won't have the ability to find a doctor he believes in.
    No, Nova. That's not the main problem.

The real issue is whether the reduction in choice will reduce your quality of care, either by denying an actual medical doctor, a particular medical facility, or the choice of a stellar doctor.

Let's take California, since you and I both live in this state. We already know the following about Covered California:

1. 7 out of every 10 physicians have refused to be part of the exchange.

2. Many top notch California hospitalslike Cedars-Sinai will not accept insurance bought on the Covered California exchange.

3. In order to control costs, the California exchange will limit your covered providers to a small geographic area. This is why Edith Sunby, the cancer patient in San Diego, had such a nightmare on her hands. Living in San Diego, she could get a policy that would cover some of her regular doctors at UCSD, but she could not get her highly specialized treatment (the treatment that was keeping her alive) covered on the same policy.

Already, if you're honest, you can see that the issue is far more than finding a doctor you trust. It could be finding a doctor at all or finding a heath care facility that can really heal you.

He's 64 years old. He's retiring and trying to make a political statement in the process.
    Hey why would you knock this guy? You don't care if gays lie (in that case with the dyke server) or in when Matthew Sheppard died as long as the ends justify the means, amirite?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Around here another Dr. goes to work for the practice and everything transitions over to him, they don't usually just close a practice.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg