1. #1 Anti-Israel Activists at U. Michigan Serve Dorm Eviction Notices 
    Power CUer
    This could be in Mindless Moonbat gibberish, but the results seem more sinister. There is a group called BDS, "boycott, divest, and sanction," that is extremely active in trying to get universities to divest from Israel. There have been all kinds of problems, including the bullying of on well known professor into changing her opinion. She was not pro-Israel, but she opposed BDS on academic freedom grounds. After being bullied on Twitter, she changed her stance. Now BDS is putting eviction notices up at student dorms.

‘Evictions’ in residence halls cause stir on campus
    http://www.michigandaily.com/article...versy?page=0,0

Students in six residence halls across campus woke up to eviction notices Tuesday morning.

The notices, which were satirical, were distributed by Students Allied for Freedom and Equality — a student organization that promotes human rights, social justice, self-determination and liberty for the Palestinian people — and other student activists to raise awareness and demand that the University divest from companies that support Israel and subsequently its eviction of Palestinians from East Jerusalem.

Some of the companies include Caterpillar, Inc, Northrup Grumman, Corp. and Hewlett-Packard.

The group passed out fliers in North Quad, West Quad, East Quad, Mary Markley, Helen Newberry and Betsy Barbour residence halls in the early hours of the morning, as well as in Mason Hall during the day.

SAFE’s Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions committee conceptualized the notices. Members of SAFE said they sought to highlight the “illegal eviction” of Palestinians and subsequent demolition of their homes. They said action is particularly crucial because the evictions are part of larger, systematic discriminatory acts against Palestinians that should be condemned by the United States, as well as the University...

LSA senior Zeinab Khalil, a member of the BDS committee and a Daily columnist, said SAFE wanted to draw attention to the Prawer Plan, a measure passed by Israel's legislature, the Knesset, which calls for the expulsion of the Arab Bedouin community in the Negev desert in the south of Israel.

She added that SAFE members were not the only students involved in the event, but that people in a number of activist groups across campus took part.

Khalil said there has been tremendous support for the movement and its associated hashtag, #UMMockEviction, so far, especially from communities of color.

“We really want to get this discussion going on campus and not have it be silenced,” Khalil said. “It seems like the University doesn’t act until it’s forced to ... we decided to do something that speaks directly to the students.”

However, many students were offended by the event and the University has indicated the move violated the residence hall’s no-soliciting policy. University of Michigan Hillel sent out an e-mail to members recognizing that students reported feeling unsafe after the eviction notices were sent out, and said they had contacted University administrators...

At least they are sticking to peaceful tactics. I don't like it when Israel evicts Palestineans from East Jerusalem simply for being Palestineans, myself, and I am fairly neutral on the actual argument about whose land it is. My main reason for supporting Israel is that too many Palestineans use terrorism against Israel instead of non-violent methods of resistance.

This group is using non-violent methods, so I can't really condemn them. I don't think their tactics will get them far with the students at UM, since they are probably bumming over their loss to OSU, an issue far more important to them than the events thousands miles away in the ME.

The students 60 miles northwest at MSU would have added those fake eviction notices to the fires they were setting last weekend when they were celebrating their victory over OSU.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    At least they are sticking to peaceful tactics.

This group is using non-violent methods, so I can't really condemn them. I don't think their tactics will get them far with the students at UM, since they are probably bumming over their loss to OSU, an issue far more important to them than the events thousands miles away in the ME.

They may not be violent, but they apparently gave students a scare when they thought that university housing was evicting them. I think the stunt may actually backfire.

Fabulous Poster
    I've never understood why some folks on campus were so political. Even when I was in college, I didn't think anyone cared what college stoodents thought.

Power CUer
    E.U. Considers Placing Economic Sanctions On Israel…
    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/insideisr...Anti-Semitism/

BRUSSELS, Belgium -- On January 1, the European Union could punish a Middle East country with sanctions. No, it's not over nuclear weapons in Iran; the E.U.'s target is Israel.

New economic guidelines would prohibit money going from E.U. member nations to Israeli communities beyond what's called the green line, also known as the West Bank.

In order to receive funding, a private Israeli entity must prove it has no ties to the West Bank (Judea and Samaria), the Golan Heights and east Jerusalem. The economic impact could run into the millions.

Some believe the move is part of a growing anti-Semitism moving across Europe.

Those new E.U. guidelines are being established here in Brussels, Belgium, at the European parliament. They represent a major economic challenge to Israel and could predetermine the borders of a future Palestinian state.

Tomas Sandell, with the European Coalition for Israel told CBN News these guidelines "basically restrict any type of cooperation, financial cooperation between Europe and these disputed territories."

"And it's more complicated than you would think because even if you would have one particular university wanting to engage in a multi-million program with the E.U., if you happen to have one professor say living in east Jerusalem it would be impossible with these new guidelines," Sandell explained.

Andrew Tucker, executive director of Christians for Israel International says the guidelines put Europe in the position of creating a Jew-free state."

"But I think the thing that concerns us most is the signal that it's giving," Tucker told CBN News. "And we're concerned that Europe is on the slippery slope toward forcing the creation of a Palestinian state and it will be a Palestinian state where Jews will not be welcome."

Tucker and others feel this "slippery slope" would pressure Israel to create a future Palestinian state based on the so-called 1967 borders, divide Jerusalem and make it illegal for Jews to live there....