1. #1 Yale Officials Can Read Student Emails Without Notice or Consent 
    Power CUer
    Yale Officials Can Read Student Emails Without Notice or Consent
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15655/

....Yale officials have claimed the right to search student email accounts without notice or consent, according to a report in the Yale Daily News. According to a survey conducted by the Daily News, only 3 out of 73 students were aware that the university had the claimed the power to access their private university email accounts.

According to the Yale administration, reading student email accounts may be done for such vague reasons as complying with “federal, state, or local law or administrative rules,” or whenever “there are reasonable grounds to believe that a violation of law or a significant breach of University policy may have taken place.”

The Daily News reports that the right to probe student email accounts is “outlined in a publicly available but little-publicized document,” entitled “University’s Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy.”

Judging from the broad and vaguely-defined causes for search outlined in the statement, it might as well be called the “We Can Read any Email You Send or Receive any Time We Want Policy.”

The policy not only allows for search anytime officials suspect you have breached university policy, but it promises full access for government officials–not just the feds, but for state or even local government officials.

Who would have imagined that a local police department could have access to the private emails of students under their jurisdiction without notice or consent? ....

Don't use the school issued email addresses, there are lots of ways to get around that one.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Unfortunately, if you're using an 'official business' e-mail account, be it a school's or your employer's, you have no expectation of privacy...

You want privacy? Set up your own server, or get a private e-mail account with a provider who has a privacy policy you agree with.

If your domain is @ford.com, or @yale.edu, or whatever, all bets are off.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

Bob Jones University officials read the students' emails and monitor their internet usage. It's a private university, as is Yale. As long as the students know that this is policy when they make the decision to go there, I don't have a real problem with it.

I would have a problem if the officials at taxpayer-funded universities or colleges do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Don't use the school issued email addresses, there are lots of ways to get around that one.
    Precisely. I have a hard time working up any sympathy for Ivy League silver-spooners on this or much of anything else, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Precisely. I have a hard time working up any sympathy for Ivy League silver-spooners on this or much of anything else, for that matter.
    Any free email address or email address associated with an organization used at no cost by you is not a good idea, it is always their property. Buy a private email address, that may not keep you entirely out of view from the NSA but it will keep other snooping noses out. A yahoo account that you buy is much better than their free offering, their free one is not free and their private one can be made safe with settings. lot's of companies online offer secure email boxes online and are well worth the 50.00 per year.
    I never use ISP email boxes or offerings from cell services either because anytime you change cell phone providers or ISP's you lose your address.
    It is best to have one constant address that is secure and use the freebies for DU moles and such.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Any free email address or email address associated with an organization used at no cost by you is not a good idea, it is always their property. Buy a private email address, that may not keep you entirely out of view from the NSA but it will keep other snooping noses out. A yahoo account that you buy is much better than their free offering, their free one is not free and their private one can be made safe with settings. lot's of companies online offer secure email boxes online and are well worth the 50.00 per year.
    I never use ISP email boxes or offerings from cell services either because anytime you change cell phone providers or ISP's you lose your address.
    It is best to have one constant address that is secure and use the freebies for DU moles and such.
    What is safest email service to have?

And, let's say, you send a "safe" email to someone with a gmail account. Aren't you being surveilled by gmail at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

And, let's say, you send a "safe" email to someone with a gmail account. Aren't you being surveilled by gmail at that point?
    The gmail account would most likely be unsafe so your content sent to them could be read.
    https://www.reagan.com/?gclid=CLH_9I...FUgS7AodKnIATQ

I use a paid yahoo account with yahoo business, i have my own domain name including a web page , yahoo won't sell information or eavesdrop on paid business accounts but with the NSA all bets are off, you can't protect yourself against the Government but you can against the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

One other thing, make sure your email is encrypted.