Thread: I'm the vaginal knitting artist-and I want to defend my work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'll bet she practices Wicca.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    While comical, that is offensive to Wiccans!

BB
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

I can see where you're coming from on that, but I've known several Wiccans over the years, and none of them were that far gone. It reads more like somebody who actually thought all those 'Gender studies' courses she took at an expensive traditionally-female private college were really some kind of serious courses, and then after taking another laugher or two in 'Contemporary Fine Arts' decided she was an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I can see where you're coming from on that, but I've known several Wiccans over the years, and none of them were that far gone. It reads more like somebody who actually thought all those 'Gender studies' courses she took at an expensive traditionally-female private college were really some kind of serious courses, and then after taking another laugher or two in 'Contemporary Fine Arts' decided she was an artist.

I used to practice Wicca in my younger days.

It's more from the magazines and materials I read than from actual practice, but there are several Wiccan authors who advocate the use of menstrual fluids in rituals.
    Z. Budapest is the one who first comes to mind. In some branches of Wicca, the line between religious practices and the gender studies crap is a fine line.

Australia now owns the prize for the weirdest shit ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    Some good replies:
    ROFLMAO!

I used to practice Wicca in my younger days.
    In some branches of Wicca, the line between religious practices and the gender studies crap is a fine line.
    True, true. I have found the Asatru Pagans (Norse/Germanic pantheon) I've known to be a somewhat more centered bunch on the whole, personally.

True, true. I have found the Asatru Pagans (Norse/Germanic pantheon) I've known to be a somewhat more centered bunch on the whole, personally.

The hippie Wiccans who used to publish the Green Egg hated those guys, and were always trying to smear them as Nazis.

The Green Egg was published by the Church of All Worlds, a pagan group that took all the practices from A Stranger In A Strange Land and made a religion out of them.

The hippie Wiccans who used to publish the Green Egg hated those guys, and were always trying to smear them as Nazis.

The Green Egg was published by the Church of All Worlds, a pagan group that took all the practices from A Stranger In A Strange Land and made a religion out of them.
    Yeah, I remember reading something some of our Wiccan Pagan friends had in their place, really badmouthing the 'Odinists,' which to be fair included (especially back then) all the nutty Aryan types. However, in more recent times the Asatru Pagans have taken a certain amount of root in the military community and vets who have a much more socially-normal view of racial issues.

Certainly, at least one of the DUmmies who is defending her fits that bill. Gravity Collapse is doing a very good impression of a complete lunatic who has been educated beyond her intelligence:

Gravitycollapse (4,433 posts) 18. What exactly is "silly" about this?

O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in't.

Response to Gravitycollapse (Reply #18)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 01:57 AM
    MrModerate (8,333 posts)
    27. 'Silly' is a grab-bag word for . . .

Pointless, precious, artless, uninteresting, twee, self-indulgent, and fatuous.

Response to MrModerate (Reply #27)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:05 AM
    Gravitycollapse (4,433 posts)
    38. Is that how you see this performance piece?

O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in't.

Reply to this post
    Back to top Alert abuse Link herePermalink

Response to Gravitycollapse (Reply #38)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 01:58 PM
    MrModerate (8,333 posts)
    103. Yes.

Response to MrModerate (Reply #103)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
    107. That is inarguably sad.

Response to Gravitycollapse (Reply #107)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:19 PM
    HappyMe (16,418 posts)
    108. Why?

This is considered art. Everyone can like or dislike as they choose.

I wouldn't consider it sad if you did not like Renoir or Hopper.

Response to HappyMe (Reply #108)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:27 PM
    109. There is a difference between disliking a work and thinking it "silly."

This is also a form of political and social activism. And that is not something to be laughed at.

Response to 1000words (Reply #111)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
    112. Each response needs to be explicated.

Saying it is gross or silly or stupid shit is not adequate. It is indicative of reactionary nonsense. Sorry not every response is the right one.

Response to HappyMe (Reply #115)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:08 PM
    116. I happen to think that the elementary school responses in this thread...

Last edited Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:18 PM - Edit history (1)
    are indicative of a bunch of Philistines trying to trivialize a piece of art and political protest because they don't understand it and it makes them feel uncomfortable.

I'm less concerned with people poo-pooing me because I refuse to espouse the classic liberal "everyone is right" nonsense in the face of a wave of sexist responses.

Response to Marr (Reply #163)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
    170. I don't just "accept" anything because it's called art, if that's what you're implying.

I actually understand the purpose of the piece here. Whereas it seems to be pretty clear that most of the negative commenters in this thread don't have the foggiest idea.

Response to Marr (Reply #181)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
    182. Not all shocks are equal. The motivation for the shock is important.

Shock jocks tend to be sexist, racist, right-wing assholes. The source of their shockingness is their hatred or idiocy.

Whereas this art piece is meant to shock for entirely different reasons. Questioning taboo is almost always shocking. That it is shocking does not mean the person addressing taboo is lacking in talent.

Response to Gravitycollapse (Reply #116)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:22 PM
    MrModerate (8,333 posts)
    187. Interesting. I just ran across this response so we might be out of sequence . . .

But your response above is also silly.

And here's why: Your use of the term 'Philistines' shows us that you deny the sincere responses of anyone who doesn't share your view of aesthetics. Please don't try to tell us that there's only one valid aesthetic model, or we will be fully justified in ignoring you entirely.

We don't poo-poo your defense of this work because we think everyone's opinion is equally valid (I'm happy to state categorically that your opinion doesn't hold a candle to mine), although any viewer's response to the piece should be respected, since response is what art is all about.

You have no way of knowing that those who criticize the piece 'don't understand' it. I think most of us understand it quite well, and dismiss it as trivial self-aggrandizement. The fact of the matter is that the piece (and the artist) are self-trivializing and those of us who dismiss her work don't really have to do any heavy lifting in that department.

'Political protest?' Please. To the degree that there is a political element to this work is is extremely slight and obvious to the point of ridiculousness.

And, while there are quite possibly some sexist comments in this thread (which the artist has deliberately courted by explicitly stating 'I'm going to confront you with my vagina'), most of the comments I've looked at consider the piece on its (rather meagre) merits.

Sometimes bad art is just bad art.

Response to MrModerate (Reply #187)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:34 PM
    194. Ah, okay, so she was asking for it. That sounds familiar...

Let me go figure out where I've heard that before.

You are right on one thing. There doesn't seem to be much heavy lifting in the dismissal of her work. The dismissals seems to revolve around the silliness or stupidity of the work. Or, as can be seen down thread, apparently she shoved a ball of yarn into her vagina because needs to have sex with a man. None of these responses are particularly intellectual in nature.

Response to MrModerate (Reply #199)
    Wed Dec 18, 2013, 07:53 PM
    209. She's asking for people to think and be provocative. Not be sexist pigs.

I guess many don't understand the difference.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...192192#post168
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!