Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How is Keating 5 good? 
    LiberadorHugo (341 posts)Sun Oct-05-08 10:53 PM
    Original message
    How is Keating 5 good?

4 Dems were destroyed; McDouche was exonerated.
    I have wondered this as well. DU is always screaming about Keating. I truly don't remember the whole thing but the little I read didn't seem bad for McCain.

Can anyone explain?

From what I remember about the situation no one was destroyed. Three basically got slapped on the hands. McCain & John Glenn got totally exonerated except for being admonished about poor judgment.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-05-2008 at 11:27 PM.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    From what I remember about the situation no one was destroyed. Three basically got slapped on the hands. McCain & John Glenn got totally exonerated except for being admonished about poor judgment.
    Except McCain was the only one (IIRC) to recover politically. The rest lost their seats.

The five senators, Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), and Donald W. Riegle (D-MI), were accused of improperly intervening in 1987 on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association
    All five of the senators involved served out their terms. Only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election, and they both succeeded.
    Well, at least McCain was working bi-partisan!;)

I believe that four out of the five were Democrats?

I bet they don't beat this drum too loudly.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

And John Glenn is campaigning for Zer-0

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I have wondered this as well. DU is always screaming about Keating. I truly don't remember the whole thing but the little I read didn't seem bad for McCain.

Can anyone explain?
    This is how the MSM explains it.
    Keating 5=Bad and greedy.
    McCain was one of the Keating 5, therefore:
    McCain=Bad and greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    And John Glenn is campaigning for Zer-0
    Maybe the next time John Glenn is with "The One" a MSM reporter will march right up and and ask him all about this little dust up?
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Except McCain was the only one (IIRC) to recover politically. The rest lost their seats.
    Cranston considered the worst of the five decided against running for a fifth term while he battled prostate cancer.

DeConcini retired in 1995 after 18 yrs in office.

John Glenn retired in 1999 after 25 yrs in office

Donald Riegle Jr did not seek re-election and retire from office in 1995.

Keagle & Cranston the only ones that losts seats by not running following the scandal.

Like I said Cranston,Keagle & DeConcini basically got their hands slapped & McCain & glenn were totally exonerated except for admonision for bad judgement.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

"I faced in Vietnam, at times, very real threats to life and limb," McCain told The Associated Press. "But while my sense of honor was tested in prison, it was not questioned. During the Keating inquiry, it was, and I regretted that very much."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n3964240.shtml
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)