Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    OK, so feature this. A national program to end homelessness. We move them all to Detroit.
    Too cruel to the homeless. I am in favor of relocating every DUmbass 250 yards off of the Farallon Islands during the autumn when the Great White Sharks are in the area.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Too cruel to the homeless. I am in favor of relocating every DUmbass 250 yards off of the Farallon Islands during the autumn when the Great White Sharks are in the area.
    Nah, they are the ones who should be relocated to Detrot since it is their crowning achivement of all they try and acompish. Let the homeless move into their vacated homes when they relocate.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I can kinda see the logic of it, in the simple math part. It cost more to jail them and them heading to the ER when it gets bad weather, then simply pay for a simple room.

But that is where it fails too.

First of which as we all know, comes the free loaders. Why should I pay rent when I can claim homelessness and get a free place?

Then three are the land lords, who tend to charge more when the city pays, then when it's the tenants. And charge more for repairs as city's tend to just write checks.

Then there is the home owners in the area. They suffer lower land values as drug addicts move in to those free homes.

I'm sure that is just the tip of it all.
    Just because the new apartment tenants have a home that wont keep them out the emergency rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post

Poor sharks, having to feed on DUmmies filled with tofu , hash brownies and butt plugs.

They might die out on a diet like that.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

I can kinda see the logic of it, in the simple math part. It cost more to jail them and them heading to the ER when it gets bad weather, then simply pay for a simple room.

But that is where it fails too.

First of which as we all know, comes the free loaders. Why should I pay rent when I can claim homelessness and get a free place?

Then three are the land lords, who tend to charge more when the city pays, then when it's the tenants. And charge more for repairs as city's tend to just write checks.

Then there is the home owners in the area. They suffer lower land values as drug addicts move in to those free homes.

I'm sure that is just the tip of it all.
    That's true as far as it goes, but those are only the immediate problems. Publicity means that homeless from surrounding states, and eventually even farther afield (Including Mexico) will end up there to slurp at the trough, increasing the drain on resources far beyond the scope of the original plan.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    If I remember right, didn't Reno try some thing like this when they built those massive low income housing complexes that they are now tearing down all over the place. That turned into nothing more then slums full of drugs and crimes?
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

If I remember right, didn't Reno try some thing like this when they built those massive low income housing complexes that they are now tearing down all over the place. That turned into nothing more then slums full of drugs and crimes?
    I can't speak for Reno, but I do know that free housing means to those who live there "I ain't responsible for it" and it quickly becomes a Third World Shithole.

I lived in Salt Lake City for more than 4 years and I volunteered in soup kitchens in the city. On Temple Square, which is a tourist mecca, the Mormon church does a good job in keeping the homeless away from those who are visiting (and thereby lends the impression that homelessness isn't such a big problem after all), but in keeping with the illegals that infest the area, along with the boatloads of immigrants in the NW part of the city that don't speak English, it's a budding catastrophe.

As DAT mentioned upthread, just like with prisons and jails, no matter how much you provide these people, it will never be enough. Whatever is allocated will be consumed.
    U.S. Army, Retired