Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Duck Dynasty: The Show That Got Away (from A&E) 
    Power CUer
    Duck Dynasty: The Show That Got Away (from A&E)
    by Pat Archbold
    http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-a...away-from-them

After A&E fired Phil Robertson for saying what every good Christian should believe, social media has been abuzz. One of the recurring themes has been puzzlement about why A&E would cut off its nose to spite its face. Duck Dynasty is the franchise right now. Why would they risk destroying their own cash cow?

To understand the why, we have to go back to the beginning. Duck Dynasty is not the show that they wanted, it is the show that got away from them.

It seems what the producers intended and what A&E envisioned with the show is much different than the show that they ended up with, but they didn't do anything about it because it was so wildly popular and so wildly profitable. But even with all the money, they have never really been comfortable with what happened.

This is what happened. The whole idea of the show was to parade these nouveau riche Christian hillbillies around so that we could laugh at them. "Look at them," we were supposed to say. "Look how backward they are! Look what they believe! Can you believe they really live this way and believe this stuff? See how they don't fit in? HAHAHA"

When the producers saw the way the show was shaping up, different than they envisioned it, they tried to change course. They tried to get the Robertson's to tone down their Christianity, but to their eternal credit they refused. They tried to add fake cussin' to the show by inserting bleeps where no cussword was uttered. At best, they wanted to make the Robertson's look like crass buffoons. At worst they wanted them to look like hypocrites.

They desperately wanted us to laugh at the Robertsons. Instead, we loved them.

A&E wanted us to point fingers at them and laugh at them. But something else happened entirely. Millions upon millions of people tuned in, not to laugh at them, but to laugh with them.

And then we pointed at them. We pointed at them and said things like, "I wish my family was more like them. I wish we prayed together as a family. I wish we were together like the Robertsons."

By the time this all happened, A&E had a conundrum. They knew who the Robertsons were and what they believe and they still held it in disdain. But they really liked the money. Really liked the money. So they lived with it.

But the progressives whose bank accounts were not growing fatter because of these backward rubes were never inclined to look the other way. They hate the show and they really hate the response to the show. They want it destroyed.

Many magazines and interviewers have tried to get the Robertsons to trip up so they could pounce. When Phil backed the Christian viewpoint on homosexuality and added some personal asides about how he just couldn't understand it, they had their moment.

I suspect that the folks at A&E, who always disliked the positive Christian message in the show of which Phil is the primary proponent, saw their chance. They want to keep the cash but dial down the Christianity. With Phil out, perhaps they could get the show they always wanted.

I suspect that the Robertsons are more principled than that and A&E will end up disappointed on many levels. The Roberstons are who they are and I suspect the money means a great deal more to A&E than it does to them.

It will be interesting to see whether A&E likes the money more than they hate the Christianity. I wouldn't be surprised if the hate wins.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-a...#ixzz2oHK8QxCX

Before all this broke this week, I'd never seen the show. I've since watched every repeat I could as A&E seems to be running the show 24/7.

A&E put in fake bleeps to insinuate that the family cursed a lot until Robertson told them ixnay on that idea. What dicks at that network.

Worse yet, A&E removed "in Jesus' name" from their family prayer because A&E "didn't want to upset the Muslim population"? Didn't want to upset the Muslim population? Are they serious? No mention of upsetting Jews or Atheists but who gives a shit and why should anyone give a shit about some muzzie being outraged. They are constantly outraged. They rival bedwetting Liberals in the outrage department. We really live in a pansy country anymore. Sheesh.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Before all this broke this week, I'd never seen the show. I've since watched every repeat I could as A&E seems to be running the show 24/7.

A&E put in fake bleeps to insinuate that the family cursed a lot until Robertson told them ixnay on that idea. What dicks at that network.

Worse yet, A&E removed "in Jesus' name" from their family prayer because A&E "didn't want to upset the Muslim population"? Didn't want to upset the Muslim population? Are they serious? No mention of upsetting Jews or Atheists but who gives a shit and why should anyone give a shit about some muzzie being outraged. They are constantly outraged. They rival bedwetting Liberals in the outrage department. We really live in a pansy country anymore. Sheesh.
    Censoring the word Jesus is pretty pathetic for any network.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I had always taken that A&E was a decent cable network till this blowup happened.

Now they appear to show their true colors as just another Libtard media POS that
    is more than happy to take the money as long as they can bash Christians
    and a more conservative point of view.

Truth is I had never watched the show much till this year and it didn't take long at
    all to appreciate what a bunch of funny and decent people the Roberson's are.

Libtards can't have that!!! Throw in some gay muzzie cross dressers and they, (A&E),
    might be happy happy happy again...

Go Phil and Duck Dynasty. Libtards can GFT.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I think the columnist quoted in the OP nailed it perfectly. A&E thought it would be a laugh-at-the-rednecks goon show, but there turned out to be a whole lot more people who identified with the Robertsons than Manhattan-centric bonesmugglers at A&E could comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I think the columnist quoted in the OP nailed it perfectly. A&E thought it would be a laugh-at-the-rednecks goon show, but there turned out to be a whole lot more people who identified with the Robertsons than Manhattan-centric bonesmugglers at A&E could comprehend.
    Yep, it makes perfect sense.

Well, let's see. The National Geographic Channel - a group of known tree-huggers and liberals that can't stand the idea of an animal that goes extinct - puts on the Doomsday Preppers. Reason for that show is, of course, to portray those folks as being idiots and whackos.

And lo and behold, guess which cable network puts on the Hoarders reality show? Ding, ding! A&E. And just like DD and DP, the network is doing their level best to portray these folks as being idiots.

I've never watched DD so I can't speak toward it, but in the pharmaceutical world, if a drug has promise and it's developed, but it turns out that it has multiple applications and has benefits in ways that weren't foreseen, guess what the drug company is going to do? It's going to market that drug in whichever way will gain the most profit. Viagara is an example.

Seems to me A&E has done the very same thing. Libtards chasing the almighty dollar. Don't say it can't happen -- we have evidence right on these pages.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Truth is I had never watched the show much till this year and it didn't take long at all to appreciate what a bunch of funny and decent people the Roberson's are.
    I don't know why Liberals hate the guy.

He has a Master's in Education. Check. Liberal.
    He's an alcoholic and drug addict. Check. Liberal.
    He's an adulterer. Check. Liberal.

Or at least he was. He's right in the Liberal wheelhouse.

I imagine they dislike him because he played football and hunted. I don't see pajama boy doing too much of that.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

You seem outraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You seem outraged.
    You seem detached, drugged, dazed and confused.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You seem outraged.
    Why aren't you? Don't you care about the Jewish population being upset?

Or the muslims, hindus, atheists, buddhists, wiccans, satanists and every other fake religion out there. Why don't you care about them too?
    Be Not Afraid.