Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    So we don't get to decide if you are properly or overly compensated.
    Since when is this decided by a group rather than the open market of supply and demand?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

If they can't afford to pay their employees then they can't afford to be in business.
    They can afford to pay market rates for labor. They cannot afford extortion.

What do you do, or did you do for a living?
    Why does that matter to you?

No, we don't. The people who decide that are the people involved in the transaction. The employee sells his labor, the employer pays for it, the market for the labor being determined by its scarcity, quality (unskilled, skilled or specialized, for example) and how much the employer needs the services provided. If labor asks for unsupportable prices, then management will find other alternatives, which can include closing the shop.

What you don't realize is that the union goal in this case was met. It forced one business to close, and the other businesses in the area are going to see that the union is prepared to destroy some businesses in order to ensure its monopoly on labor for the others. The people who were put out of work are of no interest to the union, as they weren't union members in the first place, so no dues were lost. As long as it gets to corner the market on labor, it doesn't care who it hurts. Remember that when you support labor cartels.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Since when is this decided by a group rather than the open market of supply and demand?
    To idiots like nova who have no marketable skills whatsoever(and no sucking dicks isn't a marketable skill, at least not to normal people), this concept is completely lost on them. They feel that just because they have the ability to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide they should be able to get the same wage as a brain surgeon. The funny thing about this story is that all you hear liberals whine about is how places like Walmart and the like have killed small businesses but you won't hear a peep out of them about their union brown shirts killing a small business.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I make $75,000 a year and earn every penny of it. Of course this is a far cry from what I actually take home but this is my salary. Then the government takes a big chunk of it so inmates can get electronic ipad like devices. I really wish I was making that up.

That wasn't the question.

All you were asked was what level of salary a business--especially a small business--is responsible for providing its employees.

Clearly, a business operating in the US owes their employees at least minimum wage (unless they are hiring illegal labor). Do they owe market rate? Above market rate?

This is an economic and philosophical question. I am assuming that you have some kind of IQ and are able to handle the question. Perhaps I have miscalculated?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I am assuming that you have some kind of IQ and are able to handle the question. Perhaps I have miscalculated?
    Grossly.

Labor and food cost is very important to control if you want to stay in business, especially in the food industry.

You simply can't just hand the employees a blank check and have them fill it out.