Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I'm Fucking Pissed Off Big Time! 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    A natural state for most DUmmies...

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 08:52 PM
    Unknown Beatle

I'm Fucking Pissed Off Big Time!

I'll start at the beginning. I have chronic pain on my right elbow from years of being a pitcher in baseball, throwing the discus (which, btw, I got second place in the city meet in 1970,(no one cares you braggart...) it could have been first place but track officials refused to let me warm up because the team was late for the meet due to the bus breaking down), and shot put when I was in high school. But, I really screwed it up bad when I was involved in a horrific car crash where the paramedics said they've seen car crashes that weren't a severe as the one I was in where people died.

So, I see my doctor about 2-3 times a year and he prescribes hydrocodone, one pill four times daily. It used to be five a day but I thought that was too much so he reduced it to four.

About a couple of weeks ago, I started having a severe toothache and I called a dentist for an appointment, and she told me to take some hydrocodone if it keeps me up at night. I was taking about an extra one at 3-4 AM when I couldn't stand the pain in my tooth. Taking the extra pill made me run out of my prescription sooner than the expected thirty days. I called my doctor and told him I needed a prescription sooner than expected and explained my situation to him. He said that he would give me another prescription but that it was up to the dentist to give me the extra for nights.

I had the dentist appointment and it turns out I had a bad tooth infection. She gave me a prescription for penicillin and hydrocondone for night use. I don't have dental insurance so it was a bit pricey.

I had my regular prescription from my doctor filled on Dec. 19th. Today I took the prescription from the dentist to get filled. After waiting around for over an hour at the pharmacy, they finally called my name. When I was paying, I noticed they were only charging me for one item, the penicillin. When I asked about the hydrocodone, the lady behind the counter told me they weren't going to fill it. I asked why not and then, not waiting for an answer, I immediately asked to speak to the pharmacist.

The pharmacists comes over to speak to me and tells me that because I had a hydrocodone prescription filled already, that she was not going to fill the dentists' prescription. Wait, what? I explained my version of events that led to me having to fill two prescriptions for hydrocodone so soon. She said that she needed a note from my doctor telling her that. Wait, what?

I asked her if what I was doing was illegal. She said no, but, she added that it had the potential for abuse. So I asked her that the reason she was not filling it was because she thought I was abusing the hydrocodone? She didn't answer and just looked away. That is precisely when my blood started to boil.

Hey, I'm not a kid anymore, I'm going to be sixty years old in March. Please keep treating your customers like children. I know what I'm doing. She wasn't looking at me when I said those things. But then she said something else that pissed me off even more. She said that I was taking too much to begin with. Well SHIT! I told her I was taking five a day but it was my decision to reduce it to four.

I'm sorry, sir, you're going to have your doctor confirm what you just told me, otherwise I'm not going to fill it. Ever? ever.

It's not fucking illegal, but it's immoral because I could become a junkie, according to her. I walked away seething but not before I politely said "thank you." I wasn't going to give her the pleasure of seeing me pissed off.

Fuck! Even writing this isn't helping me cool down.

Who fucking made the pharmacist judge and jury? Why does she give a shit if I take more than the dose prescribed. And to top it off, she wouldn't give me the prescription back because I could take it to another pharmacy where they don't have the information.

I wrote this quickly and there's probably a ton of mistakes, but I'm pissed at the moment, so forgive my writing.

Personally, it sounds like the pharmacist is just being careful but who knows...I suspect this is a tale that
    may have some truth in it.
    May the FORCE be with you!

My mom was in a rehab center for a week to help after her knee surgery, instead of being able to bring her own vyvanse the rehab center had to get it filled themselves. Long story short, she had ran out of HER vyvanse like 1-2 weeks later, went to go get another script filled and the manager came out yelling that he knew what she was doing and that she needed to leave or be arrested for doctor shopping, rehab center had filled a script with their doctor's name then she tried with her personal doctor resulting in her looking like she went around getting scripts to sell vyvanse. It was really infuriating when she learned the rehab center filled a 30 day script of vyvanse, instead of filling it for a week at a time, the unused pills were thrown away.

His story is likely true, the sad reality is that doctors would rather prescribe painkillers instead of finding what is causing the problem.

It is a true story, the government leans hard on the doctors and the pharmacists, you have bureaucrats that know much more than people with medical degrees with their hands in the mix. Expect this to get exponentially worse in the future.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Always the same.

People who want to make up rules think the rules don't apply to them.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

True story or not, this is what got Rush Limbaugh jammed up. Getting multiple prescriptions for the same drug is illegal.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

Personally, it sounds like the pharmacist is just being careful but who knows...I suspect this is a tale that
    Sorry, I have to side with the DUer on this one. I despise it when pharmacists get above themselves. Perhaps at some point in history dispensing chemists were entitled to make medical decisions, but now they are over educated pill counters and cashiers as far as I am concerned. I have had one grill me about refills because I foolishly thought I could refill all my scripts at once to save time and gasoline and just the other night the pharmacist at Publix told me that _she_ (not the law mind you, or Publix policy) wouldn't sell me hypodermic needles that I wanted (because they don't sell surgical lances). Walgreens sold them to me later that evening.

God damn it, it's my money. I am not interested in the opinion of a pharmacist.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    True story or not, this is what got Rush Limbaugh jammed up. Getting multiple prescriptions for the same drug is illegal.
    Doctor shopping is illegal. Two prescriptions for pain med is not illegal that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

This gives it away.....

And to top it off, she wouldn't give me the prescription back because I could take it to another pharmacy where they don't have the information.
    Of course they kept the prescription!
    Why does she give a shit if I take more than the dose prescribed.
    Because you could overdose.

The DUmmie is doctor shopping for more pain medication. You can't have two scripts at the same time for the same drug, especially now with recent DEA crackdowns. The patient might have a signed contract with his doctor restricting pain scripts to only be written by his doctor. If he needs more for the toothache the dentist and doctor need to work that out or the doctor must give the pharmacist approval to fill the Rx from the dentist.

People in DUmmie land thing the world revolves around them.

IBU 800 works better for tooth pain then hydrocodone.

A pharmacist spends a lot of money going to school and obtaining a pharmacist license. It's easy for them to face charges or lose that license if a mistake is made. They also must protect their place of employment for liability reasons and they often catch mistakes that doctors or the person in the office writing the prescrition miss.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 12-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is a true story, the government leans hard on the doctors and the pharmacists, you have bureaucrats that know much more than people with medical degrees with their hands in the mix. Expect this to get exponentially worse in the future.
    The DEA is now practicing medicine.

Pharmacies must follow a strict controlled substance vs. non controlled substance dispensing ratio.

Is it worth getting shut down to help a DUmmie with a toothache when he is already taking four pills a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Sorry, I have to side with the DUer on this one. I despise it when pharmacists get above themselves. Perhaps at some point in history dispensing chemists were entitled to make medical decisions, but now they are over educated pill counters and cashiers as far as I am concerned. I have had one grill me about refills because I foolishly thought I could refill all my scripts at once to save time and gasoline and just the other night the pharmacist at Publix told me that _she_ (not the law mind you, or Publix policy) wouldn't sell me hypodermic needles that I wanted (because they don't sell surgical lances). Walgreens sold them to me later that evening.

God damn it, it's my money. I am not interested in the opinion of a pharmacist.
    Some insurance companies are able to slowly change your fill dates so that eventually you can pick all your medication up on the same day. Call them. Of course as soon as your doctor writes you a new script, it starts all over again. Some insurance companies and pharmacies call this "alignment."

Many retail pharmacies will allow you to order 30 day supplies from their web sites or smart phone applications and have them delivered free to your home. I do this often.