1. #1 Fusion milestone 
    Fusion energy milestone reported by California scientists

Scientists are creeping closer to their goal of creating a controlled fusion-energy reaction, by mimicking the interior of the sun inside the hardware of a laboratory. In the latest incremental advance, reported Wednesday online in the journal Nature, scientists in California used 192 lasers to compress a pellet of fuel and generate a reaction in which more energy came out of the fuel core than went into it.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

I was following this story on liberal boards and they still think we should only use Solar and wind power, these morons don't know how much power Fusion plants can make.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I say let's split with them - they can have all the solar and the wind and we'll take all the rest.
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Power CUer
    This is a great step forward and Im glad it took place here. Just imagine the good that harnessing this could bring. Libs should love it but its not surprising they have not gotten on board with real clean energy.
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

The good news:

Stewart Prager, director of the Princeton laboratory, applauded the new results reported in Nature by the California team, saying, “It’s the first sign that they’re getting what we call self-heating.”

He’s optimistic about fusion energy in the long run.

“In 30 years, we’ll have electricity on the grid produced by fusion energy — absolutely,” Prager said. “I think the open questions now are how complicated a system will it be, how expensive it will be, how economically attractive it will be.”

The bad news:

Rep. Rush D. Holt (D-N.J.), a physicist who spent 10 years working at the Princeton lab, said Wednesday that the United States is losing leadership in fusion energy research to Europe, Japan, South Korea and China.

“It’s nowhere close to making your electric meter run backwards,” Holt said of fusion energy. “But the reason other countries are now investing more than we are — this is a sad story in itself — is that the country that was the world’s leader in fusion research is no longer.”

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    The good news:

Stewart Prager, director of the Princeton laboratory, applauded the new results reported in Nature by the California team, saying, “It’s the first sign that they’re getting what we call self-heating.”

He’s optimistic about fusion energy in the long run.

“In 30 years, we’ll have electricity on the grid produced by fusion energy — absolutely,” Prager said. “I think the open questions now are how complicated a system will it be, how expensive it will be, how economically attractive it will be.”

The bad news:

Rep. Rush D. Holt (D-N.J.), a physicist who spent 10 years working at the Princeton lab, said Wednesday that the United States is losing leadership in fusion energy research to Europe, Japan, South Korea and China.

“It’s nowhere close to making your electric meter run backwards,” Holt said of fusion energy. “But the reason other countries are now investing more than we are — this is a sad story in itself — is that the country that was the world’s leader in fusion research is no longer.”
    hmmmm.... it was here that first got r done but we're behind everyone.... kinda sounds like someone want more tax dollars. how about we divert all solar wind and biofuel reasearch $ to fusion ?
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

Hell, the government will probably make using the energy damn near impossible to use by regulations, studies, exorbitant cost. Meanwhile, China will probably have it up and running. I swear, libs genuinely want the US to become a second class country.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsedriver View Post
    ................... to become a second class country.

Already there......