1. #1 2014 Consumer Electronics Show 
    SAN FRANCISCO: From drones and smart cars to remote-controlled door locks and eyewear, the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show promises to showcase the " Internet of Things," along with gadgets like smartphones and tablets.
    The technology extravaganza that plays out each year in the glitz-laden city of Las Vegas has evolved beyond the eye-popping television technology for which it is known, to serve as a stage for once-dumb devices given brains in the form of computer chips and Internet connections.

And smartphone and tablets have become such stars in their own rights, complete with rapid release cycles and exclusive launch events, that the titans in that market tend to leave the CES stage and hordes of press from around the world to gizmos that don't usually get a spotlight.

"You will see a lot about the Internet of things; all the gadgets that are not a tablet, smartphone or personal computer but are attached to the Internet," Forrester analyst Frank Gillett said of CES, which officially kicks off on Tuesday.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/28379471.cms

CES organizers are also billing the four-day show as the largest "app event" in the world, complete with hackathons and a mobile applications "showdown."

Now that the show is over several vendors are donating electronics, furniture, etc. to Las Vegas's non profit Opportunity Village and the items will be sold at their thrift stores.

The wood and metal from the displays is donated to Habitat for Humanity.

This is great for those with disabilities that are serviced by the charity in Southern Nevada and a great way for the public to score some great deals on items that might not even be available to the public yet.

I'm told the lines are usually pretty long next week at the thrift stores.

http://www.opportunityvillage.org/

How much of he good stuff do you think will never make it to the store shelf?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

CES was kind of boring for me this year. Tegra's K1 chip looks cool and I'm interested in hearing/seeing more about PS Now. The Xperia Z1s and Z1 Compact also look like nice phones, but I doubt I'll be getting them.

Still waiting for something to top last year's nVidia Shield and the previous year's RetroDuo Portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    CES was kind of boring for me this year. Tegra's K1 chip looks cool and I'm interested in hearing/seeing more about PS Now. The Xperia Z1s and Z1 Compact also look like nice phones, but I doubt I'll be getting them.

Still waiting for something to top last year's nVidia Shield and the previous year's RetroDuo Portable.
    Was there anything cool there?

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    How much of he good stuff do you think will never make it to the store shelf?
    I think I would be cherry picking if I had the chance, but I would pay for the stuff also.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I think I would be cherry picking if I had the chance, but I would pay for the stuff also.
    It's my bet that the "roadies" and their equivalent walked out with their bags full before anybody outside ever got a look - and never paid a dime.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    It's my bet that the "roadies" and their equivalent walked out with their bags full before anybody outside ever got a look - and never paid a dime.
    I hope not but you might be right. The security is usually pretty tight at the events but who knows.

Penn & Teller are huge supporters of Opportunity Village and help them raise a lot of money. It's one of the most worthwhile charities in Las Vegas. I hope a few consumers were able to get some good deals on things that were not on the market yet. Some of the new curved televisions were very expensive.