Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Illegal Immigrants Complain They Get Student Loans Instead of Grants 
    Power CUer
    They are illegal, they can go to California colleges anyway, and take the place of a legal citizen. They are illegal, but they can get Federally guaranteed student loans (US taxpayer on the hook) to go to college. Well, that's not enough: now they want free money that they don't have to pay back. And nobody went to jail for jumping the border.

Illegal Immigrants Complain They Get Student Loans Instead of Grants
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15774/

Some students in the country illegally have complained that the millions of dollars the University of California system recently pledged to help them earn a college degree will come by way of student loans instead of grants.

As UC officials discuss specifics on how the $5 million UC President Janet Napolitano recently budgeted to support undocumented students will be allocated – much of which will go to student loan programs, it’s been decided - some student activists have bemoaned that it’s not fair to strap stressed out, disadvantaged students in the country illegally with college debt.

“We think that the 5 million dollars will have an impact if the money goes directly into the pockets of undocumented students,” By Any Means Necessary campus activist group leader David Douglass told The Daily Californian in an email.

The Californian goes on to report:

Sophomore Ivan Villasenor Madriz, an undocumented student, spoke with representatives from the UC Office of the President and other undocumented student representatives across the UC campuses in a conference call the evening of Dec. 18.

Madriz said the students raised concerns about the use of the funds for loans rather than other types of aid such as grants and work-study. He said loans should not be considered “aid” because they are only increasing student debt and putting more pressure on students.

“The loans that are given out are making one hole to fill another,” he said. “It defeats the purpose of so-called ‘financial aid.’ ”

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    They are illegal, they can go to California colleges anyway, and take the place of a legal citizen. They are illegal, but they can get Federally guaranteed student loans (US taxpayer on the hook) to go to college. Well, that's not enough: now they want free money that they don't have to pay back. And nobody went to jail for jumping the border.

Illegal Immigrants Complain They Get Student Loans Instead of Grants
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15774/

Some students in the country illegally have complained that the millions of dollars the University of California system recently pledged to help them earn a college degree will come by way of student loans instead of grants.

As UC officials discuss specifics on how the $5 million UC President Janet Napolitano recently budgeted to support undocumented students will be allocated – much of which will go to student loan programs, it’s been decided - some student activists have bemoaned that it’s not fair to strap stressed out, disadvantaged students in the country illegally with college debt.

“We think that the 5 million dollars will have an impact if the money goes directly into the pockets of undocumented students,” By Any Means Necessary campus activist group leader David Douglass told The Daily Californian in an email.

The Californian goes on to report:

Sophomore Ivan Villasenor Madriz, an undocumented student, spoke with representatives from the UC Office of the President and other undocumented student representatives across the UC campuses in a conference call the evening of Dec. 18.

Madriz said the students raised concerns about the use of the funds for loans rather than other types of aid such as grants and work-study. He said loans should not be considered “aid” because they are only increasing student debt and putting more pressure on students.

“The loans that are given out are making one hole to fill another,” he said. “It defeats the purpose of so-called ‘financial aid.’ ”
    The purpose of financial aid is to provide the opportunity for an education. If the generosity of the taxpayers isn't sufficient for these ingrates, they can be deported and try their luck in their own countries.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The purpose of financial aid is to provide the opportunity for an education. If the generosity of the taxpayers isn't sufficient for these ingrates, they can be deported and try their luck in their own countries.
    I agree. They should go home and study.

On what planet do we think these people will pay back these loans? That said, how do you apply for a loan without a SSN?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    On what planet do we think these people will pay back these loans? That said, how do you apply for a loan without a SSN?
    If they major in law and not Chicano studies, they should be able to pay it back just fine, since the CA Supreme Court thinks it's ok to be illegal and practice law.

If they major in law and not Chicano studies, they should be able to pay it back just fine, since the CA Supreme Court thinks it's ok to be illegal and practice law.
    Although the CA supremes has awarded Jose his degree in law, they specifically said he was not awarded the right to practice.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Although the CA supremes has awarded Jose his degree in law, they specifically said he was not awarded the right to practice.
    Not exactly. The state of California granted him the right to join the bar and practice law. It is only Federal regulations on hiring known illegal aliens that keep him from being hired (for anything) by a firm or agency. However, I don't think that precludes him from setting up shop independently, although there might be legal issues about making contracts with clients due to his illegal status.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...se-california/

The California Supreme Court ruled Thursday that an illegal immigrant can join the bar and begin to practice law in that state, granting a major symbolic victory to immigrant rights advocates who say it’s a step on the path to equal treatment in employment law.

Rebuffing the Obama administration’s arguments, the justices unanimously decided in favor of Sergio C. Garcia, an illegal immigrant who was twice brought across the border illegally by his parents, eventually earned a law degree from a California school and has been trying to join the bar for years...

...It’s still illegal under federal law for a firm or government agency to hire Mr. Garcia, who does not have federal work authorization. But the justices said they would leave it up to Mr. Garcia to police himself and to be honest with potential clients about what cases he cannot take.

“This court’s granting of a law license to undocumented immigrants would not override or otherwise affect the federal limitations upon the employment of undocumented immigrants,” Chief Justice Cantil-Sakauye wrote. “Nonetheless, for a number of reasons we conclude that existing federal limitations on the employment of undocumented immigrants do not justify excluding undocumented immigrants from admission to the State Bar.”

...Being able to apply may not be the end of Mr. Garcia’s fight. Larry DeSha, a California-based lawyer who has fought Mr. Garcia’s application, argued that it would be illegal for an illegal immigrant to enter into a contract with a client, even as an independent lawyer. Mr. DeSha also said giving Mr. Garcia the imprimatur of a license could mislead potential clients...

Not exactly. The state of California granted him the right to join the bar and practice law. It is only Federal regulations on hiring known illegal aliens that keep him from being hired (for anything) by a firm or agency. However, I don't think that precludes him from setting up shop independently, although there might be legal issues about making contracts with clients due to his illegal status.

I did misquote -

As this bill analysis accurately recognizes, this court‟s granting of a law license to undocumented immigrants would not override or otherwise affect the federal limitations upon the employment of undocumented immigrants.
    Nonetheless, for a number of reasons we conclude that existing federal limitations on the employment of undocumented immigrants do not justify excluding undocumented immigrants from admission to the State Bar.

The Opinion

I did enjoy Judge Chin's comments at the end. But the final end was all due to the CA fruits and nuts who hold office in Sacramento as they passed the law when needed to make no other option for the court..
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Where the hell is my handout?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Where the hell is my handout?