1. #1 Moochelle: "Eat before you come" 
    Power CUer
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...washingtonpost

Guests attending Michelle Obama’s50th birthday party at the White House later this month can look forward to “a little Dougie” but definitely not dinner.

Word’s out that the lucky VIPs invited to fete Mrs. Obama at a “Snacks & Sips & Dancing & Dessert” party have been advised to dust off their dancing shoes and, more strictly, “to eat before you come.”

While it’s always nice to give the stiletto sporting crowd a heads-up, the East Wing’s “EBYC” directive has some folks in the party planning business scratching their heads.

“I don’t think it’s rude, but I do think it’s a little . . . different than what people are used to. How’s that for putting it delicately?” joked Lizzie Post, great-great-granddaughter of Emily Post and co-author of “Great Get-Togethers: Casual Gatherings and Elegant Parties at Home.”

Area party planner Andre Wells agreed that telling guests to grab a meal before they attend a get-together is a bit unusual.

“I’ve never seen it said straight out. That is definitely new,” said Wells, before adding that some harried hostesses might appreciate the break in protocol. “But I know a lot of people will be happy about it. They’ll say, ‘Well, if the president and first lady said it, we can certainly say it on our invites.’ ”

Not so fast, warned Post.

“My advice to people would be not to put ‘eat before you come’ on an invite,” Post said. “And this is not a specific etiquette thing. To me it just sounds so instructive. I’m still in the camp of letting them know what will be served at the party instead of what they should do.”

Whether the Obama’s “EBYC” will start a trend on the party circuit remains to be seen. In the meantime, the first lady, who told children at a local hospital that she’s going to be “fifty and fabulous,” plans to celebrate her own way.

“It seems like a very causal party, and she’s turning 50,” Wells said. “The older you get, I feel like you can say what you want.”

Colin Cowie, Oprah Winfrey’s go-to entertainment guru, worded his reaction gracefully.

“To ask people to ‘eat before you come’ is not the way I would have done it,” Cowie said. “I always think of the food. When it comes to making people feel welcome we give them great music, a well-stocked bar, and excellent food — and you do it abundantly.”

Once upon a time, not all that long ago, it was commonplace to mention what would be served at a party on the invitation, either in the body or as a footer: "seated dinner" or "hors d' oeuvres and wine" or whatever in the footer, or else something making it obvious in the body, such as "join us for after-dinner cocktails in the garden." That was the polite way to let people know what would be served and whether they needed to plan to dine in advance (or afterward).

Unsurprisingly, this First Family has absolutely no class or grace whatsoever.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

The Obamas. Like school on Sunday.

No class.
    Be Not Afraid.

Edicts from the first marxist goddess about an everyday affair that normally follows a bit of tradition (read common sense)?

Who knew?
    Last edited by Janice; 01-07-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

It's certainly crass.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

No, No, NO!
    See, we, the un-initiated, are getting it all wrong!
    My garden gnomes just filled me in on the secret we are all missing (now that they have recovered from frost-bite).

Barry and Moochelle are only looking out for all of us, and the fragile U.S. economy!
    They are trying to demonstrate some frugal spending (granted, a first).

See, first, Barry leaves Moochelle in Hawaii for 2 weeks "as a birthday present"... on our dime, to be sure!
    Then Moochelle (and entourage) flies home to DC ... again, on our dime!

So, to mitigate this (one) fiscal black mark, they plan her DC 'after' party as EBYC to minimize food and preparation costs!

<sarcasm off>

I can hardly wait for the LSM telling us how wonderful and humble the party is.

BB
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Fabulous Poster
    I found it odd that an invitation to a Christmas party last year had a closing time on it. "cocktails and snacks from 8PM until 11." I've never seen a party with a closing time before… outside a club or commercial venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I found it odd that an invitation to a Christmas party last year had a closing time on it. "cocktails and snacks from 8PM until 11." I've never seen a party with a closing time before… outside a club or commercial venue.
    That actually used to be fairly common: "Please join us for dinner from six until eight Tuesday night." I think it dropped out of favor a good bit as people more often gave invites over the phone rather than by mail.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.