Thread: Brown cats...

1. #1 Brown cats... 
    How rare are brown cats? I mean a coco color cat...

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

They used to be more common when there were outhouses before the days of toilet paper.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The Chinese restaurants love them!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Hey Apache,

I actually a couple of searches and I can't find stats on all-brown cats. Black and white cats are popular Google entries, even 4-5 pages in. I'll keep a look out.

When the conversation turned to such things back home, they were referred to as 'brindle.' Seems that term has changed over time.

From "what color is that cat..."

Tabbies

We love tabbies! Tabbies are probably the most common type of homeless cats we see. Tabbies come in lots of colors. The most common is the brown or brown/grey tabby, which generally has brown, black and grey blended together.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Sounds like a tortoise-shell mix. Torties themselves aren't really uncommon, though almost always they are female. They usually are very multi-colored, though:

There is a gene called a "dilution gene" that causes some torties to have coloring that is still multi-colored, but the difference between those colors is far less pronounced. This usually results in a more gray tint, but I've seen dilute torties, as they're called, that have more of a chocolate color:

However, there is also a breed called chocolate Siamese, and these often have a cocoa-colored coat, sometimes pretty much all over the body:

More commonly, though, they have a chocolate-colored face, feet, and tail, and the rest of the body is a lighter tan color, very similar to the traditional "sealpoint" Siamese:

The give-away as to whether or not you're looking at a Siamese are blue eyes, usually a very brilliant sapphire blue.

Here endeth your feline lesson for the day.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Sounds like a tortoise-shell mix. Torties themselves aren't really uncommon, though almost always they are female. They usually are very multi-colored, though:

There is a gene called a "dilution gene" that causes some torties to have coloring that is still multi-colored, but the difference between those colors is far less pronounced. This usually results in a more gray tint, but I've seen dilute torties, as they're called, that have more of a chocolate color:

However, there is also a breed called chocolate Siamese, and these often have a cocoa-colored coat, sometimes pretty much all over the body:

More commonly, though, they have a chocolate-colored face, feet, and tail, and the rest of the body is a lighter tan color, very similar to the traditional "sealpoint" Siamese:

The give-away as to whether or not you're looking at a Siamese are blue eyes, usually a very brilliant sapphire blue.

Here endeth your feline lesson for the day.
    I recognize those breeds...

I said a BROWN cat... I mean coco colored brown
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    When the conversation turned to such things back home, they were referred to as 'brindle.' Seems that term has changed over time.

From "what color is that cat..."

Tabbies

We love tabbies! Tabbies are probably the most common type of homeless cats we see. Tabbies come in lots of colors. The most common is the brown or brown/grey tabby, which generally has brown, black and grey blended together.
    Not a tabbie either
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I recognize those breeds...

I said a BROWN cat... I mean coco colored brown
    How about a picture?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.