1. #1 The way things were...Education - Part 1 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    My dear wife and I were talking tonight at dinner and the subject turned to
    education and how badly some of the kids today are doing.

I'm in my mid 50's as a reference point.

For the purpose of this thread, lets not go past 8th grade. We can cover that in Part 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Up to 1st grade I was in a Catholic school.... My folks got me out and into the Public
    Skool system pretty quick. I was in good old PS #12 in Bayonne, NJ. And back then, public school
    was damn good as were the teachers. I LEARNED things there like I was supposed to.

Advancing to the next grade was NOT automatic, you had to earn it by passing tests and
    showing your teachers you DESERVED to advance. People got... "Left Back" ZOMG!!!! I knew
    kids that got "left back". Except for a few that I now know had mental problems, you were a
    real fuck up if you got "left back". People looked at you strange. It wasn't accepted to be
    "left back", it was a stigma and it usually only took being "left back" once before you
    figured out it wasn't ok. I was expected to advance and I would have gotten my
    ass kicked if I hadn't.

The school system was good. I was able to go home for lunch. The building was in easy
    walking distance. I respected (and feared) my teachers and the Princple. If you were
    sent to "See the Princple"...your life span had just gotten shorter.

You were encouraged to do well, do your best. If you were better than
    someone else, good for you! Teachers weren't worried that it wasn't "fair".
    In sports out in the school yard we played to WIN, there was a winner and a
    loser. And losing sucked. You didn't want to lose or hang around with losers.

Do you how many kids I Forced Choked back then??? I couldn't crush the
    life out of them but I at least tried!!!

School wasn't wimpy, it was fun but you always knew you were there for
    a reason. Drugs?? I really doubt it. Sex? Also probably not.

You were expected to learn and advance. Losing wasn't cool, winning was.
    Is it still like this???

How about you???
    May the FORCE be with you!

Yeah, you actually learned in school. I was in school from 1970-1983 and it was a whole different ball game then. However, at about 4th grade my school went away from the A/B/C system of grading to a C/S/U system(commendable/satisfactory/unsatisfactory). Early form of political correctness.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I started public school in '42 and can agree with you on many points. I never knew church schools existed until well after the 8th.

The most egregious changes to me is the removal of shame from the schools arsenal of control. No one wanted to be shamed by the teacher or another student and if the shame was in the form of bullying or some such then the teacher was on it like ugly on ape. The bully was the one who ended up shamed and likely had the board of education applied to his backside. If it was just a normal disagreement, you were expected to take it out back after school.

Games were made up on the spot, rules? what rules? winning was good but you got here fair and square, not by cheating.

I rode my bike to school from grade one through 6. It was a mile one way but was downhill part of the time.

If I was the one getting acquainted with the 'school board' and the principal, I got it again when I got home - sometimes twice.

I pity the children of today and most of the teachers. Yes, much of what is bandied about here of the ills of public education is accurate except for the the part about the classroom teacher being part and parcel of the problem. It's more the fault and failure of the education professors, state level PTBs and the unions than any teachers. They, for the most part, want the child to learn - both facts and reasoning. More of that in part 2.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Fabulous Poster
    I remember being shown Soviet agriculture propaganda films in the 2nd grade. They had a plan. in 8th grade they showed us "Shameful Harvest" a US propaganda film. In between I watched The Grapes Of Wrath on my own, a Hollywood propaganda film. At church they showed us propaganda films, and on TV they showed us propaganda films. Oh, this thread if about school....

My great aunt was the principle at the local elementary school- I went Catholic school. The Catholic School had forty kids in a classroom. The teachers taught by rote and recital. It worked. We prided ourselves on our ability to do "times tables" a yellow card which had the results of addition, subtraction, multiplication which you and a friend would ask each other things like "what's 12 x 8?". we also read the encyclopedia and had spelling contests to determine what "grade level" we were at.

We started school at six. We already knew how to read, write, and do math before school started. The summer I was five, I remember the Head Start bus arriving at the park while we were there with my friend's babysitter. We wanted to know what it was and she told us in less than polite terms who was on the bus. The point is that it wasn't so much what the school did for us as it was that our parents taught us, expected us to learn, kept us home until we were old enough to go to school. But what the school did do was being consistent, helpful, and more than offset the fact that they were somewhat rigid and hard on young boys who didn't want to sit there and be quiet like good little girls.

Power CUer
    Youve reminded me of something Id forgotten, being an idiot was not something to be desired because even in grade school you knew it would limit you in life. And thats key.

Mainly though it brings to mind my usual rant regarding education that the number one obstacle AND number one propeller is parents (back then) and parent(s) now. It was NOT acceptable for me to come home with bad grades and for me to earn autonomy in study demanded I deserved it or there WOULD be mom or dad or maybe siblings sitting with me.

i had a problem in that I would tend to underachieve. I hated parent teacher confrences (andthe folks never missed even one) because I would get some degree of the "underachieve speech. What they were hearing was that I really was a smart kid and could do so much better if I would only try.

The problem was, of course, all too much of the school work was so damn boring I barely stayed awake and could get reasonably good enough grades with little or no effort. I used to answer math worksheets of columns and rows of problems in geometric patterns just to make it take a little longer so I wouldnt have to sit around watxhing the rest of the class.

Of course they didnt have any sort of advanced programs so the teachers did what they could. Rant over. Parents in the burbs still do this and those kids do just fine but elsewhere and even in those burbs some parent(s) just do not and those kids put a drag on the schools vis a vis standardized testing. And yes you see my S in parens because this is where I go on my no fault divorce rant which I hold a noteworthy part of the problem.

Childrearing is hard enough with two parents so I really respect those managing it with one. It really saddens me that so many find themselves having to do it. Id see the diference in my coaching days and seeing those kids who are not getting that support that the others are is heart breaking. Maybethats why I loved doing what I could as a coach because you could see the difference right on their faces.

OK Ive bored you enough.

(I picked my "name" because I coached youth softball and basketball while my kid was palying in rec leagues. I directed the girls basketball program and then retired to work for the rec league, paying it back plus there were still kids Id been seeing for yeqrs who were still playing. Im retired now but it was a big part of my life for that time. History lesson over.)

edit allows paragraphs on demand !
    Last edited by coach; 01-25-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Youve reminded me of something Id forgotten, being an idiot was not something to be desired because even in grade school you knew it would limit you in life. And thats key. Mainly though it brings to mind my usual rant regarding education that the number one obstacle AND number one propeller is parents (back then) and parent(s) now. It was NOT acceptable for me to come home with bad grades and for me to earn autonomy in study demanded I deserved it or there WOULD be mom or dad or maybe siblings sitting with me. I had a problem in that I would tend to underachieve. I hated parent teacher confrences (andthe folks never missed even one) because I would get some degree of the "underachieve speech. What they were hearing was that I really was a smart kid and could do so much better if I would only try. The problem was, of course, all too much of the school work was so damn boring I barely stayed awake and could get reasonably good enough grades with little or no effort. I used to answer math worksheets of columns and rows of problems in geometric patterns just to make it take a little longer so I wouldnt have to sit around watxhing the rest of the class. Of course they didnt have any sort of advanced programs so the teachers did what they could. Rant over. Parents in the burbs still do this and those kids do just fine but elsewhere and even in those burbs some parent(s) just do not and those kids put a drag on the schools vis a vis standardized testing. And yes you see my S in parens because this is where I go on my no fault divorce rant which I hold a noteworthy part of the problem. Childrearing is hard enough with two parents so I really respect those managing it with one. It really saddens me that so many find themselves having to do it. Id see the diference in my coaching days and seeing those kids who are not getting that support that the others are is heart breaking. Maybethats why I loved doing what I could as a coach because you could see the difference right on their faces. OK Ive bored you enough. (I picked my "name" because I coached youth softball and basketball while my kid was palying in rec leagues. I directed the girls basketball program and then retired to work for the rec league, paying it back plus there were still kids Id been seeing for yeqrs who were still playing. Im retired now but it was a big part of my life for that time. History lesson over.)
    Coach, paragraphs are your friend!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

SR, I played this a while ago see link! Things sure were different!

http://www.conservativeunderground.c...t=report+cards

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Coach, paragraphs are your friend!
    agreed but on this tablet my newline sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Ill try to figger it out..
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.