Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
  1. #21  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    His core beliefs are no different than his two predecessors. The only reason you like this Pope I'm guessing is because he put the words "capitalism" and "bad" in the same sentence.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Why does anyone give a rat's patoot what he thinks? We never read about the opinions of the Grand Poobah of Rama Krishna.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The only true Christians as they can be traced back to Christ.

    It's not like they follow some made up religion by a guy that tacked some papers to a door or another guy that stuck his head in a hat.
    And yet, no one thought to paint his picture or save his baby booties. Amazing when you think about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,712
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The only true Christians as they can be traced back to Christ.

    It's not like they follow some made up religion by a guy that tacked some papers to a door or another guy that stuck his head in a hat.

    That's not true.

    Martin Luther split from the Catholic Church because the Catholic Church had drifted so far from the original teachings of Jesus and the Apostles. I've read the Bible several times, I never saw anything in it about:

    1. Mary's mother being a virgin when Mary was conceived.
    2. Buying/selling of indulgences.
    3. Praying to anyone but the Trinitarian God.
    4. Bleeding statues, visions of the BVM on tortilla shells, crazy stuff like that, even if it is fun.
    5. Literal transubstantiation via the Eucharist. It's actually a disgusting concept-the priest makes everyone into a cannibal.

    Those are just some of the easy ones.

    All churches, Catholic and Protestant, trace their orgin to Jesus and the original church founded by the Apostles, except the Orthodox churches, and I really don't know much of their history, except that I'm assuming their separation had more to do with the split in the Roman Empire (Rome/Byzantia) than anything else. Protestants left the Catholic Church because it was no longer practicing the faith of Jesus and had become a corrupt organization that was more interested in its own wealth than the spiritual welfare of it's membership during the Middle Ages.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That's not true.

    Martin Luther split from the Catholic Church because the Catholic Church had drifted so far from the original teachings of Jesus and the Apostles. I've read the Bible several times, I never saw anything in it about:

    1. Mary's mother being a virgin when Mary was conceived.
    2. Buying/selling of indulgences.
    3. Praying to anyone but the Trinitarian God.
    4. Bleeding statues, visions of the BVM on tortilla shells, crazy stuff like that, even if it is fun.
    5. Literal transubstantiation via the Eucharist. It's actually a disgusting concept-the priest makes everyone into a cannibal.

    Those are just some of the easy ones.

    All churches, Catholic and Protestant, trace their orgin to Jesus and the original church founded by the Apostles, except the Orthodox churches, and I really don't know much of their history, except that I'm assuming their separation had more to do with the split in the Roman Empire (Rome/Byzantia) than anything else. Protestants left the Catholic Church because it was no longer practicing the faith of Jesus and had become a corrupt organization that was more interested in its own wealth than the spiritual welfare of it's membership during the Middle Ages.

    I don't think all Protestant churches believe in apostolic succession; some are rather hostile to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I don't think all Protestant churches believe in apostolic succession; some are rather hostile to it.
    Thing is no matter how many disagreements there were, I don't think we were supposed to split. Paul spoke against church division. I don't think non-Catholics are going to Hell though. I even agree with them in some areas.

    on edit: He also said women need to be silent, so I'll use that as an excuse to hush now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,290
    Everyone that voted for Obama is going straight to hell, I read it somewhere, must be true.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    And yet, no one thought to paint his picture or save his baby booties. Amazing when you think about it.
    For you to deny the historical fact that Christ, the man, walked this earth makes you look like a fool and a tool. It's accepted history. By real historians. Yes, Biblical and secular historians agree and confirm that the man Jesus Christ, as described in The Bible, did in fact exist. It's a fact. Indisputable. He walked the same earth you do and breathed the same air. It's undeniable. It's clear with irrefutable evidence. It can't be argued against. It's legitimate. It's no lie. It happened.

    If you choose to not believe the divinity, that's your call, but the history is clear.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,063
    I never saw anything in it about:

    1. Mary's mother being a virgin when Mary was conceived. - Not sure what you're talking about but if it's the Immaculate Conception that's not what that is.
    2. Buying/selling of indulgences. - That's what made Martin pee his pants. He had it wrong about what was actually happening.
    3. Praying to anyone but the Trinitarian God. - It's praying on behalf of. Like you asking someone to same some prayers for you (basically).
    4. Bleeding statues, visions of the BVM on tortilla shells, crazy stuff like that, even if it is fun. - That's not limited to Catholicism. Silly you would even mention it.
    5. Literal transubstantiation via the Eucharist. It's actually a disgusting concept-the priest makes everyone into a cannibal. - John Chapter 6. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

    Those are just some of the easy ones. - If you mean easy to refute, I agree.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,005
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That's not true.

    Martin Luther split from the Catholic Church because the Catholic Church had drifted so far from the original teachings of Jesus and the Apostles. I've read the Bible several times, I never saw anything in it about:
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    1. Mary's mother being a virgin when Mary was conceived.
    She wasn't. The Immaculate conception is about Mary's sinlessness, not about St. Anne's.


    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    3. Praying to anyone but the Trinitarian God.
    Where do you think the interpretation for Trinitarian God came from? A close reading of Jesus' own words and the references he was making to his Father and the Paraclete, whom he would send. Now, you might argue that that pagan world misunderstood what "Son of God" meant and how that related to the Father and the Holy Spirit, but you cannot argue that the basis of Trinity did not appear in Scripture.

    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    4. Bleeding statues, visions of the BVM on tortilla shells, crazy stuff like that, even if it is fun.
    These items are not articles of the faith at all. They are "folk-faith", if you will, and the Catholic Church has long, convoluted processes to ascertain the truth (or non truth) of unusual phenomena. The case of St. Bernadette of Lourdes, for example, was considered highly suspect by the Church for a long time. It takes more than a bleeding tortilla to get the canons of the Church to put their imprimatur on your taco.

    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    5. Literal transubstantiation via the Eucharist. It's actually a disgusting concept-the priest makes everyone into a cannibal.
    Here again, if you look at Scripture, the mass uses the very words of Jesus in the Gospels. The Catholics have one interpretation, the Protestants another, but the words are there and either interpretation could be considered valid. The "cannibalism" charge is old, hackneyed and simply not true. The Sacrament is a spiritual one.

    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Those are just some of the easy ones.
    No, they are just some of the easy misunderstandings you have about what Catholics believe.


    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    All churches, Catholic and Protestant, trace their orgin to Jesus and the original church founded by the Apostles, except the Orthodox churches, and I really don't know much of their history, except that I'm assuming their separation had more to do with the split in the Roman Empire (Rome/Byzantia) than anything else. Protestants left the Catholic Church because it was no longer practicing the faith of Jesus and had become a corrupt organization that was more interested in its own wealth than the spiritual welfare of it's membership during the Middle Ages.
    I can't speak for Church hierarchy, but most organizational hierarchies think they're above their own rules, and that includes Lutheran ministers I have known. Ask me, sometime, about the Lutheran minister who sexually harassed the soprano soloist (she left the job), who alienated 2/3 of the congregation with his arrogance (they left, the number of services was cut in half, and the church budget was cut even further), and who exercised such dictatorial control over the staff that good, talented people left, leaving only the sycophants. True story, and if you want, I'll give you the link to the church and the name of that minister. Fortunately, he left, but I don't know what the circumstances were. The remaining congregants were terrified to go up against him or were too "nice" to create any waves. That "niceness" was their undoing, because they mistook pleasant politeness for Christianity.


    Your flippancy is only matched by your lack of depth of knowledge in this area.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Why does anyone give a rat's patoot what he thinks? We never read about the opinions of the Grand Poobah of Rama Krishna.
    You read about the opinions of the Dali Lama all the time. Many on the left are in awe of his pronouncements (but are unaware of his intelligence (Langley) connections.) And of course, there's the Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •