Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    AND YOU'RE DEFENDING IT. You really want to know why people look at your party as they do? This is why. It's not that Dems hate rich people. Most don't. It's that the policies of the GOP are beyond heartless AND THEY'RE PROUD OF IT. That's nothing to be proud of.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Didn't you think all insurance agents should go out of business and we switch to universal care?
    If it was universal healthcare, I'd think that. It's not. In fact, when it first got passed, I got a job selling health insurance for a short time period. The employer's logic was the same as mine. People are going to have to buy it, which means health insurance companies get more money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    People with children get HUGE tax breaks at the federal level. Earned Income Tax Credit comes to mind. Having children is a choice, don't want kids? Don't have sex. Why should my tax money pay for someone else's kids? I know you like socialism, you just proved it once again.

    I own a house. I'm not screaming for free money.

    Maybe NC could pass an abortion tax to help the working poor?
    How about giving tax dollars back to working parents and home owners. They pay into the system during the year. They should be able to get some of that money back.

    Think of it this way. People getting some of their money back helps out corporations because they can better pay their bills. Credit card companies get huge payments during this time period I'm sure.

    Hey, being a single person running for office won't look good on me. You need to come down here and marry me to avoid scandal. lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    How about giving tax dollars back to working parents and home owners. They pay into the system during the year. They should be able to get some of that money back.

    Think of it this way. People getting some of their money back helps out corporations because they can better pay their bills. Credit card companies get huge payments during this time period I'm sure.

    Hey, being a single person running for office won't look good on me. You need to come down here and marry me to avoid scandal. lol.
    Will it be a real marriage or one of those fake civil union thingys?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Will it be a real marriage or one of those fake civil union thingys?

    I want to say a Bill and Hilary one of convenience. Yeah, that's bad. lol.


    She's going to hate her life when she finally realizes what a waste of time all her years with Bill were.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    First of all, a lack of unemployment does not mean those people found jobs. If they found jobs, that doesn't mean they were full time. A VR rep in North Carolina informed me that most jobs were part time.

    Next, if the governor or other NC Republicans tell you they cut taxes and leave it at that, they're only telling half of the truth. They cut taxes being taken out of the paycheck to about 5.8 percent for everybody instead of the three tier system. That sounds fair until you consider the fact that they took away a lot of the tax breaks for the working class and middle class in favor of cutting corporate taxes.

    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-start-in.html

    Already quoted this article elsewhere, so I don't do it again.
    Lanie, the tax breaks in your link don't place until 2014. They could not possibly have had an effect on North Carolina's unemployment rate mentioned in the OP.

    Major N.C. tax changes start in new year

    RALEIGH North Carolina state leaders say major tax changes taking effect in 2014 will simplify returns, create jobs and keep more money in people’s wallets. Critics say the new rules will diminish funds for schools and widen the gap between haves and have-nots.

    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

    If you're going to quote an article, at least make sure the facts are relevant to your argument. Your false confidence based on the misuse of a link is unwarranted here.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Lanie, the tax breaks in your link don't place until 2014. They could not possibly have had an effect on North Carolina's unemployment rate mentioned in the OP.

    Major N.C. tax changes start in new year

    RALEIGH North Carolina state leaders say major tax changes taking effect in 2014 will simplify returns, create jobs and keep more money in people’s wallets. Critics say the new rules will diminish funds for schools and widen the gap between haves and have-nots.

    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

    If you're going to quote an article, at least make sure the facts are relevant to your argument. Your false confidence based on the misuse of a link is unwarranted here.
    The tax changes take affect now. As of now, we are no longer allowed to claim more than one dependent. That's now, not January 2015 when we file our taxes. Sales taxes have also went up in some areas (some of which I do agree with). Property taxes on some things have gone up.

    And if we want to talk about the misuse of a link, about the bullcrap of the unemployment rate going down because it got slashed? That's meant to make people believe that lazy people just went back to work. That's not the case. First of all, unemployment went down because it got slashed. Duh. Also, people who no longer qualify for unemployment will not be considered part of the work force if they're not working. Next, people will not be considered part of the work force if they gave up on looking for a job for whatever reason.

    So, here's more information on what really happened.

    http://www.journalnow.com/business/b...a4bcf6878.html

    Meanwhile, advocates cite that more than 110,000 North Carolinians have left the job market in the past year, thus are not counted as unemployed.
    “While the unemployment rate did fall sharply over the course of 2013, the number of employed persons barely changed, meaning that unemployment fell due to people leaving the labor market altogether rather than finding work,” said John Quinterno, a principal with research firm South by North Strategies, Ltd. “None of the 2013 data suggests that North Carolina’s labor market has turned a corner and has moved onto a more robust, more sustainable trajectory.”
    Here are the latest figures, based on seasonally adjusted data:
    u The jobless rate has fallen 2.6 percentage points in the past 12 months from 9.5 percent in January 2013. The last time the North Carolina unemployment rate was at 6.9 percent was September 2008 — about two months before the full impact of the economic downturn began to be fully experienced.
    By comparison, the U.S. unemployment rate was 6.9 percent in December.
    u According to the monthly household survey, there were 13,414 more North Carolinians listed as employed and 110,930 fewer listed in the labor force, from December 2012 compared to 2013.
    Did you guys read that? More people were employed before unemployment was cut. People want to believe that these heartless policies are good, so they create articles like the ones with the OP while not giving all the facts about the situation. People didn't get jobs. They gave up. My idea of economic recovery is not giving up. It's not slashing unemployment and then claiming recovery when there is little to no job increase. It's jobs.

    Oh, and raising taxes (i.e. taking away exemptions) from the people who need it most (working poor and middle class) does not help an economy. It hurts it. Those people will be afraid to spend money and they'll save back for the big tax filing of 2015. This is bad all the way around. It really does serve nobody but the rich and MAYBE the single person with no kids or property. Everybody else is getting screwed over in this state, and yet I hear rumors of McCrory running for President. Do your party a favor and DON'T.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    The tax changes take affect now. As of now, we are no longer allowed to claim more than one dependent. That's now, not January 2015 when we file our taxes. Sales taxes have also went up in some areas (some of which I do agree with). Property taxes on some things have gone up.

    And if we want to talk about the misuse of a link, about the bullcrap of the unemployment rate going down because it got slashed? That's meant to make people believe that lazy people just went back to work. That's not the case. First of all, unemployment went down because it got slashed. Duh. Also, people who no longer qualify for unemployment will not be considered part of the work force if they're not working. Next, people will not be considered part of the work force if they gave up on looking for a job for whatever reason.

    So, here's more information on what really happened.

    http://www.journalnow.com/business/b...a4bcf6878.html



    Did you guys read that? More people were employed before unemployment was cut. People want to believe that these heartless policies are good, so they create articles like the ones with the OP while not giving all the facts about the situation. People didn't get jobs. They gave up. My idea of economic recovery is not giving up. It's not slashing unemployment and then claiming recovery when there is little to no job increase. It's jobs.

    Oh, and raising taxes (i.e. taking away exemptions) from the people who need it most (working poor and middle class) does not help an economy. It hurts it. Those people will be afraid to spend money and they'll save back for the big tax filing of 2015. This is bad all the way around. It really does serve nobody but the rich and MAYBE the single person with no kids or property. Everybody else is getting screwed over in this state, and yet I hear rumors of McCrory running for President. Do your party a favor and DON'T.
    Why do you hate the rich, the people who have been successful and are the major force behind jobs and driving the economy? You will make a good little communist someday, for awhile.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Why do you hate the rich, the people who have been successful and are the major force behind jobs and driving the economy? You will make a good little communist someday, for awhile.
    I don't hate the rich. If somebody can make it successful, then more power to them.

    I just don't think that their tax cut should come at the expense of tax cuts that the working poor and the middle class get. They need them more. They need that money to buy food and pay bills (both of which help the rich people because it gives money to their companies).

    While I'm not sure if unemployment should have been constantly extended as Obama wanted, I know that cutting it down to 12 weeks is not the answer. That's kicking people while they're down and decreasing their chances of re-joining the workforce. I believe that we should grow economically together.

    Claiming that we hate the rich and that we're communist is just a way to try to shut down debate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I want to say a Bill and Hilary one of convenience. Yeah, that's bad. lol.


    She's going to hate her life when she finally realizes what a waste of time all her years with Bill were.
    If you feel you need to use me I will allow it. In the meantime I'm hungry. Do you have a pecan tree? I like pecan pie.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •