Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 About wealthy people 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Yeah, it's about what you'd expect mostly...

Tue Jan 28, 2014, 02:40 PM
    GRACIEBIRD (30 posts)

About wealthy people

As I've grown up I've been exposed to a number of wealthy people. Most of them have been "self-made" meaning their wealth was amassed by their own action, not by their birth.

They are different than you and I. Do they work harder? No, not really. They work differently. Let me explain.

They LOVE building business and making money. In fact they live for it. I firmly believe that the vast majority of "self made" wealthy people could be dropped in a small town with $10 in their pocket and be a wealthy again in a few years. It's who they are, they have special skills to facilitate this. They resonate confidence and power. They are single minded. They wake in the morning before the average citizen to check the news and check their investments. They look at every facet of life as an opportunity to build wealth.

I, on the other hand will never be one of them. I prefer to goof around online or be in nature or with friends having fun. I prefer to enjoy life by letting the winds of life tussle my hair rather than trying to control the wind.

So what is the meaning of this rant? I have no problem with many wealthy people.
    They are a rare and unique type of person who is vital for a nation. However I do have a problem with how some of them use their money or hoard it. Every dollar/euro taken out of circulation by setting in a 401k or a mutual fund or a Zurich bank vault has lost it's ability to drive the economic engine. I am a proponent of fair taxation. I believe that money should not be stagnant. Possibly a tax on unspent money or further taxes on investment income?

But finally, don't hate the wealthy for being different. But encourage them to keep their money circulating.

(oh and to clarify, I'm only talking about people who become wealthy by their efforts not by birth or Hollywood, etc.)
    I think this birdie will be cooked soon...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Every dollar/euro taken out of circulation by setting in a 401k or a mutual fund or a Zurich bank vault has lost it's ability to drive the economic engine. I am a proponent of fair taxation. I believe that money should not be stagnant.

Boxerfan (874 posts)

9. I kinda have to say you have a skewed view

Because I don't see these creative people getting ahead at all. The fact is unless you have a lot of money or influence you don't stand a chance on a even competitive basis. I have seen many creative & smart people have the ideas they worked so hard on stolen-or outsourced-that's how the real wealthy make money. Very few creative types amongst the bunch. But the sure know how to leach off a profit any way they can.

And I was born to a "wealthy" family....I can assure you-benevolence is not a key trait amongst the wealthy. Cruelty seems to be something acquired by great wealth & time. One is not affected by the trivial of actually having to make it. Or sell it-or whatever. they just siphon or steal.

My Dad set the standard when he disowned his 3 juvenile children-and then was killed in a Foxhunt in England. Under mysterious circumstance of course with my Stepmother playing the fiddle.

Eat the fucking Rich!
    Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Good Lord, yet another DU idiot who thinks there really IS a Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin, and that all the invested money in 401k plans and other investments goes straight into it!

I don't know if the wealthy are different from me or not, I just know I would like to be one of them!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know if the wealthy are different from me or not, I just know I would like to be one of them!

As would 99% of the DUmmies but they aren't intellectually honest enough to admit it.
    May the FORCE be with you!

7. #7 Keep plugging away because you never know... 
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You might get there. I remember an idea that popped in to my head once for a foam cube with a deep slit on one side that would mount on a dip stick tube and wipe the stick if you pulled it through the cube. Pull through first to wipe, then pull without going through the slit to check the oil level. But alas someone had already made one called the Lady Bug. A lady in my home town noticed how difficult the plastic jugs that they give at hospitals to urinate in were for her to use so she came up with the idea of angling them to fit the body better. That made her an enormous amount of money and now she has a medical equipment company or did when I lived there. Point is you never know until you try! Now if could just figure out how to make Frozen Wine Pops .....
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post
    You might get there. I remember an idea that popped in to my head once for a foam cube with a deep slit on one side that would mount on a dip stick tube and wipe the stick if you pulled it through the cube. Pull through first to wipe, then pull without going through the slit to check the oil level. But alas someone had already made one called the Lady Bug. A lady in my home town noticed how difficult the plastic jugs that they give at hospitals to urinate in were for her to use so she came up with the idea of angling them to fit the body better. That made her an enormous amount of money and now she has a medical equipment company or did when I lived there. Point is you never know until you try! Now if could just figure out how to make Frozen Wine Pops .....

My grandpa invented several things, but most of them were through Ford. He got stock or royalties or something like that in exchange. He invented a specific kind of wrench on his own, and made a good amount of money from that. My mom is pretty wealthy these days because of it.

These idiots actually believe that money is distributed and not earned. Worse yet, they believe that if you die your wealth should revert back to the state. Funny thing is, if they had it they'd think differently. Of course this line of thinking doesn't apply to Hollywood people, athletes, or musicians and most of all Democrat politicians.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

They are a rare and unique type of person who is vital for a nation. However I do have a problem with how some of them use their money or hoard it. Every dollar/euro taken out of circulation by setting in a 401k or a mutual fund or a Zurich bank vault has lost it's ability to drive the economic engine. I am a proponent of fair taxation. I believe that money should not be stagnant. Possibly a tax on unspent money or further taxes on investment income?
    The economic ignorance at DU knows no bounds. Money in a 401K or in a bank account is anything but "out of circulation." If it's in a 401K then it's invested in stocks or bonds. If it's at a bank then the bank is loaning it out. Both of these help "drive the economic engine."

The only way to "hoard" money is to put it under your mattress or bury it in a coffee can in your back yard. Both of which are stupid ideas.