Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I'd tell these idiots at Northwestern they have two choices.

a) go find another place to play football because we're dropping the program

b) go ahead and have your union, but everything that was provided for you free of charge before you now have to pay for with your new "professional" status.
    Their bigger idiots then that.

First of which. Enjoy paying taxes on your Scholarships. This is now, ruled by the NLRB a payment for a Job, thus taxable. Where before it was tax free.

Further more, none of them may now play any NCAA sports by law. NCAA rules state Full Scholarship Student-Athletes are prohibited from working for the Department of Athletics or in athletics facilities.
    Ok, your now an employee now. Guess what, by the rules, you can't play any more.

So any more if you want to play college sports, you can't have any Scholarships for players, no housing for them of any kind, limited to no more then $2000. over the max. amount of their scholarship (Which is $0.00) in income and pay taxes on that.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    U of M Stadium packs in 106,000+ every Saturday the Wolverines play at home bringing in millions of dollars. People aren't paying up to 500 a seat to watch the grass grow.
    One could argue that many of the players are already getting "paid" if they are getting a full ride worth 25 to 50K per year.

The only thing for certain is that the lawyers on both sides will make out like bandits.
    I'm not supporting unionizing NCAA players, but I do support some NCAA reforms-I'm glad you chose UM as your example, as they have been caught in the past running some pretty sleazy basketball programs. Chris Webber would be a convicted felon if the main witness against him hadn't dropped dead of a heart attack a few weeks before the trial. An alumni allegedly gave him "gifts" of cash and cars to play b-ball there.

Tom Izzo, on the other hand, has run a clean program at MSU for a while. Parents want their kids to play on his team because they know he will look out for them in the right way a coach should look out for his players.

I don't have a horse in the UM/MSU divide-my literal horse was eliminated in the first round (WMU Broncos). I think UM is the better academic school, but Tom Izzo is a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    The only thing for certain is that the lawyers on both sides will make out like bandits.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm not supporting unionizing NCAA players, but I do support some NCAA reforms-.
    No doubt reforms are needed and most likely past due. I think it's a pretty corrupt system to start with.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 03-30-2014 at 06:08 AM.

The players' petition was a way to get a seat at the bargaining table in college sports and could change the landscape of the NCAA model.

Northwestern University fought the petition by saying its players are students, not employees.

But the board's decision indicates that there was enough evidence presented that the athletes are employees of the university -- getting paid in the form of scholarships, working between 20 and 50 hours per week and generating millions of dollars for their institutions.

The athletes have said they're seeking better medical coverage, concussion testing, four-year scholarships and the possibility of being paid.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/us/nor...ion/index.html

This could backfire on the players. If I were the colleges I'd compel the student/athletes to stay for 4 years. If not then they have to pay back every penny of their scholarships.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I think schools should look at getting rid of some sports programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!

So what did they go through all this for to now vote overwhelmingly against forming their union?

Can't wait till Trumka demands this over turned and the members be forced into his union.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

So what did they go through all this for to now vote overwhelmingly against forming their union?

Can't wait till Trumka demands this over turned and the members be forced into his union.
    Glad they voted it down but it seems like a waste of taxpayer money during the process.

10. #20 Northwestern players seek to join labor union 
    Good. If they voted yes, I'd have disbanded the entire program. Now everyone affiliated with NW hates your stupid asses. College lesson #1: decisions have consequences.