Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 National Anthem BUTCHERED (again) 
    I received the following email from a brother in the VHCMA prior to the Super Bowl and right on cue last night the National Anthem was butchered once again. As a traditionalist with an increasingly frowned upon sense of nationalism who also cringes at these "renditions", I find it equally appalling that it has to be announced to "Please rise, and "remove your hats" prior to the National Anthem. Many (if not most) of us remember a time when removing your hat before the National Anthem was as automatic as placing your hand over your heart when you recited the Pledge of Allegiance. (which too is going by the wayside). I personally view this as yet another example of the fragmentation of our society where the insidiousness of "diversity" blurs our cohesive sense of nationalism.

Or maybe I'm just being anal.

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan .

"So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling. Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage. Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America , not you. And please remember, not everything has to be sung as a Negro spiritual. We're getting a little weary of that. Francis Scott Key does not need any help."

Semper Fi
    Under Capitalism, Man Exploits Man

Under Communism, It's the Other Way Around

How was it butchered?

Renee Fleming is one of the best American opera voices there is, and she did an awesome job. She hit every note perfectly.

Power CUer
    Someone watching a rerun ? No gyrations at all and if there were vocal gymnastics they were probably always in the score. That young lady is a national treasure as an opera singer and the picture of taste.
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

I thought she did it pretty well. I'm not really a big fan of that operatic style, but I don't think it really took away from the song, either.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Power CUer
    I AM an opera fan, and I thought Renee Fleming did an excellent job.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

"That young lady is a national treasure as an opera singer and the picture of taste"

"Renee Fleming is one of the best American opera voices there is"

Thank you for both making and missing my point (as well as the Marine Corps Colonel's)

The National Anthem, (In My Opinion), is truly a "National Treasure" as was Francis Scott Key, and it's singing before events is to highlight this facts as well as instill the intended sense of pride and nationalism it celebrates. This wasn't about Renee Fleming's progressive interpretation and one would think that someone is the "profession" would realize that some things can't be improved on regardless to their talents.

"vocal gymnastics they were probably always in the score"

That were "probably"? Did you really say that?

Again I find these "renditions" repugnant just as I found the Coca Cola commercial that sang "America the Beautiful" in foreign languages. Apparently "assimilation" has lost just as much meaning as "tradition and nationalism".
    Last edited by Sherwood 4ust; 02-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Under Capitalism, Man Exploits Man

Under Communism, It's the Other Way Around

Power CUer
    It was far less histrionic than Whitney Houston's version several years ago, which people generally thought was fabulous. Presumably it didn't ruin the whole game for you?
    Keep in mind that "To Anacreon in Heaven" WAS an old drinking song, and was probably sung in far less savory circumstances back in the day. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    LOL - someone on a friend's Facebook page commented that she did a good performance and "she also had fewer interceptions than Denver". :)

I guess next year, they can have Beyonce sing it while wearing a flag-themed bra and panties to satisfy the masses.

Fabulous Poster
    I had never heard of Renee Fleming. Great dress and the performance wasn't the worst I have ever endured. Now that I have said something nice:

What would be wrong with singing the national anthem correctly? Do singers in other countries feel the need to hold short notes, warble at the top, etc….?

There is a proper way of singing the Star Spangled Banner. It's the way you learned in school, so that everyone could sing along. Every public performance of the Star Spangled Banner is like when you get the new organist at church who insists on using some alternate melody to a well known hymn. The congregation is left hanging and they just stop singing.