Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Well when it comes to the national anthem they shouldn't be able to do it.
    It drives me nuts and I will be glad when this trend finally dies, I'm not impressed when singers hit every note on the scale for each line they sing. It shows no skill just look at me and disrespect for what should be respected.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood 4ust View Post
    "That young lady is a national treasure as an opera singer and the picture of taste"

"Renee Fleming is one of the best American opera voices there is"

Thank you for both making and missing my point (as well as the Marine Corps Colonel's)

The National Anthem, (In My Opinion), is truly a "National Treasure" as was Francis Scott Key, and it's singing before events is to highlight this facts as well as instill the intended sense of pride and nationalism it celebrates. This wasn't about Renee Fleming's progressive interpretation and one would think that someone is the "profession" would realize that some things can't be improved on regardless to their talents.

"vocal gymnastics they were probably always in the score"

That were "probably"? Did you really say that?

Again I find these "renditions" repugnant just as I found the Coca Cola commercial that sang "America the Beautiful" in foreign languages. Apparently "assimilation" has lost just as much meaning as "tradition and nationalism".
    You and your CO need to take a laxative. Exactly what was "progressive" about Fleming's rendition of the anthem? How should it have been sung that you and your colonel wouldn't have whined about it? I thought she sang it beautifully as there wasn't a big production made of it unlike past renditions(I still cringe at Steven Tyler at the Indy 500 or worse yet, Rosanne Barr). It was opertic and best of all, understated.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    LOL - someone on a friend's Facebook page commented that she did a good performance and "she also had fewer interceptions than Denver". :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood 4ust View Post
    I received the following email from a brother in the VHCMA prior to the Super Bowl and right on cue last night the National Anthem was butchered once again. <snip>

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan .

"So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling. Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage. Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America , not you. And please remember, not everything has to be sung as a Negro spiritual. We're getting a little weary of that. Francis Scott Key does not need any help."
    Just to let you know, that email was not written by a Marine Colonel. It was written by someone in the Army and is an Internet meme that is several years old:

The national anthem isnt a pop song

It was the "pop star" thing that gave it away. Rene Fleming sings opera.
    Be Not Afraid.