Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If I were to entertain the slightest variation of our National Anthem this "minor" departure would be the extent of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284
    Under Capitalism, Man Exploits Man

Under Communism, It's the Other Way Around

Power CUer
    That settles it only Sophia Nadder may ever sing it in public. Shes a cute local girl who blows everyone away with her big voice out of a little kid. Shes on you tube if youre interested.
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I had never heard of Renee Fleming. Great dress and the performance wasn't the worst I have ever endured. Now that I have said something nice:

What would be wrong with singing the national anthem correctly? Do singers in other countries feel the need to hold short notes, warble at the top, etc….?

There is a proper way of singing the Star Spangled Banner. It's the way you learned in school, so that everyone could sing along. Every public performance of the Star Spangled Banner is like when you get the new organist at church who insists on using some alternate melody to a well known hymn. The congregation is left hanging and they just stop singing.
    I like Renee Fleming because she's one of the only American opera singers who can sing in Czeck, and my favorite opera is Dvorak's Russalke.

Power CUer
    You're in luck - "Rusalka" is the Met broadcast this Saturday afternoon. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

the National Anthem is written in 3/4 time (the official DOD version, at any rate -- God only knows what those so-called vocalists that normally butcher the Anthem sing it in and I'm pretty sure THEY don't have a clue either). The rendition that Fleming sang last night was written partially in 4/4 time (the introduction and first strain, which is repeated) and the rest in 3/4. The meter is a big deal if you're on autopilot and don't count (the vocalists from the premier military bands were definitely focused on the meter) because you can hose up and look like an idiot. Who wants to hose up the National Anthem (besides fat-ass Rosie, that is)?

I had the very real sense that the key she sang it in was pitched lower than was customary for her. She is a soprano, not a mezzo-soprano, and while her voice is rich enough in that tessitura, it seemed a little low for her.

All in all, I give her two thumbs up. While the arrangement wasn't completely vanilla, it was tasteful and reserved enough to give deference to the Nation (which is what's being honored when the Anthem is sung -- something that most vocalists forget), while being inspirational.
    U.S. Army, Retired

At least they didn't blackify it like they do when they get a black person to sing it.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    At least they didn't blackify it like they do when they get a black person to sing it.
    Watch American Idol sometime, the whites are out warbling the blacks now, even some country singers are doing it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Watch American Idol sometime, the whites are out warbling the blacks now, even some country singers are doing it.
    You mean like this?

U.S. Army, Retired

Watch American Idol sometime, the whites are out warbling the blacks now, even some so-called, imitation country singers are doing it.

fixed.

btw - I agree with the OP premise. It should always be read as written. No rearrangements.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Well when it comes to the national anthem they shouldn't be able to do it.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly