1. #1 7 Huge Misconceptions About Communism (and Capitalism) 
    xchrom

www.democraticunderground.com/10024435332

7 Huge Misconceptions About Communism (and Capitalism)

1. Only communist economies rely on state violence.

Obviously, no private equity baron worth his weight in leveraged buyouts will ever part willingly with his fortune, and any attempt to achieve economic justice (like taxation) will encounter stiff opposition from the ownership class. But state violence (like taxation) is inherent in every set of property rights a government can conceivably adopt – including those that allowed the aforementioned hypothetical baron to amass said fortune.

***SNIP

2. Capitalist economies are based on free exchange.

The mirror-image of the “oppressive communism” myth is the “liberatory capitalism” one. The idea that we’re all going around making free choices all the time in an abundant market where everyone’s needs get met is patently belied by the lived experience of hundreds of millions of people. Most find ourselves constantly stuck between competing pressures and therefore stressed out, exhausted, lonely, and in search of meaning. — as though we’re not in control of our lives.

3. Communism killed 110 million* people for resisting dispossession.

*The number cited is as consistent as it is rooted in sound research; i.e., not.

Greg Gutfeld, one of the hosts of Fox News’ “The Five” and a historical scholar of zero renown, recently advanced the position that “only the threat of death can prop up a left-wing dream, because no one in their right mind would volunteer for this crap. Hence, 110 million dead.” In declaring this, Gutfeld and his ilk insult the suffering of the millions of people who died under Stalin, Mao, and other 20th Century Communist dictators. Making up a big-sounding number of people and chalking their deaths up to some abstract “communism” is no way to enact a humanistic commitment to victims of human rights atrocities.

***SNIP

4. Capitalist governments don’t commit human rights atrocities.

Whatever one’s assessment of the crimes committed by Communist leaders, it is unwise for capitalism’s cheerleaders to play the body-count game, because if people like me have to account for the gulag and the Great Sparrow campaign, they’ll have to account for the slave trade, indigenous extermination, “ Late Victorian Holocausts” and every war, genocide andmassacre carried out by the US and its proxies in the effort to defeat communism. Since the pro-capitalist set cares so deeply for the suffering of the Russian and Chinese masses, perhaps they’ll even want to account for the millions of deaths resulting from those countries’ transitions to capitalism.

They all talk about how benevolent Communism is when strangely enough they all choose to live here under the detestable capitalist system. I guess to these trust funded fuckups being a Communist means wearing a hammer and sickle tee shirt, a beret and bonging out to Rage Against the Machine. I cannot for the life of me see how they can admire a political ideology that has so little regard for human life that you could be burned alive as fuel in a furnace if that's what the State required at the time.
    Last edited by Jim54; 02-03-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~

Fabulous Poster
    A couple of weeks ago my nephew was celebrating the possibility that plastic grocery bags would be banned. I pointed out to him that he has always had the option of using cloth bags to carry his groceries. In another discussion I pointed out that if he wants to pay twice as much for gasoline to "do something about Global Warming" that he is already free to do so: each time he fills his tank he can send a check for an equal amount to Evo Morales.

So it is with communism in the US. You can be as much of a communist in the US as you can in Cuba or China. You get together with other communists and create a commune; whether it's a collective farm or a collective factory, or a collective store. People in San Francisco do the last two all the time.

What some seem to object to is that communism is voluntary in the US. Rather like using cloth grocery bags.

Big on rhetoric, low on substance...especially that no. 3, which disputes a number their opposition puts forward without providing a tangible alternative number.

DU is a great place to post a list of misconceptions, I have to grant that, I can hardly think of a place on the internet where there are more of them in evidence every day of the week.

and any attempt to achieve economic justice (like taxation)
    Wow, this is the kind of drivel I expect from Hai...
    Taxes are not "economic justice". they are paid to keep the government (which produces nothing) running... PERIOD.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Communism is a lie used to bring people under subjection, once the people are under control an all powerful dictator takes power and any fair redistribution of wealth and property use is soon forgotten and the people become slaves to the government. I can think of no true exceptions where an actual communist government is the long term result.

Communism is a carrot.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

1. Know he difference between taxes and violence, stupid.
    Taxes are the treat of force if you do not obey.
    Violence is when they stick you up against a wall and shot you.
    You know, what you have fantasies about doing to anyone who disagrees with you every night.

2. In Communist states, people are cold, hungry and afraid ... all the time.

3. You sound like a Holocaust denier.

4. Jefferson said " Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
    Stalin said " Its better that an innocent dies, then allow an enemy to remain alive."

5. You're just another dickhead who see himself as the next ruling class over the American people; and I bet have
    an enemies list all drawn up and everything.
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 02-04-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.