Star Member IdaBriggs (7,640 posts)
What would happen if there was an App to tell you who was carrying a gun near you?
Last edited Thu Feb 6, 2014, 01:24 PM - Edit history (1)
Would this be a privacy violation or a useful thing?
ON EDIT: Does your opinion change if it identifies hand guns versus hunting rifles (and can be put in "sleep mode" when appropriate)?Star Member calimary (33,052 posts)
6. I might want to get one.
Just to know which end of the room to stay away from.Cleita (68,423 posts)
16. Whose rights? Their rights to carry a gun or my right to not be
shot by knowing there is a person close by carrying a gun?
I think it could be done, maybe one that detects metal. That way you would know if some one is carrying a knife as well. It would have to be refined to point out weapon type metals, maybe by the shape.Star Member hunter (18,372 posts)
21. Gangsters would know who to mug when they needed a gun.
Beats breaking into the house with the "Forget the Dog, Beware of Owner" sign on the front gate.Cleita (68,423 posts)
31. You just destroyed the gun ownership excuse of needing firearms
for protection. If you can't protect yourself from a mugging, the whole premise falls apart.
FOTFLMHOileus (10,233 posts)
33. Open Carry would become default mode.Star Member onehandle (39,658 posts)
35. Eventually, all weapons sold will contain identification chips.
If anyone thinks otherwise, they are fooling themselves.
Of course by then, sensible, but perceived as crushing by gun nuts, gun control laws will be in place.
As the country crowds and bluifies, sanity will return, destroying this age of white power centered GOPNRAteahadism.Star Member Hoyt (15,236 posts)
41. I think chips in a gun are a good idea. Folks have the right to know a gun toting yahoo is nearby.sked14 (236 posts)
46. Folks have the right to know a gun toting yahoo is nearby.
What right would that be?Cleita (68,423 posts)
85. It's in the Declaration of Independence.
the right to health, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The Constitution is not the only document our government is based on.bravenak (2,295 posts)
67. I'm paranoid enough already without knowing.
Knowing would stress me out too much. I just assume everybody is packing up here.It takes 71 comments to point out this:upaloopa (2,923 posts)
70. How about an app for gun nuts to tell them
people around him/her don't want fucking guns near them?
Then the gun nuts would have to face the fact that their anti social behavior isn't wanted.
YarnAddict (458 posts)
71. Concealed carry people would love it
The bad guys would know who not to mess with. The rest of us would hate it. It would be like having a target painted on us.