Hybrid View

1. #1 Girl Sumo Wrestler Enjoys Sport. (You Bet We Have The Pic.) 
    Sumo schoolgirl hopes for glory at world championships

A diet of Weetabix and lasagne is credited with helping Samantha-Jane Stacey maintain the sturdy frame required for the sport

Photo: BARCROFT MEDIA

A 14-year-old schoolgirl who weighs 20st is aiming for sporting glory, as she takes part in the Sumo world championships.

By Chris Irvine
    Last Updated: 10:25AM BST 07 Oct 2008

Samantha-Jane Stacey, is Australia's strongest medal hope at the world championships in Estonia next month.

She began Sumo training two years ago after previous experience of wrestling and will compete in the junior women's heavyweight division.

A diet of Weetabix and lasagne is credited with helping her maintain the sturdy frame required for the sport.

However she dismissed suggestions that Sumo is all about bulk.

"I love it because it's a physical, body-contact sport but you've also got to use your brain and have mental tactics." she said.

"It's a perfect sport for girls because you have to think on your feet."
    What is Weetbix anyway? Iit sounds like something Scout would eat if we ran out of real dog food.

Telegraph

Weetabix is a breakfast cereal, it doesn't tatste unpleasant but has a peturbing texture.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Thank you. I was having a fat day. Not so much now.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

My morning eggs, toast and coffee just came up in my throat. Nasty. Bad Mommie. :mad:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Strange "sport" I guess I just don't get it.

Slap fat and push the other guy out of the circle kinda like walruses on the beach. Seems goofy.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Witness it - in Japan - you’ll be stunned.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post

Slap fat and push the other guy out of the circle kinda like walruses on the beach. Seems goofy.
    The moves are a lot like Judo, only there's a lot more "oompf" behind it.

Sumo wrestlers need to be bulky because they need the weight to compete with others.

Imagine a 120 lb. football tackle. He wouldn't do a very good job against a 250 lb. linebacker.