Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Bjork is arty and has some very good stuff, but it's appeal is narrow and will be short lived. I don't see how you can really compare the two, but being as objective as possible, a music artist who not only sets the pop culture trends in two different decades, but continues to have appeal in her third decade as Madonna suggests she is the better "artist".
    Or that she's the more commercial one. Assuming that popularity equals quality is isn't necessarily valid. The obvious example is Barry Manilow, who writes the songs that make the whole world cringe, but he's outsold and outlasted a lot of acts that were clearly better.

Regardless, this isn't about Madonna's artistic value or Bjork's (or any other poptart's), it's about how Madonna, whose career is on the downward slide, is using political controversy to get attention that she can no longer command through her creative projects.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Or that she's the more commercial one. Assuming that popularity equals quality is isn't necessarily valid. The obvious example is Barry Manilow, who writes the songs that make the whole world cringe, but he's outsold and outlasted a lot of acts that were clearly better.

Regardless, this isn't about Madonna's artistic value or Bjork's (or any other poptart's), it's about how Madonna, whose career is on the downward slide, is using political controversy to get attention that she can no longer command through her creative projects.
    It is commercial...true, but Manilow is in Vegas. He can't put an LP (showing my age) in the top 10 or create any new music even resembling something fresh.

Madonna simply thrives on controversy. Your point has merit in that I would not be surprised if her latest stunt isn't to generate headlines she can't achieve musically
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    It is commercial...true, but Manilow is in Vegas. He can't put an LP (showing my age) in the top 10 or create any new music even resembling something fresh.

Madonna simply thrives on controversy. Your point has merit in that I would not be surprised if her latest stunt isn't to generate headlines she can't achieve musically
    At least you didn't say 8-track. :D

Madonna is about ten years away from being where Manilow is now, in that she will soon be a niche act. Her appeal is almost entirely among people who came of age when she was innovating, and I don't see her appealing much to new fans. Can't you see her playing Vegas with a bunch of aging drag queens vogueing behind her as her audience sips the metamucil?
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Sonnabend
    Isnt Bjork what the Swedish Chef says every week?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    In reruns, yeah. :D
    --Odysseus

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Just because you're an uncultured buffoon doesn't mean you should show it.

Bjork pwns your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Just because you're an uncultured buffoon doesn't mean you should show it.
    Since when is Bjork considered high culture? You keep assuming that anyone who doesn't share your taste in music, politics or pretty much anything else is lacking in sophistication. In fact, a lot of your musical choices are pretty pretentious, and most of us have grown past the need to validate ourselves through ostentatious displays of loyalty to pop brand names that will be forgotten in a few years. I find Bjork to be an overblown faux-artiste who has little to say, and since my hearing is confined to the normal human range, her atonal screechings leave me pretty cold. Frankly, she's another example of a celebrity who is trying too hard to shock, rather than just producing good music.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Bjork pwns your brain.
    That would explain why he isn't using it.
    --Odysseus

Do you think Madonna has ever said, "Hey, you wouldn't believe who I bjorked last night"?

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Since when is Bjork considered high culture? You keep assuming that anyone who doesn't share your taste in music, politics or pretty much anything else is lacking in sophistication. In fact, a lot of your musical choices are pretty pretentious, and most of us have grown past the need to validate ourselves through ostentatious displays of loyalty to pop brand names that will be forgotten in a few years. I find Bjork to be an overblown faux-artiste who has little to say, and since my hearing is confined to the normal human range, her atonal screechings leave me pretty cold. Frankly, she's another example of a celebrity who is trying too hard to shock, rather than just producing good music.

That would explain why he isn't using it.
    Yeah its OK to not like Bjork, but you have to be living in a submarine to not even know of her.