Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 The Rights Heterosexual People Get That Gay People Don't Get 
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,058
    Since our resident libs refuse to answer my Dome thread I decided to post this subject for discussion here. The question is, what rights do heterosexual people get that gays do not get. Please list those rights here and in case the libs want to post anything about marriage, please remember that marriage is not a right enumerated in our national or any state Constitution. Marriage is no more a right than being Bar Mitzvah'd.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tree rats are watching you
    Posts
    7,030
    Do you expect an honest answer?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

    We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

    R.I.P. Crockspot
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,577
    If marriage and all the benefits that derive from it are off the table as arguments....

    Marriage is where it is at-life insurance, medical decisions, taxes, property and estate issues, etc. Having the law recognize a relationship is important. I always laugh when someone proposes "civil unions" for gays-a civil union is a marriage, under law, just with a different name. When that couple have a ceremony at a UCC or UU church, do you really think they are going to call it a "Civil Union Ceremony"?

    Every state is different as far as adoption is concerned, but in Michigan, single people can adopt, regardless of sexual orientation, but the only way two adults can adopt a child is if they are legally married, therefore, only hetero married couples can adopt as a couple.


    It does come down to adoption, though, for a lot of anti-gay marriage folk. The hetero and infertile don't want to compete with gay couples in the adoption market.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Do you expect an honest answer?
    I'm not expecting any answer. At least not an intellectually honest one.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,058
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If marriage and all the benefits that derive from it are off the table as arguments....

    Marriage is where it is at-life insurance, medical decisions, taxes, property and estate issues, etc. Having the law recognize a relationship is important. I always laugh when someone proposes "civil unions" for gays-a civil union is a marriage, under law, just with a different name. When that couple have a ceremony at a UCC or UU church, do you really think they are going to call it a "Civil Union Ceremony"?

    Every state is different as far as adoption is concerned, but in Michigan, single people can adopt, regardless of sexual orientation, but the only way two adults can adopt a child is if they are legally married, therefore, only hetero married couples can adopt as a couple.


    It does come down to adoption, though, for a lot of anti-gay marriage folk. The hetero and infertile don't want to compete with gay couples in the adoption market.
    Most states have domestic partnership laws. For example, if you're a state employee in NJ, you can put your "partner" on your health insurance, make them an emergency contact, and make them the beneficiary of your pension benefits and life insurance. Heterosexual couples don't have that option. As for adoption, you made my point. Unmarried hetero couples can't adopt either per your argument. Try again. And please provide proof of your last statement because as it stands, this is entirely your opinion and does not contain any basis of fact.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Heterosexual couples don't have that option.
    Exactly, I'm FORCED to get married if I want the same benefits as the gays.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,112
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Exactly, I'm FORCED to get married if I want the same benefits as the gays.
    Or you could give a knobber.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tree rats are watching you
    Posts
    7,030
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post


    It does come down to adoption, though, for a lot of anti-gay marriage folk. The hetero and infertile don't want to compete with gay couples in the adoption market.
    Whisky Tango Foxtrot????



    Take a step back and inhale some fresh air

    Adoption competition is the main reason for opposition of gay "marriage"?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

    We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

    R.I.P. Crockspot
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,577
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Most states have domestic partnership laws. For example, if you're a state employee in NJ, you can put your "partner" on your health insurance, make them an emergency contact, and make them the beneficiary of your pension benefits and life insurance. Heterosexual couples don't have that option. As for adoption, you made my point. Unmarried hetero couples can't adopt either per your argument. Try again. And please provide proof of your last statement because as it stands, this is entirely your opinion and does not contain any basis of fact.
    But that is exactly why I support gay marriage-I don't think hetero couples should be able to get benefits without marriage and I feel that gay couples should be able to get married.

    The whole shacking up thing has really irritated me, work-wise. When was a new worker, we cut our young adults (17-20) on independent living status off their stipend (except for college tuition money) if they moved in with their boyfriend or girlfriend (among other reasons, including marriage, enlisting in the military or Job Corps, moving back with their abusive parents, drug use, etc.). Now, we allow that, but still cut them off if they get married. As one of my kids said, "That's just plain f@#$ed".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    3,031
    What benefits are available to straights that aren't available to gays via contracts/wills?

    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •