Thread: I'm getting ill

1. #1 I'm getting ill 
    Survey: The best of the first ladies

(CNN) – The longest-serving first lady also outranks the others who have held the title in integrity, accomplishments and public image.

At least when it comes to a survey of historians and experts on what best epitomizes the characteristics of a first lady: Eleanor Roosevelt is their choice. These people need some oxygen.

Roosevelt’s legacy is followed by Abigail Adams. Jacqueline Kennedy is third, and Dolly Madison is fourth.

The Siena College Research Institute survey ranks first ladies based on 10 categories – from background, public image and integrity; to accomplishments and value to the country.

The study, conducted five times since 1982, adds Michelle Obama to the mix for the first time in fifth place, bumping Hillary Clinton down two spots from fourth to sixth - since the last time the survey was conducted.

Rounding out the top-10 list are Lady Bird Johnson, Betty Ford, Martha Washington and Rosalynn Carter.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Survey: The best of the first ladies

Eleanor Roosevelt is their choice.
    Another famous carpet cleaner.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Dolley Madison would be ranked higher if people learned more about her in school. She was a really cool First Lady. I read a bio for kids of her when I was a kid-they don't have as many of those kinds of books around, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Dolley Madison would be ranked higher if people learned more about her in school.
    That's what I was thinking when I read that. She puts the rest of them in the shade.

Dolley Madison would be ranked higher if people learned more about her in school. She was a really cool First Lady. I read a bio for kids of her when I was a kid-they don't have as many of those kinds of books around, these days.
    Considering that when the British set fire to the White House she got all of those famous paintings out, she's probably the most ballsey of them all. And it makes me sick that they put Hillary Clinton ahead of Laura Bush. Hillary Clinton did nothing but work toward her political agenda and career. This is the most idiotic statement if there ever was one but not surprising considering these "scholars" are nearly 100% leftists:

Scholars and experts rated Laura Bush, wife of former President George W. Bush, as the first lady who could have done more with her time at the White House.
    Throw in what Laura and W have been doing since leaving Washington and she leaves all of them in the dust. But I guess she should have tried to promote a healthy eating lifestyle while gorging herself on lobster every chance she got.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

WTH are you thinking???
    Children's books with historical value????
    Children reading????
    All children need to know about Dolly Madison these days, is that they make snack cakes!

</sarcasm off>

In all seriousness, though... I loved those kiddie-history books, too!
    The actually made early history understandable. More story, less dates!
    I wish I could locate a library of them!

BB
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by MstrBlue View Post

WTH are you thinking???
    Children's books with historical value????
    Children reading????
    All children need to know about Dolly Madison these days, is that they make snack cakes!

</sarcasm off>

In all seriousness, though... I loved those kiddie-history books, too!
    The actually made early history understandable. More story, less dates!
    I wish I could locate a library of them!

BB
    I should go downtown one of these days to John King books and see what they have. It's a 4 story old warehouse that is now a used book store in downtown Detroit. It's amazing. My sister found a children's illustrated version of Hans Brinker there that was very much like the one in the library when we were kids. I found a way out of print biography of Antonin D'Vorak there, and some awesome antique poetry books.

I remember our library had a whole series of biographies of prominent people in American history. The books were probably printed in the 60s, since we were reading them in the early 70s. They were written at about a 2nd-5th grade level. There were books about Dolley Madison, Abigal Adams, Juliet Gordon Low (GSA founder), Harriet Tubman, and other women. There were also books geared for boys about Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, etc. They were probably Children's Illustrated Library or something like that-I have an edition of Arabian Nights by that publisher from my childhood that is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I read that. She puts the rest of them in the shade.
    ... plus, she made really good mini-cakes and pastries. I've always been partial to her Zingers. Never understood how Twinkies rate higher in the polls.

Seriously though, seems I heard one time that Mary Todd Lincoln was related to Dolly Madison?