1. #1 CVSís Decision Isnít Really About Smoking 
    When CVS Caremark Corp. Chief Executive and President Larry Merlo announced that his drugstore chain would stop selling tobacco products, one of the first to respond was the president of the United States.

The speed of the presidentís statement indicates that CVSís decision was likely coordinated with the White House. Every day, countless business decisions are made without any comment from the White House. Something unusual was going on.

http://www.economics21.org/commentar...edium=referral

I don't buy my cigarettes at CVS very often. I usually buy them at either the gas station or the "discount tobacco" stores that are now also head shops, since we have medical marijuana in MI. They are cheaper at either of those two options, too.

I'm not too worried about availability. As long as the arabs own all the gas stations around here, we will be able to get cigarettes.

CVS, the No. 2 drug store chain, will give up $2 billion in revenues by halting sales of tobacco products.
    In other news, the White House announces CVS will be the primary prescription dispensary for Obamacare in 2014 and beyond...or something like that.

I hope they drive cigarette sales back to the Mob. Will probably knock $3 off the price of a pack.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    In other news, the White House announces CVS will be the primary prescription dispensary for Obamacare in 2014 and beyond...or something like that.

I hope they drive cigarette sales back to the Mob. Will probably knock $3 off the price of a pack.

Don't forget their walk in health clinics.

All the major health providers are trying to get in bed with the White House it's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

Don't forget their walk in health clinics.

All the major health providers are trying to get in bed with the White House it's stupid.

I think that's their major motivating factor. I also think it's smart for CVS to try to get the clinic thing going, business wise. I'm not sure I want to go to CVS for medical care, but they are pretty much everywhere and people who don't have transportation will likely utilize the services.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think that's their major motivating factor. I also think it's smart for CVS to try to get the clinic thing going, business wise. I'm not sure I want to go to CVS for medical care, but they are pretty much everywhere and people who don't have transportation will likely utilize the services.
    It's not only a transportation thing.

When your primary care provider can't see you for acute care due to being over booked for the next six weeks, going to a walk in clinic when you need an antibiotic seems like a good idea to me. They also charge less then most urgent care facilities. I wish my town had one of these clinics.