Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    In 15 months, the market has shed 1/3 of its value.
    You're not in the market either are you? If you were you'd be concerned about Barry's plans for capital gains and dividends.
    Be Not Afraid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You're not in the market either are you? If you were you'd be concerned about Barry's plans for capital gains and dividends.
    Not heavily in the US market, although I do have a bit invested in indexes and in, of course, 401ks! Money's in other places in the world. :D That doesn't negate the fact of my statement, however. And, since most are "in the market" through their 401ks, their investments will reflect that loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    We get it already. So, if you don't think investing your money is a good strategy for retirement, enlighten us with a better choice.
    Invest in resources that will facilitate the taking, legally and illegally, the natural resources of other sovereign countries.

We already have a toe-hold in the Middle East, a base of operations for doing so - so only a general draft is required to make those goals a reality. John McCain will have no choice but to facilitate this.

There are enough extremely educated and experienced folks in the armed services to be the leaders of the general grunts that will be looking for employment - with benefits and three squares a day to fill the lower pay grades.

So - investing in things like ammunition manufacturing, predator drones, ship yards and companies that make surveillance devices of all types would be a good bet - if it were my money.

The old American Dream is on its death-bed. Invest in destruction to remain comfortable. Osama is counting on it.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Not heavily in the US market, although I do have a bit invested in indexes and in, of course, 401ks! Money's in other places in the world. :D That doesn't negate the fact of my statement, however. And, since most are "in the market" through their 401ks, their investments will reflect that loss.
    I'll still take 60+ years of 10%+ return over anything you, LP or the government can offer me.

You don't even have to be a sophisticated investor to realize that you can manage your own money better than the government can.
    Be Not Afraid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Invest in resources that will facilitate the taking, legally and illegally, the natural resources of other sovereign countries.

We already have a toe-hold in the Middle East, a base of operations for doing so - so only a general draft is required to make those goals a reality. John McCain will have no choice but to facilitate this.

There are enough extremely educated and experienced folks in the armed services to be the leaders of the general grunts that will be looking for employment - with benefits and three squares a day to fill the lower pay grades.

So - investing in things like ammunition manufacturing, predator drones, ship yards and companies that make surveillance devices of all types would be a good bet - if it were my money.

The old American Dream is on its death-bed. Invest in destruction to remain comfortable. Osama is counting on it.
    Shit man. Did you miss the 80s? GE, CSC, CACI, Northrup-Grumann? We didn't start the fire! :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'll still take 60+ years of 10%+ return over anything you, LP or the government can offer me.

You don't even have to be a sophisticated investor to realize that you can manage your own money better than the government can.
    As usual, you and I agree completely. However, I see the storm coming based upon the last 8 years; you seem not to. But, somehow, I think we'll both survive. :D

LP, whether or not your reply is serious or not, it seems you've become pretty jaded and cynical. It might be a good idea for you to live abroad for awhile, like CW. With the prospects for Obama's election looking pretty good, I'd have thought you would be a little more upbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    The old American Dream is on its death-bed.
    You are absolutely correct.

The old American Dream used to be home ownership. That meant working hard, 10% down and having excellent credit.

Then one day somebody decided that hey, why can't everyone have a home? Where's mine? I got to get paid too. No money down, no credit and no way to make the monthly payments. Thanks for nothing.
    Be Not Afraid.

As usual, you and I agree completely.
    Whoa. Hold on there.

Recently you've been moving over to the dark side. And not the good dark side either.

In a couple more weeks you may be full-blown lib.

:D
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    LP, whether or not your reply is serious or not, it seems you've become pretty jaded and cynical.
    I'm dead serious and have been since I was 16. I'm 57 now. Buy a clue.
    Last edited by LogansPapa; 10-08-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)