Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sonnabend
    Not providing medical treatment for hepatitis victims = epidemic. In a closed community, as has been pointed out to you already, said epidemic would potentially kill hundreds. Including staff.

http://www.hepb.org/hepb/abc.htm

If this makes sense to someone, can you please explain it to me?
    Certainly: an untreated or undetected epidemic of hepatitis will move beyond the prison walls very shortly. Then you have the potential deaths of family, children..if the water is the contaminant then you have a vector which could spread the disease on a much wider scale.

I dont see why you have a problem with this making sense: anyone with half a brain and any knowledge of infectious diseases knows this already. The hard part is this: you will need to identify the carrier: whats called patient zero. That means every single person in that prison will need to be tested, their friends, family, the water sources checked, the entire food supply checked to ensure it is not the vector for the disease...get the drill?

By the way, you are assuming as you usually do that the disease will be carried by a prisoner. There is every chance the disease is actually carried by a staff member, a visitor, a food contractor, a maintenance staffer, anyone can be the source.

Basic common sense 101: You dont let an infectious disease go untreated.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 03-01-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Sonnabend
    If you think the state's motivation is the safety of the custody staff then you're fooling yourselves. The state could give 2 craps about us. If they did they wouldn't keep eliminating positions leaving us vulnerable.

Just curious.

What immunisations do you receive as part of your job? Screening? Vaccines? Health checks? OHAS training and facilities? Onsite health care?

If you receive all of the above, then they are concerned with your safety. Do they check the air cond systems regularly? They are protecting you from Legionella. Do they health screen inmates? They are protecting you from other diseases.

Incidentally, NJ, the biggest danger isnt from hepatitis, not by a long shot. Legionella (see above) and strains of TB that cant be treated via the triple regime (rifampicin, isoniazid and streptomycin)...your biggest danger, your biggest issue isnt from blood borne or fluid borne pathogens, it's airborne contagion that should scare the shit out of you. And again you are assuming that the inmates are the issue and the sole problem.

You are dead wrong by a huge margin.

ANYONE you come in contact with may be a carrier. Family, friends, visitors.....other staff...other guards.....
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 03-02-2014 at 11:25 PM.

While one can't just let a prisoner die of a treatable disease, there should be SOMEthing they can do to earn the treatment: extra time on the chain gang or something like it once they get well.

It sounds like to me the best way to get the best medical care, at the least cost, is to either quit your job or go to prison.

The problem with public health threats is that germs don't know who is responsible and who isn't. Take California: our vast illegal workforce sends their children to public schools. Legal citizens' taxpayer dollars go to pay for the children of these lawbreakers to get immunized. Morally speaking, this is reprehensible, but if you don't immunize these kids, you can say hello to TB, rubella, whooping cough, and lots of other fun things showing up in students and teaching staff.

Sonnabend
    While one can't just let a prisoner die of a treatable disease, there should be SOMEthing they can do to earn the treatment: extra time on the chain gang or something like it once they get well.
    They dont need to "earn" treatment they have a right to.

Duty of care.

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    What people don't know about prison can fill volumes. Did you know inmates get paid to be in jail? Not much. $1.30 per day and all they have to do to get it is convert oxygen into carbon dioxide, which they can use to buy goodies from the commissary. And those goodies are all crap and up until a year ago they could use this to buy cigarettes. I'll never forget when I was a communications operator this inmate came to the facility and came to the window where I was at asking about his respiratory meds. He was told to wait on the wall. As he was waiting, he was smoking. Same in my area now. I work in the prison hospital and it used to make me laugh that these dirtbags who were on oxygen would go out into the yard to smoke and administration did nothing about it. It just angers me that prison inmates get treated better than the elderly who actually accomplished something in their life.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Every year we receive some kind of training and today I had my yearly blood born pathogen training dealing with the different diseases inmates come in with or contract while here. Found out that inmates with hepatitis or HIV are getting treatments that cost about $80K per inmate. They pay nothing. However, if you're not a prison scumbag, you have to find a way to pay for this either through cash or insurance which would be a fortune. If this makes sense to someone, can you please explain it to me?
    I don't think it makes sense, but you wouldn't like my solution to the problem.

Sonnabend
    What people don't know about prison can fill volumes. Did you know inmates get paid to be in jail? Not much. $1.30 per day and all they have to do to get it is convert oxygen into carbon dioxide, which they can use to buy goodies from the commissary. And those goodies are all crap and up until a year ago they could use this to buy cigarettes. I'll never forget when I was a communications operator this inmate came to the facility and came to the window where I was at asking about his respiratory meds. He was told to wait on the wall. As he was waiting, he was smoking. Same in my area now. I work in the prison hospital and it used to make me laugh that these dirtbags who were on oxygen would go out into the yard to smoke and administration did nothing about it. It just angers me that prison inmates get treated better than the elderly who actually accomplished something in their life.
    The situation you describe was a common occurrence and still is today. Outside of prison. Oops. The people in prison also accomplished a lot in their lives, and still will after they leave prison. Their lives arent over...you seem to thnk that once they are in prison, to all intents and purposes their lives are over. Where do you get this idea from ?

Not everyone in there is a lifer, not everyone is a killer, or a rapist, or a violent felon.

They are not "treated better" - they are treated humanely. But you knew that. I have a serious question to ask you: lets say for arguments sake that they dont pay inmates. And the day of release you throw them out. No food, no money, no transport, no clothes worth wearing, no way to get from the prison to anywhere.

Where do they go? How do they live? How do they eat?

What is it you think a starving man or woman will do to achieve those basic needs? Hm? Steal food? And get arrested again and sent back to jail.

Do you EVER think anything through to its logical conclusion? Or is this all a kneejerk reaction because you either a/ hate where you work or b/ think that inmates in a prison (incluidng the ones serving short sentences) should be denied the minimal basics of life? They are in prison, not as if they can go out and get a job.

Seriously: I ask you: what would you do differently? Deny basic medical care? Deny food? Deny water unless they "earn it"? The way you carry on, you are sounding like the kind of person who is okay with the idea of throwing someone into a cell and forgetting they even exist. Or do what old jails used to do and organise arenas where prisoners fought to the death to be able to eat? I also want to know whether or not you have considered changing jobs and going elsewehere..all I see in you is hate, contempt and disinterest...you work in a hospital with that attitude? The way you sound, I'd think a change of career would be in order.

What is your "ideal" where prison is concerned? Enquiring minds woud like to know.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 03-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Obviously, America is NOT North Korea or Iran, prisoners are not allowed to die or killed off. They need to be treated as anyone else would be.