Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sonnabend
    Obviously, America is NOT North Korea or Iran, prisoners are not allowed to die or killed off. They need to be treated as anyone else would be.
    Noted and agreed.

Now lets se what NJ thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Not everyone in there is a lifer, not everyone is a killer, or a rapist, or a violent felon.
    Very, very few aren't violent, Sonna. Contrary to popular myth, the number of people who are in a prison (not a jail, a prison) in the United States who are actually non-violent offenders can probably be counted without taking off your shoes. Shoplifters do not wind up in prison. Guys who have a dimebag on them do not wind up in prison, no matter how much the stoner lobby tries to claim that they do. Embezzlers seldom wind up in prison, and when they do, it's "club fed," not Ossening or Joliet.

Someone who is in prison under the aegis of "shoplifting" or some such got there because they did something much, MUCH worse, and they either got a plea bargain for a lower charge or the prosecutor charged what they could and got a maximum sentence that far exceeds what any "normal" criminal would for such a charge. In most of these latter cases, the criminal in question is a known entity to prosecutors and they haven't made anything else stick in the past, even though it is known that they have done some seriously nasty things. You may disagree with such a system, and I would be somewhat inclined to agree with you on that point, but that does not change the fact that people who are in prison for extended lengths of time are there because they have done some pretty seriously bad shit, and not just because they were otherwise law-abiding citizens who pocketed a candy bar or whatever.

They are not "treated better" - they are treated humanely. But you knew that. I have a serious question to ask you: lets say for arguments sake that they dont pay inmates. And the day of release you throw them out. No food, no money, no transport, no clothes worth wearing, no way to get from the prison to anywhere.
    Where do they go? How do they live? How do they eat?

What is it you think a starving man or woman will do to achieve those basic needs? Hm? Steal food? And get arrested again and sent back to jail.
    Sonna, people aren't just turned loose from prison in the United States. This movie scene of someone just walking out to the prison gates, waving to the guards, and taking off in a taxi doesn't actually happen. EVERYONE who is released from any prison sentence, or even just a jail stay more than just a few weeks, goes through an extensive job-placement and housing-placement system.

Pretty much the worst thing anyone can do is just hand some ex-con some cash and shut the prison gate behind them. The good news is that never really happens here.

Do you EVER think anything through to its logical conclusion? Or is this all a kneejerk reaction because you either a/ hate where you work or b/ think that inmates in a prison (incluidng the ones serving short sentences) should be denied the minimal basics of life? They are in prison, not as if they can go out and get a job.

Seriously: I ask you: what would you do differently? Deny basic medical care? Deny food? Deny water unless they "earn it"? The way you carry on, you are sounding like the kind of person who is okay with the idea of throwing someone into a cell and forgetting they even exist. Or do what old jails used to do and organise arenas where prisoners fought to the death to be able to eat? I also want to know whether or not you have considered changing jobs and going elsewehere..all I see in you is hate, contempt and disinterest...you work in a hospital with that attitude? The way you sound, I'd think a change of career would be in order.

What is your "ideal" where prison is concerned? Enquiring minds woud like to know.
    Obviously I'm not NJ, but I can tell you exactly what I would do:

• All television stops. Tomorrow. No more cable, no broadcast television, no radios, no internet. If inmates want to subscribe to a newspaper, they may do so out of their commissary account. Each newspaper will be inspected, of course, and censored. Genuine newspapers only; no subscribing to Playboy "for the articles."
    • All inmates will get an education whether they like it or not. No inmate will be released if he/she does not possess at least a GED, if they have not graduated from high school.
    • All inmates will master at least one skill. Once they have mastered one skill, they will move on and master another skill. No matter who they are when they go in, by the time they leave, they will be accomplished welders, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. No complaining that they are unskilled and unable to get a job when they leave prison: they will be skilled in at least one trade, if not more, and they will have at least a high school education.
    • Inmates will read valid literature. This shall be their sole form of entertainment. They may read religious texts, classical literature, and technical manuals, as well as textbooks, of course.
    • Inmates will engage in manual labor for at least six hours per day. They will perform community service first (pick up trash on the highway, shovel snow off of sidewalks, mow grass in public areas, etc.) When that has been exhausted, they will perform manual labor for those who are willing to hire out inmates to perform labor that does not directly contact the public. IOW, they may dig a ditch, but they may not work at McDonald's. They will be paid minimum wage (more if they can warrant it), and that money will go into an escrow account to pay for fines, court costs, and restitution/civil suit losses to their victims. After those have been paid off, then the monies will be used to pay for the cost of the inmate's incarceration, and then that money will be saved in an interest-bearing account to be released to the inmate in the form of a trust after their release from prison. These monies may be used to establish a reasonable wardrobe, establish housing, etc.
    • Inmates will not engage in things such as call center work where they have any access to any sort of confidential or financial information.
    • If someone warrants maximum security, then they don't get to do any sort of anything outside the walls of the prison unless they are literally part of a chain gang, guarded by a lot of people with heavy weaponry.
    • If someone warrants supermax security, then pretty much nothing changes AFAIC: 23 hours a day in the cell, one hour per day of indirect sunlight, no entertainment whatsoever other than religious texts, no communication with anyone.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Very, very few aren't violent, Sonna. Contrary to popular myth, the number of people who are in a prison (not a jail, a prison) in the United States who are actually non-violent offenders can probably be counted without taking off your shoes. Shoplifters do not wind up in prison. Guys who have a dimebag on them do not wind up in prison, no matter how much the stoner lobby tries to claim that they do. Embezzlers seldom wind up in prison, and when they do, it's "club fed," not Ossening or Joliet.

Someone who is in prison under the aegis of "shoplifting" or some such got there because they did something much, MUCH worse, and they either got a plea bargain for a lower charge or the prosecutor charged what they could and got a maximum sentence that far exceeds what any "normal" criminal would for such a charge. In most of these latter cases, the criminal in question is a known entity to prosecutors and they haven't made anything else stick in the past, even though it is known that they have done some seriously nasty things. You may disagree with such a system, and I would be somewhat inclined to agree with you on that point, but that does not change the fact that people who are in prison for extended lengths of time are there because they have done some pretty seriously bad shit, and not just because they were otherwise law-abiding citizens who pocketed a candy bar or whatever.

Sonna, people aren't just turned loose from prison in the United States. This movie scene of someone just walking out to the prison gates, waving to the guards, and taking off in a taxi doesn't actually happen. EVERYONE who is released from any prison sentence, or even just a jail stay more than just a few weeks, goes through an extensive job-placement and housing-placement system.

Pretty much the worst thing anyone can do is just hand some ex-con some cash and shut the prison gate behind them. The good news is that never really happens here.

• All television stops. Tomorrow. No more cable, no broadcast television, no radios, no internet. If inmates want to subscribe to a newspaper, they may do so out of their commissary account. Each newspaper will be inspected, of course, and censored. Genuine newspapers only; no subscribing to Playboy "for the articles."
    • All inmates will get an education whether they like it or not. No inmate will be released if he/she does not possess at least a GED, if they have not graduated from high school.
    • All inmates will master at least one skill. Once they have mastered one skill, they will move on and master another skill. No matter who they are when they go in, by the time they leave, they will be accomplished welders, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. No complaining that they are unskilled and unable to get a job when they leave prison: they will be skilled in at least one trade, if not more, and they will have at least a high school education.
    • Inmates will read valid literature. This shall be their sole form of entertainment. They may read religious texts, classical literature, and technical manuals, as well as textbooks, of course.
    • Inmates will engage in manual labor for at least six hours per day. They will perform community service first (pick up trash on the highway, shovel snow off of sidewalks, mow grass in public areas, etc.) When that has been exhausted, they will perform manual labor for those who are willing to hire out inmates to perform labor that does not directly contact the public. IOW, they may dig a ditch, but they may not work at McDonald's. They will be paid minimum wage (more if they can warrant it), and that money will go into an escrow account to pay for fines, court costs, and restitution/civil suit losses to their victims. After those have been paid off, then the monies will be used to pay for the cost of the inmate's incarceration, and then that money will be saved in an interest-bearing account to be released to the inmate in the form of a trust after their release from prison. These monies may be used to establish a reasonable wardrobe, establish housing, etc.
    • Inmates will not engage in things such as call center work where they have any access to any sort of confidential or financial information.
    • If someone warrants maximum security, then they don't get to do any sort of anything outside the walls of the prison unless they are literally part of a chain gang, guarded by a lot of people with heavy weaponry.
    • If someone warrants supermax security, then pretty much nothing changes AFAIC: 23 hours a day in the cell, one hour per day of indirect sunlight, no entertainment whatsoever other than religious texts, no communication with anyone.

Sonnabend
    Adam : try not to die of shock: but: thank you.

I will read through your reply and intend spending some time researching the subject more. Obviously, NJ works in max security, so the issue of non violent offendors would be more apt to medium or low security prisons.

One thing I do disagree with you on: No cable TV = no news = no. Whilst they dont need "entertainment" channels, current news and world events is, IMO an essential. They may be in prison, but there is no need to deny them knowledge of what is going on in their country and outside. If a disaster hits and they have family in those areas, they do have a right to know. When / if they are released, knowing how the world has changed does no harm and will help them at least reintegrate into the "world".

If someone warrants maximum security, then they don't get to do any sort of anything outside the walls of the prison unless they are literally part of a chain gang, guarded by a lot of people with heavy weaponry.
    Sorry but I dont agree with this. Regardless of supermax or whatever, contact with family should be and must be maintained. You cannot cut someone off like this for years and then not expect some MAJOR psychiatric issues down the line. I accept what supermax is, but some give and take must be provided..example, man comes out of prison to find his entire family dead, family members dead....that news will land on them like a brick wall...and may provoke violent reaction when they learn this news, extreme isolation has a huge number of perils...mental illness, suicide...no. The line has to be drawn, if you will forgive me, between punishment, and "cruel and unusual punishment". No one, including me, disagrees that supermax is for the worst of the worst..but at that same time, punishment that leads to an inmate suicide is tantamount to a death sentence.

In any case this wont work for the simple reason, they maintain a right to legal counsel. They cannot be denied their right to legal representation. Same with religious stadff, if thery profess a wish to see a chaplain, that also cannot be denied them.

They may be the barbarians, the monsters...we dont need to be one as well. Punishment, no matter how severe, however merited, however necessary....should also be leavened with compassion. I am no libtard nor a leftist..I simply say that there is a line between punishment and justice.

Again, thank you for a well reasoned and well written reply.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 03-04-2014 at 07:37 AM.

The problem is they don't watch the news while in jail or prison. Many do have newspaper subscriptions and that should take care of their needs (if they have one) for current events.

Television does help pass the time and keeps them occupied but fights over the television are very common in group settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Inmate Lover/Cop Hater
    Do you EVER think anything through to its logical conclusion? Or is this all a kneejerk reaction because you either a/ hate where you work or b/ think that inmates in a prison (incluidng the ones serving short sentences) should be denied the minimal basics of life? They are in prison, not as if they can go out and get a job.

Seriously: I ask you: what would you do differently? Deny basic medical care? Deny food? Deny water unless they "earn it"? The way you carry on, you are sounding like the kind of person who is okay with the idea of throwing someone into a cell and forgetting they even exist. Or do what old jails used to do and organise arenas where prisoners fought to the death to be able to eat? I also want to know whether or not you have considered changing jobs and going elsewehere..all I see in you is hate, contempt and disinterest...you work in a hospital with that attitude? The way you sound, I'd think a change of career would be in order.

What is your "ideal" where prison is concerned? Enquiring minds woud like to know.
    You know, I used to think you were an asshole but now I'm convinced of it. Where in anything I've ever said about my job implies that they shouldn't be fed or given water? I'll help you: NEVER. However, what a criminal loving liberal like yourself doesn't seem to understand is that thanks to your ilk's policies, prison is not prison. It's a vacation. Why do you think recidivism is so high in this country? Because prison is nothing to be feared. It's a place to go relax, get treatment for what ails you, including sex reassignment procedures(I'm not making this up) etc. But I'll play your little "progressive" game. Here's what I believe prison should be:

1: Basic medical care. Nothing more than the basics for what is wrong with you which includes physical therapy, chemo, or whatever. However, it isn't going to be free. You are going to make some kind of restitution. If you're able to work, you're going to work it off. If you have the means to pay for the treatments then you're going to pay for it. Only if you're a complete invalid are you excused. If you can function at all, you can work even if it's being a runner or helping out in the school or helping with invalid inmates like helping them with their needs.

2: As we do at my jail, when you arrive, you get a ditty bag containing 2 rolls of toilet paper, a towel, wash cloth, face towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, 2 bars soap, shampoo, 16oz cup, flimsy plastic fork and spoon, flexipen to write with. This is your starter kit. You will also get 3 sets of clothes(pants, shirts, socks, under garments). As we do in our intake, you are afforded an opportunity to order some basic stuff and you're fronted a $25 loan. With this you can order extra soap if you desire, other toiletries and even extra undergarments. Of course you're going to have to work for anything else.

3: Your meals will consist of a balanced diet and since this is a government operation it will acquiesce to the FDA's food pyramid. Everyone gets the same thing to eat all 3 meals. If you have a genuine food allergy then accommodations will be made. Just to satisfy any religious issues, a Rabbi and Imam will go through food production(I'll get to this later) and bless the food while it's being prepared. We already don't serve anything with pork in it so that isn't an issue. However, if your problem is you don't like fish then come Friday dinner, you're beat. You don't like what's being served, don't eat it. You will get coffee in the morning along with milk. The rest of the day you're drinking water from the faucet in your cell.

4: When you first get to prison, you're on maximum lockdown. 23 hours a day. 1 hour of recreation per day(in reality, according to the NJ Administrative Code called 10A inmates are to be afforded a minimum of 5 hours per week). You are a maximum security inmate. you have to earn your way into medium, gang minimum(don't ask me why they call it this), and minimum. But if you go to these less secure areas and screw up, you go back to maximum, square 1. Assaut's on staff gets you maximum for your entire bid. Zero tolerance. The only television you get is in the unit dayroom and the only channel you get is a news channel. Since I get to pick, it's going to be Fox News. You can get newspapers, magazines(only approved magazines), and books but these have to be ordered and paid for by family. You're family can't afford it there's always the library which you will have access to but only by appointment. The only time you are out of your cell is for school(if you so choose), medical or psych appointments or something similar. Showers will be every other day if you choose. If you refuse your shower for that day, you're beat until the next shower day. If you need to shave, you will get the razor from the officer and you will have to return it after use.

5: Entertainment. Aside from the above, you can have a personal radio which you can order off of commissary. No radios that can blast through the tier are allowed. No televisions in your cell. As was stated, the only TV is in the unit dayroom. Once you earn your way to a less secure status, then you will have the opportunity to purchase a TV(just to let you all know, this isn't any TV. It is a clear case TV for obvious reasons). You can tap into the prison cable system but it feeds off of an aerial system meaning it's free TV and you'll only be getting local channels.

6: Work. You will be required to work whether it is in the prison industries building(we have a huge building that contains food production, meat shop, produce shop, ODR/inmate cafeteria, print shop, sign shop, shoe shop, clothing shop, as well as warehouses for the goods produced. Other prisons have similar areas like a dairy farm), hospital, school, maintenance, janitorial, ect. You can also go to school. This will count as work. If you don't have a high school diploma, you will be required to get one through the school and you can't sign up for one of the trade schools without it. This is not an option. You can also take classes to earn college credits. Showing you what kind of a nice guy I am, this will be at no charge. It will be up to you to get those credits transferred to a college, state college of course. This is how you will earn money for commissary items and such. Of course the more you do, the more you make. However, you will no longer get paid simply for breathing. A pay book will be kept and if you miss a day, you're docked. Plain and simple. You will also be given some kind of job training from a variety of vocations. If you're a business owner on the outside(we have several) you are exempt from training, however, your expertise will be used to train other inmates.

7: As I said, you'll start at maximum. You have to earn your way to the less secure areas. Any violations will cost you points and if you get enough points, you lose status. Also, there is zero tolerance for certain violations: assaults on staff, misuse of medication(this requires the officer to actually do their job which is another problem), weapons, theft, murder, escape attempts, rape, things like that. Assaults on staff, murder, rape, escape attempts buy you permanent maximum status. If you show you can't play well with others, you will be alone for life.

8: Canteen. You can buy items from canteen with the money you earn or sent from family. you'll have a spending account in which any fines or debts you owe will be drawn from. With the exception of televisions and radios, you have a maximum of $25 to spend. The rest will either be in escrow or used to pay fines and such. If you sue the state and win(you'd be surprised how often this happens) any monies you get will go into escrow and if you have fines and restitution, the maximum amount of money will be withdrawn. If you win a suit and get, say, $10K but you have fines, restitution, or other debts totaling $15K, every dime will go for that. Sorry about your luck. You went through that nonsense for naught. You want to force the state to pay, then you will be compelled to do the same. That's how life works. As for items on canteen, they will be limited to toiletries, undergarments, and a few snacks. If you're a diabetic, you will be barred from sweets. If you're obese to the point of needing medical attention for it, kiss snacks goodbye.

9: When you're due for release, you will be put in contact with employers. There are some. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances, you will be required to have a job lined up. Also, everyone will be required to go to a halfway house before release. This is where you will start your job and start your reintroduction into society. Any violation gets you put back inside. Again, a similar program is in place and it seems like every day we're going to the halfway houses across the street to being someone back in.

Anyhoo, I've been distracted coming up with this(doing this while taking care of dogs and babies) but this is the jist. Prison needs to be a place someone should be discouraged from returning to and it needs to cease being a long term vacation spot.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    The problem is they don't watch the news while in jail or prison. Many do have newspaper subscriptions and that should take care of their needs (if they have one) for current events.

Television does help pass the time and keeps them occupied but fights over the television are very common in group settings.
    I had 2 idiots in wheelchairs come to blows over the TV. But then again I've seen fights break out over cookies. To say these idiots are nothing but overgrown children is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post

I change my answer. This one is better, only with some variations with my ideas.

Sonnabend
    However, what a criminal loving liberal like yourself doesn't seem to understand is that thanks to your ilk's policies, prison is not prison.
    "cop basher"
    "prisoner loving liberal"

Both wrong, and I'll point out the difference between you and Adam. You come across as some kind of screeching lunatic, you know that?

He wrote a useful and logical reply.

You're just an abusive, foul mouthed troll (and a poor one at that) Those last two threads of yours are a classic example.

Sod off, swampy.

I've seen the same thing in nursing homes. Walking frames at 30 paces .She wanted soap operas, he wanted the footy.

We had to separate them
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 03-04-2014 at 07:27 PM.

The situation you describe was a common occurrence and still is today. Outside of prison. Oops. The people in prison also accomplished a lot in their lives, and still will after they leave prison. Their lives arent over...you seem to thnk that once they are in prison, to all intents and purposes their lives are over. Where do you get this idea from ?

Not everyone in there is a lifer, not everyone is a killer, or a rapist, or a violent felon.

They are not "treated better" - they are treated humanely. But you knew that. I have a serious question to ask you: lets say for arguments sake that they dont pay inmates. And the day of release you throw them out. No food, no money, no transport, no clothes worth wearing, no way to get from the prison to anywhere.

Where do they go? How do they live? How do they eat?

What is it you think a starving man or woman will do to achieve those basic needs? Hm? Steal food? And get arrested again and sent back to jail.

Judge much? I wonder if you could do a week in the prison system as a C.O? Something tells me you wouldn't last a day past your orientation.