1. #1 Longest-serving member of the house retiring. (Dingell) 
    John Dingell of suburban Detroit (Downriver suburbs and Ann Arbor) is retiring, after serving since the 50s. His father served in the seat before him and probably his wife will run for the seat now. If she doesn't, his son might-son being a family court judge whom I like a great deal, in a work sense.

Unless the GOP has a good challenger in mind. All the media people around here keep calling it a "safe democratic district".

A Dingall Berry successfully pealed loose from the halls of congress.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Michigan will still have the longest-serving member of the House when Dingell leaves at the end of the year. Conyers is still in office, although when he does retire, I don't think his wife will run for his seat. At least, I hope not. I think Coleman Young, Jr. will seek that seat when the day comes.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    John Dingell of suburban Detroit (Downriver suburbs and Ann Arbor) is retiring, after serving since the 50s. His father served in the seat before him and probably his wife will run for the seat now. If she doesn't, his son might-son being a family court judge whom I like a great deal, in a work sense.

Unless the GOP has a good challenger in mind. All the media people around here keep calling it a "safe democratic district".
    That's probably the understatement of the century. I guess they have that feeling of entitlement. It's tough to give up sucking off the government teat. In the City of St Louis (not St Louis County) it's impossible for a Republican to win. Even if they legitimately could win, all those folks from the grave would vote.

I guess people get the government they deserve. Detroit doesn't appear to have been helped by their current representation. I don't know when they'll ever learn.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    That's probably the understatement of the century. I guess they have that feeling of entitlement. It's tough to give up sucking off the government teat. In the City of St Louis (not St Louis County) it's impossible for a Republican to win. Even if they legitimately could win, all those folks from the grave would vote.

I guess people get the government they deserve. Detroit doesn't appear to have been helped by their current representation. I don't know when they'll ever learn.

Dingell's district isn't Detroit. It's the downriver (southwestern) suburbs, western Wayne County, and Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor). A GOP candidate could take the district, at least a RINO could. Dingell has held that seat partly due to the support of both the Big 3 and the UAW, and partly due to his own support of the 2nd Amendment and gun rights.

As far as Conyers is concerned, he does represent Detroit and some of the immediate surrounding suburbs. It blows my mind that he is still in office and that he is still married to the harpie/hootie. I lived in his district in the 90s, before he married Monica and I think that he keeps getting re-elected partly because he is perceived as someone who was involved in the civil rights movement and partly because no young democrat really wants to challenge him for the seat.

Never say never about Detroit-who ever thought there'd be another white mayor, after all?

I wonder if the real reason he is leaving is because he sees the writing on the wall?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Gawd - he's 87. He's probably been voting from the grave for years......
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

His wife Debbie announced yesterday that she is running to replace him. She's a bit younger than he, she's probably around my mom's age (mid 70s). Their son the judge is in my age range, somewhere between 45-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Gawd - he's 87. He's probably been voting from the grave for years......
    Well we know for sure once he is in said grave he will vote democrat
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

10. #10 Oh my God! Happy memories from Ann Arbor! 
    Thank you Noonwitch for the happy memories of SE MI. I grew up in A2 and know a little about Dingell.I remember a column that Chuck Moss wrote about Rep. Dingell back in 1988. He coined the nickname "Dingellfritz" and I never heard that name again after that. Yes I remember the crazy stuff that goes in in Detroit. It broke my heart to hear when Detroit went broke in 2013. I hope things get better for them.