Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,153
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    A court could rule that WBC's protests might be more political than religious given past protests. OTOH, it's been ruled that US flag burning is "free speech".

    Where the hell have this nation's senses been for the past half century...
    The beautiful thing about the 1st amendment is that all speech is protected. Even the proverbial "yelling fire in a crowded theater". However the 1st amendment doesn't protect the speaker from the consequences of their speech. If you yell FIRE in a crowded theater and no one reacts then you won't be reprimanded. However if yelling FIRE causes a stampede which creates property damage and injury, then you will be jammed up.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Are you saying that being gay is an unrecognized religion? If not, gays have 1st amendment protection like everyone else. Now kindly list the constitutional rights afforded to Phelps' gang that gays do not get. I'm still waiting.
    I did not call being gay a religion. I simply said that some of them may attend a church that recognizes the concept of gays not being bad or whatever and therefore may try to say that helping Phelps goes against their religion. Otherwise, they have no religion rights. Phelps does have them. If you don't get that argument, then I don't know what to say.

    I just thought of something. It's against my religion to call people names and to declare that God hates the world. I wonder if I could get away with refusing service to Phelps.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I just thought of something. It's against my religion to call people names and to declare that God hates the world. I wonder if I could get away with refusing service to Phelps.
    What kind of service do you have?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I did not call being gay a religion. I simply said that some of them may attend a church that recognizes the concept of gays not being bad or whatever and therefore may try to say that helping Phelps goes against their religion. Otherwise, they have no religion rights. Phelps does have them. If you don't get that argument, then I don't know what to say.

    I just thought of something. It's against my religion to call people names and to declare that God hates the world. I wonder if I could get away with refusing service to Phelps.
    No, I understand your argument completely. It's just a stupid argument. How is it stupid? Because those businesses owned by devout Christians couldn't deny services to gay couples wanting to marry based on religious grounds. Fail again, Laine. Now, stop fooling around and list me the constitutional rights afforded to Phelps' group that don't apply to gays.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,968
    Well, here's a test case for the OP:

    New Mexico GOP Gov. Susana Martinez’s Gay Hairdresser Refuses To Continue Cutting Her Hair Over Her Opposition To Gay Marriage

    New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez needs a new hairdresser — or a new stance on gay marriage.

    Martinez was recently dropped by her hair stylist, Antonio Darden, who is gay.
    http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03...onal-marriage/

    Darden told a local news station that he cut the governor’s hair three times, but won’t do it again as long as she continues to oppose gay marriage.

    “The governor’s aides called not too long ago, wanting another appointment to come in,” he told KOB-TV. “Because of her stances and her views on this, I told her aides no. They called the next day, asking if I’d changed my mind about taking the governor in and I said no.”

    Martinez has said she believes marriage should be between a man and woman.

    Darden, a popular stylist in Santa Fe and the owner of Antonio’s Hair Studio, has been with his partner for 15 years.

    “It’s just equality, dignity for everyone,” he said. “Everybody should be allowed the right to be together.”

    Read more at http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03...SKyoz8tCUU3.99


    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,329
    From one of the articles:


    For years (especially in 80’s movies about the beach) we were told “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service” and we all assumed that businesspeople had the right to refuse service to anyone they didn’t want to serve. In years past we also understood the free market better and knew that for the free market to operate fairly and justly, both parties had to CHOOSE to be part of the transaction.

    Forcing business owners to serve everyone no matter what is just as fascist and despotic as the government saying that some people CAN’T be served.

    Apparently, liberals are now openly embracing fascism.

    --------------------

    Now if I was the guvner I don't think I would want that man with sharp objects anywhere near me.......
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,062
    Well, here's a test case for the OP:

    New Mexico GOP Gov. Susana Martinez’s Gay Hairdresser Refuses To Continue Cutting Her Hair Over Her Opposition To Gay Marriage

    New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez needs a new hairdresser — or a new stance on gay marriage.

    Martinez was recently dropped by her hair stylist, Antonio Darden, who is gay.
    http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03...onal-marriage/

    Darden told a local news station that he cut the governor’s hair three times, but won’t do it again as long as she continues to oppose gay marriage.

    “The governor’s aides called not too long ago, wanting another appointment to come in,” he told KOB-TV. “Because of her stances and her views on this, I told her aides no. They called the next day, asking if I’d changed my mind about taking the governor in and I said no.”

    Martinez has said she believes marriage should be between a man and woman.

    Darden, a popular stylist in Santa Fe and the owner of Antonio’s Hair Studio, has been with his partner for 15 years.

    “It’s just equality, dignity for everyone,” he said. “Everybody should be allowed the right to be together.”

    Read more at http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03...SKyoz8tCUU3.99
    Kick for all Teh Gheys.

    Well? Should bone-smoker be forced to cut her hair or not?
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,133
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Kick for all Teh Gheys.

    Well? Should bone-smoker be forced to cut her hair or not?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,153
    I'm still waiting for Lainie to list me all the Constitutional rights that I get that gays don't get. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •