Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Power CUer
    The fault is for whoever thought a $300 casserole was worth buying in the first place. This may require a grayhound to remedy.
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    The fault is for whoever thought a $300 casserole was worth buying in the first place. This may require a grayhound to remedy.
    The problem is I bought it at Marshall's for about $35 or $40 years ago, and I'm too thrifty to pay that exorbitant price to replace it now.

Speaking of greyhounds, had to get them out of the kitchen quickly so they wouldn't cut their paws on all those broken pieces of glass.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

All my kitchen stuff is handmedowns from my mom or one of my grandmas. Since I never got married, I never registered for a china pattern or anything like that.

Since my parents sifted through their respective mother's things before I did, I didn't get anything of value.

Although this is funny:

About 10 years ago, my dad called me out of the blue and asked me if I had any dishes. I said yes, and he said it was too bad, otherwise I could have the Blue Willow china that he kept from "the divorce". I responded by saying I didn't know that he was offering that china, said I wanted it, and I guess I implied that it had financial value, because he said "well, since you said you had china already, I guess you don't need it". I never heard about the Blue Willow china again.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

About 10 years ago, my dad called me out of the blue and asked me if I had any dishes. I said yes, and he said it was too bad, otherwise I could have the Blue Willow china that he kept from "the divorce". I responded by saying I didn't know that he was offering that china, said I wanted it, and I guess I implied that it had financial value, because he said "well, since you said you had china already, I guess you don't need it". I never heard about the Blue Willow china again.
    So what did he do with the china? Did he marry again and give it to the second wife?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    No can do...

The replacement is...300 bucs!!! For a friggen cover!!!

If I bought it she'd just get madder. She already told me.

I'm Dooooooooooooooooooooomed.
    $300 for a LID? What brand is it? Is it made of platinum??
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    So what did he do with the china? Did he marry again and give it to the second wife?

I don't know what he did with it. He did marry again, but I don't think he gave her the dishes. I like 2nd wife, she's really nice, but she started to develop Alzheimer's a few years ago and she does not cook nor prepare food at all anymore.

If I know my dad, he sold the china at an auction and put the money into one of his mutual funds or something. Or he bought more Wendys stock with it. My dad believes in buying stock in businesses of which he is a frequent customer. He loves Wendys' chili.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know what he did with it. He did marry again, but I don't think he gave her the dishes. I like 2nd wife, she's really nice, but she started to develop Alzheimer's a few years ago and she does not cook nor prepare food at all anymore.

If I know my dad, he sold the china at an auction and put the money into one of his mutual funds or something. Or he bought more Wendys stock with it. My dad believes in buying stock in businesses of which he is a frequent customer. He loves Wendys' chili.
    Well, it's not a bad idea to buy stock in a business that you (and others) frequent. Too bad the china is gone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    He won't have to. In fact I've always preferred that he not do it.

I went to Replacements.com. They don't have it. Ebay has one for $280. The only other one is $180. I won't waste money on it. The problem is that it's the casserole that we use almost daily. And I've had it for almost 20 years. It's a Villeroy & Boch Naif pattern that's been discontinued for a long time.

Plus it goes with a setting for 12. I know that you can't just replace the lid. I've been trying for years to replace the lid that he broke on the casserole with my "good" china. It's Wedgewood, the Asia pattern that's also been discontinued for a number of years. Since that happened, I haven't used the china set.

I bought the miscellaneous Villeroy & Boch pieces at various Marshall's & TJ Maxx stores. I was on a mission to complete the set. I'd go to the stores between sales calls--used to sell office equipment to the feds. Many a lunch hour was spent scouting for just that extra piece. For the main things, the plates, gasp, I had to pay almost retail.

That's why I can't justify spending a ridiculous amount on the dish, even though I use it all the time, particularly in the microwave. It's oven to table, capable of being in the freezer, etc. Translated it's a super dish made by the good people in Luxembourg.

Yeah, SR is in trouble. I know he was just trying to help, but he's a guy who doesn't appreciate how good that china is and not all that careful. If they made a casserole out of paper plates, it would be a better bet.
    Which design is it, SLW? Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Which design is it, SLW? Do you have a link?
    If you can find a picture or a link post it up. Some of us junk store hunters just might trip over one some day.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Last edited by Rockntractor; 03-04-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg