Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Tensions rise in Crimea amid report of Russian ultimatum 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    By Marie-Louise Gumuchian and Susanna Capelouto, CNN
    updated 1:28 PM EST, Mon March 3, 2014

(CNN) -- Ukrainian officials say Aleksandr Vitko, the Russian commander of the Black Sea Fleet, went aboard a blocked Ukrainian warship in Crimea's Sevastopol Harbor on Monday and issued a threat:

"Swear allegiance to the new Crimean authorities, or surrender, or face an attack," he said, according to Vladislav Seleznev, a Ukrainian Defense Ministry spokesman in Crimea who spoke to CNN. He said the Russian commander did not mention an ultimatum deadline.

But a spokesman for the Russian Black Sea Fleet said there are no plans to storm Ukrainian military units in Crimea, according to the Interfax news agency.

The European Union foreign affairs council strongly condemned what it called Russia's "clear violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity" and demanded that Russia pull its forces back to their barracks.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

Conflicted about this one...

Eastern Ukraine/The Crimea IS majority Russian, so perhaps it ought to become part of the Russian federation. A peaceful referendum on this matter is far preferable to a war between Russia and the Ukraine, however.

I believe that Russia has legitimate security claims, and these should be acknowledged. But not at the barrel of a gun. I do NOT think NATO membership ought to be extended to the Ukraine--in fact, I see no reason for NATO to exist at all at this point in history. It should become part of the EU, however.

It would be a big mistake to so alienate Russia that it feels forced to make a closer alliance with China. That would not be to our benefit.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    BREAKING NEWS: Russian assault on UKR Navy HQ in Sebastopol has begun."
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: Russian assault on UKR Navy HQ in Sebastopol has begun."
    Only on twitter right now.

But here's a sidebar issue; there are Americans on the space station, and Russia is the only way to get there...just food for thought.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Only on twitter right now.

But here's a sidebar issue; there are Americans on the space station, and Russia is the only way to get there...just food for thought.
    The fact that they held off the assault until after the Olympics tells us they have enough class not to bring the space station into it. Putin does care a little about diplomacy, probably more so than obama.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    Conflicted about this one...

Eastern Ukraine/The Crimea IS majority Russian, so perhaps it ought to become part of the Russian federation. A peaceful referendum on this matter is far preferable to a war between Russia and the Ukraine, however.

I believe that Russia has legitimate security claims, and these should be acknowledged. But not at the barrel of a gun. I do NOT think NATO membership ought to be extended to the Ukraine--in fact, I see no reason for NATO to exist at all at this point in history. It should become part of the EU, however.

It would be a big mistake to so alienate Russia that it feels forced to make a closer alliance with China. That would not be to our benefit.

And yet here we are attempting it.

I find it alarming that no one can fathom why Russia might think that every former Soviet Sattelite being coaxed into the EU and NATO, might seem threatening to them.

NATO is a "guarantee" for security. It would be prudent for the US and Europe to be careful with that.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Think Putin just upped his warning and position on the mater.

The Strategic Rocket Forces launched an RS-12M Topol missile from the southerly Astrakhan region near the Caspian Sea and the dummy warhead hit its target at a proving ground in Kazakhstan, the state-run news agency RIA cited Defence Ministry spokesman Igor Yegorov as saying.
    That boys and girls is an intercontinental ballistic missile.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

There is a better chance that the people at Precious Moments will attack Russia then an obama led US.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Sonnabend
    RUSSIA has test-fired a nuclear-capable ICBM after President Vladimir Putin denied invading Ukraine - even as his troops ransacked an air base, took over border check points and his ships were repositioned to block a harbour. Earlier Russian soldiers fired warning shots at a group of unarmed Ukrainian soldiers (watch the video above) in a tense stand-off.

And the confusion continues this morning, with reports of armed men trying to board a Ukrainian naval command ship and speculation Russian warships may be stalking another of the country’s vessels.
    If that aint a message I dont know what is.