Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Why is rape not a capital offense? 
    Recycled Roadkill
    We kill murderers both as a warning to others and also so they can pay their debt to society. But what about rapists and child molesters? I'd argue that rape and child molestation is just as bad as murder. For a murder victim, the horror and pain and fear only have to happen once. But for a victim of rape or other sexual abuse, that pain never goes away, they have to live with the emotional and psychological scars, trauma, fear, distrust, shame and terror forever. I'm sure there are many victims of sexual assault who suffer with flashbacks and can't trust men, even good men, due to the evil that's been done to them. And in the case of child molestation, the beauty and bliss of childhood innocence is destroyed forever. Arguably as bad as a murder, basically sexual assault is basically killing someone else.

Yet, we try to 'understand' these filth who'd harm women and children. Our society tries to show how they were victims too. How they had such a horrible life. Fuck that!

Why do we give these monsters a second chance? Why do we waste tax dollars keeping them alive? Why not just execute them?

I am opposed to the death penalty in general, for any offense. As someone who works in children's services, I can give one pretty good reason for not applying it to sex crimes, especially if the perp is related to the victim-children can be influenced not to testify or even report abuse if they think that the perp is going to get executed for the crime. A child who is victimized, particularly by a bio or legal father, has complicated feelings about that person. Even if as an adult looking back, she wishes that person was dead, it would be worse if looking back that perp never paid any kind of price and went on to abuse others because the prosecutor had to throw the case out because the child wavered in her testimony against him.

I support life sentences with no possibility of parole for anyone over the age of 15 convicted of any sexual offense that involves penetration (including forcing someone to perform oral sex-in Michigan this is considered penetration, I don't know about other states).

There is also the philosophical argument-if the case is treated as a murder case, then is that child going to think her life is ruined by what happened? Should we as a society be sending the message to victims that their lives are over because they were raped?

I don't have a problem with an intended victim killing the perp in the act, or another party killing him to protect the victim, however. That's self-defense or defense of another.

Another CITM homework assignment I see. Simple answer: you ilk don't want murder to be a capital offense let alone rape. Your ilk likes to kill everything except convicted murderers and terrorists.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Another CITM homework assignment I see. Simple answer: you ilk don't want murder to be a capital offense let alone rape. Your ilk likes to kill everything except convicted murderers and terrorists.
    If we killed all the violent criminals, you'd be unemployed.

Sonnabend
    Another CITM homework assignment I see.
    CITM wasnt a student, just an out and out liar and BS artist. The number of people who fell hook, line and sinker for his BS still amazes me to this day.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 03-08-2014 at 08:44 AM.

All other considerations aside, if it was a death penalty case, there would be no reason for a rapist to ever risk leaving a live victim behind, leading to some pretty unpleasant unintended consequences.

Also, there's a long-standing US Supreme Court case called Coker v. Georgia that says you can't execute a perp for crime where nobody died.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If we killed all the violent criminals, you'd be unemployed.
    Please re-read my post and point out where I said kill all violent criminals. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Please re-read my post and point out where I said kill all violent criminals. I'll wait.

Why are you such a literalist? I didn't say that you did call for killing all violent criminals.

Eh. The death penalty is too costly and innefective. Also, innocent people have been wrongly executed. So i have to oppose the death penalty. Therefore, no, rape should not be a capital offense.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Eh. The death penalty is too costly and innefective. Also, innocent people have been wrongly executed. So i have to oppose the death penalty. Therefore, no, rape should not be a capital offense.
    Explain how it is ineffective. And please list all innocent people who were executed.