1. #1 New law drives Uganda's embattled gays deeper into shadows 
    By Drazen Jorgic and Philippa Croome

KAMPALA Sun Mar 9, 2014 6:27am EDT
    (Reuters) - With a World Bank scholarship and top grades in the first year of her masters degree in agriculture, 27-year-old Cleo Kambugu should be well on the road to her goal of an academic career in Uganda.

Instead, she's working out how to leave after the passing of a law that toughens prison sentences for homosexuality and a tabloid campaign to "out" gays.

"There is totally no hope right now," said Kambugu, still legally a man despite a sex change in the last year that is not recognized by Uganda, a nation that now has some of the toughest anti-gay laws on a continent where 37 states ban homosexuality.

She worries about her safety on the streets after the newspaper Red Pepper slapped her picture on its front page under the headline "How we became homos". The paper said such articles were in the public interest. Rights groups say it simply encourages people to take the law into their own hands.

The bill, signed into law by President Yoweri Museveni on February 24, has forced embattled gays deeper into the shadows, by threatening life in jail for "aggravated homosexuality" and a seven-year term for "aiding and abetting homosexuality".
    More>http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2806420140309

Looks like they are in deep shit.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Power CUer
    waiting for a "rest of the story" on this. we know aids has raken a terribke toll on uganda and has required them to take very decisive actions to deal with it. it also led to the ONLY successful program to turn the curve. (yes I said only). lefties hate it as ut emphasizes marriage and fidelity and (gasp) abstinance. in light of this can it really be surprising that homosexuality does not sit well with them ? before you answer, think about how you would feel if one out of 4 or 5 people you know died from aids over the span if a few years. image the effect on the economy and every other setting you are familiar with involving people.
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    waiting for a "rest of the story" on this. we know aids has raken a terribke toll on uganda and has required them to take very decisive actions to deal with it. it also led to the ONLY successful program to turn the curve. (yes I said only). lefties hate it as ut emphasizes marriage and fidelity and (gasp) abstinance. in light of this can it really be surprising that homosexuality does not sit well with them ? before you answer, think about how you would feel if one out of 4 or 5 people you know died from aids over the span if a few years. image the effect on the economy and every other setting you are familiar with involving people.
    http://www.aidsalliance.org/NewsDetails.aspx?Id=291463

Other clauses within the bill mean that the reputation of anyone working with the gay or lesbian population such as medical doctors working on HIV and AIDS and civil society leaders active in the field of sexual and reproductive health could be severely compromised.If the bill is passed it could lead to even more HIV infections in marginalised populations, especially among men who have sex with men. They will be prevented from having access to essential public health information, such as how to protect themselves from HIV and how to access life saving treatment and support services that are stigma-free.
    Recent national data indicates a decline in condom use and public health programming generally is impeded due to the criminalisation of homosexual behaviour and the related widespread stigma.
    http://www.avert.org/hiv-aids-uganda.htm

Almost a quarter of people living with HIV in Uganda are part of the education system - either students or staff.10 Only 39 percent of young people aged 15 to 24 know all the necessary facts about how HIV can be prevented, suggesting a lack of clear sex education.11 Women in particular are in need of sex education and access to HIV services; HIV prevalence is 5.4 percent, compared to 2.4 percent amongst men.12 The fact that Ugandan women tend to marry and become sexually active at a younger age than their male counterparts, and often have older and more sexually experienced partners, places them at an increased risk of HIV. AVERT.org has more about women and HIV. - See more at: http://www.avert.org/hiv-aids-uganda....fY2GemDa.dpuf
    So, they need more education on how to prevent AIDS and they need more access to services. Also, couples need to be tested before marriage because the men too often have aids and they're giving it to their wives.

I haven't found any statistics on which group of people have AIDS more often, but I do know on a worldwide level that heterosexuals get AIDS more often.

A witch hunt for homosexuals and their supposed allies will not solve the problem. It will put people in prison for homosexuality. It will put people in prison for being *believed* to be homosexual (because there's an official witch hunted to "out" homosexuals and you know they won't all be homosexual). It will put people in prison for not reporting somebody that they suspected as homosexual. Now, think about this. Let's supposed we were all in Uganda.

Nova would go to prison for the rest of his life just for being gay. The rest of us would be in trouble as well. We just didn't think it was important enough to report it to the law. The staff here would really be in trouble because they allowed Nova to post here. They would be seen as promoting the homosexual lifestyle. Then, it would come out that there were rumors that I was gay. Coach, you've been here long enough that you know that rumor got formed years ago. So now, I will no longer go to prison for being an accessory to homosexuality. I will be going to prison for seventy years for homosexuality even though I never kissed a girl, much less liked it.

From there, all our families will be investigated. They will want to know about who knew about the homosexuality. Then, they will find further rumors of homosexuality with some of our family and friends. They will not be in trouble. The hunt goes on and on and so will AIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

Nova would go to prison for the rest of his life just for being gay.

I thought "being gay" is just the excuse he keeps giving his mom for never having a girl friend.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post

In Africa, AIDS and HIV has been spread through heterosexual sex, and that is why it has so devastated some parts of the continent-parents, children, in parts there is a generation that is currently reaching adulthood who have been orphans most of their lives due to AIDS killing their parents. The virus originally appeared in the human population in Africa.

This is more due to religious prejudice than anything else. The leader of Uganda is not citing AIDS when he talks about imprisoning gays and those who support them, he is justifying these "policies" by saying it's the Christian thing to do. As much as you may find it insulting to Jesus when the WalMart clerk says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" to you at Christmastime, I find it insulting to Jesus to use his name to justify the persecution of any group of people.

Power CUer
    Yes and there are men who have sex with men yet do not consider it to be homosexual. So we see that Africa (or anywhere else in the 3rd world) is not like here I do not understand trying to make comparisons to here. We can all agree that aids is a huge problem there but education is about as effective there as i5 was here. Which is to say not very. So where do you turn next ?
    If you like your congress crittets you can keep them. If you don't, you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    http://www.aidsalliance.org/NewsDetails.aspx?Id=291463

Nova would go to prison for the rest of his life just for being gay.
    Nova would go to prison for making some unsupported smart-ass comment to cop. They wouldn't even ask (or care) what he was doing in the bedroom.