Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Flight MH370 Black Box 
    They say we may never know what happened to this flight because the black box could be lost forever at the bottom of the sea.
    In terms of data and actual file sizes what the black box records in one flight is minuscule, it could easily be uploaded as the plane flies in really time at a meaningless cost and the simplest technology.
    Governments around the world go to great lengths today just to eavesdrop on ordinary law abiding citizens and you mean to tell me that with all the technology we have that the best they can come up with is a system where they have to have the physical black box laying on a table in front of them just to know what the hell happened on an aircraft the size of three semi tractor trailer rigs loaded with hundreds of people.
    I have friends who drive truck and the companies know instantly if they speed or if anything irregular is happening with the truck, there is a constant real time satellite connection to almost every truck on the road in the nation whether or not the driver is sleeping or awake or the truck is rolling or idling.
    What kind of BS are they feeding us here?
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 03-09-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    NTSB must like old tech.

But is still something you can put your hands on assuming it's found.

An uplink could go down, leave a gap. Black Boxes can break too though.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    NTSB must like old tech.

But is still something you can put your hands on assuming it's found.

An uplink could go down, leave a gap. Black Boxes can break too though.
    I assumed they had sense enough to have both. I really have a hard time believing they don't.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Power CUer
    They tracked this thing and they know what happened. They just don't want it coming out.

And if some intelligence agency set it up, other nations will have a vested interest in not appearing so vulnerable.

Some more along the lines of your thinking Rock.......

Why Do Airlines Keep ‘Black Box’ Flight Data Trapped on Planes?

To solve the mystery of what happened to Malaysia Airlines (MAS:MK) Flight MH370, investigators need the airplane’s data and voice recorders. In an airplane tragedy, however, the information stored in the so-called black box inevitably ends up inside a wreck. This seems like a terrible place to keep the clue you need to find most.

As investigators scour the Gulf of Thailand and waters as far north as Hong Kong for debris from the Boeing (BA) 777-200 that vanished en route to Beijing on Saturday, there’s almost no indication yet of what doomed the flight and the 239 passengers on board. So far, at least, no wreckage or jet fuel has been found. Without recovering the black box, there’s little way to know what caused a plane cruising at 35,000 feet to disappear from radar.

Why not transmit this flight data off the plane so it’s accessible almost instantly? Airlines, after all, track each of their flights everywhere in the world and can advise crews on course adjustments, security alerts, quick weather changes, and a host of other situations. Passengers are routinely offered in-air Wi-Fi and live television these days. So why keep vital data trapped on the plane?

The answer is mostly about one issue: cost. Sending all the data from each flight in real time via satellite would be enormously expensive. A 2002 study by L-3 Aviation Recorders (LLL) and a satellite provider found that a U.S. airline flying a global network would need to spend $300 million per year to transmit all its flight data, even assuming a 50 percent reduction in future satellite transmission costs. And that’s just a single airline. Commercial airline disasters, meanwhile, are becoming even more uncommon as technology and techniques improve—in part thanks to lessons from past crashes—so there’s little incentive for investing heavily in real-time data.

Businessweek last explored this question in July 2009 as French and Brazilian authorities searched a wide section of the Atlantic Ocean for a missing Air France (AF:FP) flight. The data recorders aboard the Airbus (AIR:FP) A330 remained missing for almost two years, some 2 miles beneath the surface, before searchers finally recovered them.

If the Malaysia Airlines flight did go down at sea, as searchers believe, waters in the suspected crash area are much shallower than in the region of the Atlantic where the French jet went down. In both cases, meanwhile, the flight data and cockpit voice recorders were made by Honeywell (HON) Aerospace. Despite the conventional term “black box,” the Honeywell recorders and most others in use are actually bright orange in color.

Of course, there remains the possibility that a powerful enough calamity could have obliterated the data boxes on the Malaysia flight, leaving investigators without their best hope for discovering what went wrong. No data recorders were ever recovered from the two Boeing airplanes that crashed into the World Trade Center.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I don't believe this cost estimate for one fucking minute, they do this on a daily basis with almost every tractor trailer on the road, I call total bullshit!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I don't believe this cost estimate for one fucking minute, they do this on a daily basis with almost every tractor trailer on the road, I call total bullshit!
    You're thinking US and basically one dimensional - controlled by the surface of the earth. They are thinking 3D including altitude and all around the world.

And..... nobody is going to do it until a law is passed requiring it.

It makes no difference to the satellites where you are, they cover the planet, they know what happened to this plane

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

highly doubtful according to my commercial airline pilot friends.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I wonder if the ChiComs just stole the plane???

"Sooooo, no pay laundry bill eh????"

I know it's in bad taste but I couldn't resist any longer...
    May the FORCE be with you!