1. #1 Scientists: Test West Coast for Fukushima radiation 
    SALEM, Ore. -- Very low levels of radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster likely will reach ocean waters along the U.S. West Coast next month, scientists are reporting.
    Current models predict that the radiation will be at extremely low levels that won't harm humans or the environment, said Ken Buesseler, a chemical oceanographer at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution who presented research on the issue last week.
    But Buesseler and other scientists are calling for more monitoring. No federal agency currently samples Pacific Coast seawater for radiation, he said.
    "I'm not trying to be alarmist," Buesseler said. "We can make predictions, we can do models. But unless you have results, how will we know it's safe?"
    The news comes three years after the devastating Japan tsunami and resulting nuclear accident.
    On March 11, 2011, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake hit off the coast of Japan, triggering a tsunami with waves as high as 133 feet. More than 15,000 people died and about 6,000 were injured.
    The earthquake and tsunami knocked out power to cooling pumps at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant complex, causing meltdowns at three reactors.
    Last July, Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the plant, acknowledged for the first time that the reactor was leaking contaminated underground water into the ocean.
    Since then, the news has gotten worse, and there is widespread suspicion that the problem is underreported.
    There are three competing models of the Fukushima radiation plume, differing in amount and timing. But all predict that the plume will reach the West Coast this summer, and the most commonly cited one estimates an April arrival, Buesseler said.
    A report presented last week at a conference of the American Geophysical Union's Ocean Sciences Section showed that some Cesium 134 has already has arrived in Canada, in the Gulf of Alaska area.
    Cesium 134 serves as a fingerprint for Fukushima, Buesseler said.
    Read More>http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ation/6213849/
    Will this cause Californians to act strange, if so how will we know?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Only if some on the left coast start acting normal will there be any indication.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    They need to do this but they won't--not until lots of tourists start losing their hair or growing fins.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    They need to do this but they won't--not until lots of tourists start losing their hair or growing fins.

I agree that they need to monitor the radiation levels on the west coast. That reactor let out a lot of radiation, it is inevitable that some will find it's way to the Pacific coast.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I agree that they need to monitor the radiation levels on the west coast. That reactor let out a lot of radiation, it is inevitable that some will find it's way to the Pacific coast.
    I've seen warnings in the health food press not to eat west coast fish, especially from the Canadian coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I've seen warnings in the health food press not to eat west coast fish, especially from the Canadian coast.

And women of child-bearing age (and children) should not eat fish from the Great Lakes due to mercury levels.

I guess it's best to stick with fish grown in hatcheries, unless one can afford Maine lobsters.