Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 College Grads Now Doing the Jobs High School Grads Used to Do 
    Power CUer
    College Grads Now Doing the Jobs High School Grads Used to Do
    http://collegeinsurrection.com/2014/...ds-used-to-do/

Jeanina Jenkins, a 20-year-old high-school graduate from St. Louis, is stuck in a $7.82-an-hour part-time job at McDonald’s Corp. that she calls a “last resort” because nobody would offer her anything better.

Stephen O’Malley, 26, a West Virginia University graduate, wants to put his history degree to use teaching high school. What he’s found instead is a bartender’s job in his home town of Manasquan, New Jersey.

Jenkins and O’Malley are at opposite ends of a dynamic that is pushing those with college degrees down into competition with high-school graduates for low-wage jobs that don’t require college. As this competition has intensified during and after the recession, it’s meant relatively higher unemployment, declining labor market participation and lower wages for those with less education.

The jobless rate of Americans ages 25 to 34 who have only completed high school grew 4.3 percentage points to 10.6 percent in 2013 from 2007, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. Unemployment for those in that age group with a college degree rose 1.5 percentage points to 3.7 percent in the same period.

“The underemployment of college graduates affects lesser educated parts of the labor force,” said economist Richard Vedder, director of the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, a not-for-profit research organization in Washington. “Those with high-school diplomas that normally would have no problem getting jobs as bartenders or taxi drivers are sometimes kept from getting the jobs by people with college diplomas,” said Vedder, who is also a Bloomberg View contributor.....

They are doing the jobs Mexicans won't do.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I advise young people to look at getting into the blue collar type jobs. Plumber, electrician, machinists, welders, carpenters etc. There are many open jobs for people now and many more will be open in the future as the older workers retire.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

I graduated college in 2005. Since then, I've worked in retail, convenience store, substitute teaching, interning, and now a call center. I've struggled very hard to get a full time job way passed minimum wage. Just thought I'd say that.

Recycled Roadkill
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I graduated college in 2005. Since then, I've worked in retail, convenience store, substitute teaching, interning, and now a call center. I've struggled very hard to get a full time job way passed minimum wage. Just thought I'd say that.
    What was your degree in?

Why do so many people of our generation (I'm 23 so a bit younger than you) struggle to get good paying jobs that could help us provide for families? In the 50s and 60s a guy could just have a high school diploma, drive a cab and still manage to provide for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They are doing the jobs Mexicans won't do.

I made more money in the trades and factories when I was in my late teens and 20's then my friends could make with college degrees, if they could even find a job. That was a few years ago. This is not really anything new

Looking back I wish I had a college degree

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    It's tough that is for sure.

Would this help?

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It's tough that is for sure.

Would this help?

Give me an M&M bar.

SquareDealer, it was History. The original plan was to teach social studies. That didn't work out. I was always told there were plenty of people who wanted somebody with a college degree, especially in government. What I found is that you often have to know somebody. I'm introverted, so that's an issue for me. Between my own situation and watching people who aren't qualified for a job get one, I've grown to completely hate the networking system. I'm not lying. I actually know of a guy who got to be CEO of a company. Was he qualified? Nope. In fact, his last company went down. No, he's sleeping with the boss. He's not even married to her. He's having sex with her. He got in and put unqualified people into positions, made them work three jobs, and fired those he didn't like. He saw himself as an enlightened liberal. I'm waiting for the day when he can have it stuck to him.

Okay, rant off.

Today the word is that "everyone needs a degree".

BS! when I went to school there were firm 'going to college' study plans and 'going to work' study plans.

The 'going to college' plan included all the STEM classes you could take along with two years of a foreign language. The 'going to work' plan taught auto mechanics, welding, carpentry, plumbing, etc. The second group was out there working while the first group was still in college. but 15 years later, the degreed person out earned the non-degree individual, sometimes as much as 2-1.

The offer of an education in the crafts is not even there today. When I went away to jr college my dad wanted me to take a barbers course in the summer as something to fall back on. The idea that everyone with a degree was going to succeed was never there.

The only thing he ever made me promise about making a living was that I would never play drums for a career. But that's another story.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.