Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I wonder if some of my new GQ hires feel this way?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There aren't many fields that are hiring people right out of college, but one is and it pays well (unlike it did in the past): Nursing.

Even a 2 year LPN degree pays pretty well, but a BSN/RN degree pays very well these days, at least for nurses who work in hospitals. They (the RNs) can start out at around$50,000 a year, in some markets. A specialty nurse (surgical, nurse anesthetist, etc.) can make upwards of $80-90,000 at some hospitals.
    In some states it's even higher. You can also be an RN with only a two year degree. Those with a BSA in nursing make more and have more opportunity.

Some hospitals have quit hiring and if they do need someone they are only using contract agencies due to the ACA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I wonder if some of my new GQ hires feel this way?
    Just for the record, I don't feel the way about *my* current place of employment. It's just stuff I've watched over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I graduated college in 2005. Since then, I've worked in retail, convenience store, substitute teaching, interning, and now a call center. I've struggled very hard to get a full time job way passed minimum wage. Just thought I'd say that.
    Since I began working in the "real" workforce at age 18' I have only been unemployed for four days. Four days in thirty six years.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

It's pretty understandable, if you've seen what college courses outside the realm of science and engineering are like these days. If you're over 50, the high school courses you had were considerably more rigorous than today's undergrad courses, and I don't mean just the freshman level ones.

If you hire someone with a liberal arts BA or social science BS now, you're getting about what your father got when he hired a high school graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It's pretty understandable, if you've seen what college courses outside the realm of science and engineering are like these days. If you're over 50, the high school courses you had were considerably more rigorous than today's undergrad courses, and I don't mean just the freshman level ones.

If you hire someone with a liberal arts BA or social science BS now, you're getting about what your father got when he hired a high school graduate.
    That's probably true, DAT.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Since I began working in the "real" workforce at age 18' I have only been unemployed for four days. Four days in thirty six years.
    The only time I ever drew unemployment, I was 15.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Graduated a 1 year technical school, online classes so I could stay on my parents insurance since Tricare is government insurance they're exempt from the 26 age limit unless you're in school, in December of 2012 started applying to every entry level job I could find. I prayed, prayed and prayed some more and I ended up getting a call from a pest company looking for a termite tech at 11 an hour, with a truck to take home and nice benefits with plenty of overtime. This allowed me to finally get married after 6 years (7 years april 2nd) and to move out of the parents house.

By the way, my certificate was in Web Design XD