Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lesbian Professor’s Fall To Grace 
    Power CUer
    Lesbian Professor’s Fall To Grace
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/16688/

As a tenured lesbian professor at Syracuse University, Dr. Rosario Champagne Butterfield set out to study and ultimately expose the “Religious Right” as fanatical bigots, but a funny thing happened on her proverbial road to Damascus.

She accepted Jesus Christ into her heart, stopped having sex with women, and is now in the midst of telling her conversion story to the masses, including at colleges nationwide.

The story of Dr. Butterfield is chronicled in her book The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor’s Journey into Christian Faith. And as some might have guessed by now, she is no longer a tenured professor of English at Syracuse University.

“After her conversion to Christianity in 1999, she developed a ministry to college students,” her website states. “She has taught and ministered at Geneva College and is a full-time mother and pastor’s wife, part-time author, and occasional speaker.”

Her recent campus speaking engagements have prompted protests – at both secular and Christian campuses. Yes, Christian college students actually protested the scholar’s visit.

Undeterred, Butterfield continues into the fray, telling her life story with raw humility and gut-wrenching honesty. Some Christian students have said it’s one of the most powerful testimonies they’ve ever heard.

In a talk for the Family Research Council last summer, Butterfield launched into her autobiography by mentioning her Catholic upbringing, and said it wasn’t until college that her lesbian tendencies formed, that an “undercurrent of longing inserted itself in intense friendships with women.”

“In my late 20s, enhanced by feministic philosophy and lesbian and gay political advocacy, my homosocial preference morphed into homosexuality,” Butterfield said.

“That shift was subtle, not startling,” she said. “My lesbian identity and my love for my LGBT community developed in sync with my lesbian sexual practice.”

The scholar acknowledged that she felt lesbianism was her “true self,” that life “finally came together for me and made sense.”Rosaria2

After graduating from Ohio State University, she settled in New York as an English professor at Syracuse University while living with her lesbian partner. They rescued dogs and volunteered for community causes together, and even attended a progressive church.

“My life as a lesbian seemed normal,” she said. “I considered it an enlightened, chosen path. Lesbianism felt like a cleaner and more moral choice, always preferring symmetry to asymmetry, I believed I had found my real sense.”

“As a professor of English in women’s studies, I cared about morality, justice, and compassion…I was fervent for the world views of Freud, Hegel, Marx and Darwin. I strove to stand with the disempowered.”

Butterfield said she led a happy and meaningful life, but in 1997 – spurred by her hatred of the Bible – she began researching the “Religious Right and their politics of hatred.”

She wrote an op-ed in the local newspaper that was read by many and prompted a variety of fan mail and hate mail. But one letter she received from a local Presbyterian pastor defied a category. It was polite, professional, challenging. Butterfield threw it away, then dug it out of the trash, perplexed by its request that she defend the presuppositions that had undergirded her op-ed.

She accepted his invitation, and became friends with the pastor and his wife...

...And then, “one Sunday morning, two years after I first met (the pastor and his wife), I left the home of my lesbian partner and sat in the pew of the Syracuse Reformed Presbyterian Church.”

It was there she had a vision: “The image that crashed like waves of a raging sea was of me and everyone I love suffering in Hell. It vomited into my consciousness and gripped me … not primarily because we were gay, but because we were proud, we wanted to be autonomous.”

“It was our hearts first, our bodies followed. I got it. I heard it, finally. I counted the costs and I did not like the math. This was my crucible, and it is my crucible.”

From that point on, she prayed for “obedience before understanding,” and prayed to become a Godly woman, she said.

“I still felt like a lesbian, but what is my true identity, I wondered?” she said. “The Bible makes clear the difference between real and true. What is bigger, my lesbian identity… or God’s authority over me?”

God won.

“One ordinary day I came to Jesus,” she said. “We were singing from Psalm 119:56 … After I sang the words, something shifted. This Bible was not mine. I had scorned it, cursed it … but had been reading it and reading it.”...

Wow! Too bad our local gheys aren't here, to dispute this....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    He is still recovering after being savaged by that rabid gerbil.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    What would be disputed?
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    What would be disputed?
    They say you are born homosexual and don't change.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They say you are born homosexual and don't change.
    I think some people can change, especially if they feel that God is supporting them. However, it's not always an issue of turning heterosexual. There are cases where people turn to God and live celibate and single for the rest of their lives. Even most heterosexuals seem to think "Celibacy. Oh the horror!" We're completely taken hostage from the fucking sexual "revolution." It's at a point to where people think they *have* to have somebody to have sex with.

But then, there's the issue of wanting a partner in life. I won't lie. I do want that. I can't imagine how I'd feel or what I'd want to do if the only type of person I wanted to partner up with was a woman. There are conversion cases, but there are also cases of gays trying to change and not being able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I think some people can change, especially if they feel that God is supporting them. However, it's not always an issue of turning heterosexual. There are cases where people turn to God and live celibate and single for the rest of their lives. Even most heterosexuals seem to think "Celibacy. Oh the horror!" We're completely taken hostage from the fucking sexual "revolution." It's at a point to where people think they *have* to have somebody to have sex with.

But then, there's the issue of wanting a partner in life. I won't lie. I do want that. I can't imagine how I'd feel or what I'd want to do if the only type of person I wanted to partner up with was a woman. There are conversion cases, but there are also cases of gays trying to change and not being able to.
    I don't like labels, i have always pealed them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

With God anyone can change their lifestyle if they actually want to. Unless you don't believe God has the power to change people.

I don't think people are so worried about not having a sex life as they are about not having someone special in their life. So many people seem to jump from relationship to relationship searching for love in all the wrong places and then they wonder why their lives are all screwed up and filled with drama. Throw in a few kids with only one parent (and at times different last names) and it gets worse.

Celibacy sounds boring but necessary at times.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 03-19-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    With God anyone can change their lifestyle if they actually want to. Unless you don't believe God has the power to change people.

I don't think people are so worried about not having a sex life as they are about not having someone special in their life. So many people seem to jump from relationship to relationship searching for love in all the wrong places and then they wonder why their lives are all screwed up and filled with drama. Throw in a few kids with only one parent (and at times different last names) and it gets worse.

Celibacy sounds boring but necessary at times.
    I believe God has the power to change people. I just believe that he doesn't necessarily want to. I knew somebody who said he specifically prayed to God not to be gay and felt like he was being told no. There are others who pray to God to change, but don't get their prayer granted. Maybe God has a plan that even his closest children don't understand. Some people may not be willing to go along with that plan and it messes things up, but maybe God's intentions were for a bigger plan. For example, maybe God wants to use a Christian gay person to promote celibacy. Paul (who people love to quote in regards to homosexuality) specifically said that if one can stay celibate, that they were better off not getting married. Of course, he said people who couldn't hold it needed to get married.

I don't know whether being gay is due to genetic factors or environmental ones. I don't really care. It could be like anything else, a combination of factors. Sexuality is complicated because people are complicated.

I think that there is a connection between childhood sexual abuse victimization and some homosexuality, male and female. I've been working in my field too long to ignore what is obvious, although in a professional sense, we are not supposed to acknowledge that there is any connection.

I also know plenty of gay people who were never abused as children. They just are gay, but otherwise pretty emotionally healthy, with stable relationships and the like.

There are people who claim that when they became Christians, they were no longer gay. There are others who claim the opposite. Who am I to take a side in that? Everybody has their own story.