1. #1 Jittery Canadians Now Fear Shower Curtains. 
    Your plastic shower curtain may be a health hazard
    Updated Thu. Jun. 12 2008 1:08 PM ET

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- A new study says some plastic shower curtains may be hazardous to your health.

The U.S.-based Centre for Health, Environment and Justice says polyvinyl chloride (PVC) shower curtains may release 108 toxic chemicals into the air.

The study found the ubiquitous PVC curtains contain harmful chemicals that can cause a litany of adverse health effects to the lungs, central nervous system, liver and kidneys.

The study examined shower curtains purchased in the U.S. from Bed Bath and Beyond, Kmart, Sears, Target and Wal-Mart stores -- but most major Canadian retailers carry some variety of vinyl shower curtain.

A spokeswoman for Bed Bath and Beyond in Canada says the retailer is aware of the study's findings and is moving away from PVC curtains.

Environmental Defence and the Canadian Environmental Law Association released the study in Canada and are calling on Ottawa to ban PVC curtains and force manufacturers and retailers to instead sell cotton ones.
    Because everybody knows that mold and mildew are simply harmless creatures of God that never, ever caused any health-related issues for people.

Shower Curtain of Death!

Patent Member
    I find it hard to believe that there exist any U.S. based Centres for anything.

Silly Canadians.

Goldwater
    My shower curtain attacked me once, yes, it took five members of the police and a neighbour to seperate us as we fought.

If I ever see him again...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    My shower curtain attacked me once, yes, it took five members of the police and a neighbour to seperate us as we fought.

If I ever see him again...
    Pics? It wasn't a "Finding Nemo" themed curtain, was it? I had a bad experience with one of those once.

*broods*

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Because everybody knows that mold and mildew are simply harmless creatures of God that never, ever caused any health-related issues for people.

Shower Curtain of Death!
    The Canucks should go back to the old galvanized washtub on Saturday and stay away from showers !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The Canucks should go back to the old galvanized washtub on Saturday and stay away from showers !
    I assume they will. Standing up with soap and water is an obvious safety hazard.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Pics? It wasn't a "Finding Nemo" themed curtain, was it? I had a bad experience with one of those once.

*broods*
    Did you purchase that to match your "themed" toilet seat?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Did you purchase that to match your "themed" toilet seat?
    It wa the other way around. Tragically.

noonwitch
    I buy my shower curtains from the dollar store, so they are probably made in China and have lead in them.

Of course, they don't tell you that the hazards these chemicals pose were discovered by dosing lab rats with thousand and thousands of times the levels of exposure any person will ever get from a shower curtain.